News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Erdmann

French GCA
« on: May 10, 2006, 09:26:55 AM »
A friend of mine just mentioned to me that the company he works for is going to be designing a course in France.  Have there been many new courses built in France in the last 3 or 4 years or so?  If so, what are some of the courses and what are they like?  Have there been many American architects doing work there or do they normally use local French architects or someone from Europe?

Steve_Lemmon

Re:French GCA
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 10:39:43 AM »
OK, not to highjack your very professional thread, but I heard many years ago that there is a course in France that, viewed from above, looked like a naked woman. (none of the smiley faces seemed to have a leer or I would have put one in here.)   That is all I know about French golf course architecture.  Can anyone tell me if this is true, or simply a wild story?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 10:43:56 AM »
I just got off the phone with the CEO of Jones Jr's company. They are working of deals there as we speak. There is a good bit of activity in Europe right now.

Stuart Hallett

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 03:15:28 PM »
Mike,

Activity is definitely picking up, but most projects seem to still be in the veeery long planning stages (4-7years). Plenty of gossip, but confirmed projects include :

18 at St-Emilion, originally to be designed by D. Kidd who recently pulled out due to other commitments. The developer, who I think has good taste, told me last week that they now have a well known American, didn't want to say who until confirmation.  
36 at Sangate (links site), Kyle Phillips has been named but I have no idea when construction will start.

The Americans are highly regarded and have the edge on European architects for the big projects. D. Thomas is the exception and may do another 18 at Terre Blanche, only if the other 36 is not destroyed by ecologists who are apparently well placed in a fierce legal battle, serious stuff.
Apart from that, I heard of a recent visit by B. Coore, maybe the new St-Emilion man, I don't know for sure. Trent Jones and von Hagge have always been the two big favorites in France, I'm sure they'll be back soon.
Smaller projects are keeping a handful of france based architects ticking over. Historic courses are certainly showing a lot of interest for renovation/remodelling, as architectural awarness is now being transmitted and translated by a few of us anglophones.

Steve,

Robert Berthet designed the course, Golf de Mācon La Salle. I only have this pic of a foot, but it's a start and maybe already too much for a foot fetishist.

Steve_Lemmon

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 03:23:14 PM »
Stuart:  thanks.  I was thinking maybe it was just a sick dream of mine...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back