News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Shimp

Best "beginners" architecture books
« on: May 06, 2006, 09:48:08 AM »
I've read Shackleford's survey on golden age designers and doaks "anatomy" but am not sure where to go next?  

I'm sure there must be dozens of threads on this but I couldn't find a good one.  Thanks in advance for the advice.

Ian Andrew

Re:Best "beginners" architecture books
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 10:20:30 AM »
Definately George Thomas's Golf Architecture in America.

Fairly straight forward and full of excellent information, still one of my favourites of all time.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 11:04:05 AM »
Another great book is Shackelford's "Grounds for Golf".  I think it's really one of the best modern books on golf architecture.  There are also some excellent drawings by Gil Hanse throughout the book.  Definitely a must read and he makes it very easy to understand.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 11:50:34 AM »
John,

Hurdzan's "Golf Course Architecture"
Klein's "A Walk in the Park" and/or "Desert Forest Golf Club" and/or "Rough Meditations"
Shackleford's "Alister MacKenzie's Cypress Point Club" and/or "The Art of Golf Design"
Brydy's "The Augusta National Golf Club"
Any of Daley's "Golf Architecture: A Worldwide Perspective" series

JJ

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 12:49:22 PM »
John,
As with many of the titles mentioned above, I would also heartily suggest The Architectural Side of Golf by Wethered & Simpson, as well as The Links by Robert Hunter. All of them can be obtained in reprints, which are of a very good quality.

gookin

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 02:59:15 PM »
My favorite is Scotland's Gift Golf by Macdonald

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 03:55:58 PM »
David,

While I enjoyed "Scotland's Gift" as well, the amount of pages dedicated to architecture is limited.

TK

Bill Gayne

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 04:23:03 PM »
I would suggest keeping a list of titles and watch Ebay. All of the books listed come up on a regular basis and most at a significant discount. The only exceptions being Doak's Confidential Guide and early first edition stuff like Golf Architecture in America.

Even recent publications such as Bunkers, Pits, & Other Hazards, I've already been able to buy on Ebay at a substantial discount.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 04:23:41 PM by Bill Gayne »

Brian Phillips

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 04:42:00 PM »
For once I agree with Tommy, The Links is one book that I carry around with me often and a great beginner, wake up call type book.

Any book by The Shack is worth every single dollar.

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

wsmorrison

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 05:17:28 PM »
I found "Grounds for Golf" by Geoff Shackelford a worthy read for anyone interested in golf architecture.  There's a lot of excellent material packed into the book.  As Brian said, any book by Geoff is worth it!

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 05:17:38 PM »
I would add Paul Daley's books to this mix, 'Golf Architecture: A Worldwide Perspective', vol.1,2,3.

John Shimp

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 08:29:03 AM »
Guys,
Thanks for all of the good thoughts.  I'll start trying to make a dent.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 10:31:55 AM »
I think Shack's Lines of Charm gives an interesting insight into the thinking of the old dead guys.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back