News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Steve_ Shaffer

News from Scioto
« on: May 25, 2006, 08:37:13 AM »
From golfcoursenews.com

Golf course architect Michael Hurdzan readily accepted the challenge he was given with a recent project: redesign the golf course at Scioto Country Club in Columbus, Ohio, without compromising its style.
The 18-hole course was originally designed by the legendary golf course architect Donald J. Ross and opened in 1914. It was redesigned by Dick Wilson in the 1960s but had remained unchanged since then.
“A course needs to be continually updated to look its best,” says Hurdzan, principal at Hurdzan/Fry.
Hurdzan is overseeing three phases of renovations to Scioto. The first two phases, carried out each winter for the past two years, are complete. Last year, the bunkers around the greens were remodeled. The crew took out the old sand, improved tile drainage at the bottom of each bunker, and finished by recontouring and reshaping them. This creates a higher aesthetic level, Hurdzan says.

Here's the rest of the article with pics:

http://www.golfcoursenews.com/news/news.asp?ID=2440
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

redanman

Re:News from Scioto
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 08:39:00 AM »
From the article

“A course needs to be continually updated to look its best,” says Hurdzan, principal at Hurdzan/Fry.

The course is only becoming more appealing, according to Hurdzan.
“Golfers are enjoying a round of golf more, and that’s what we’ve been trying to do.”
There has been much positive response so far, Yoder adds.

“The real test will be when the pros come.”

Agree or disagree?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 08:40:21 AM by BillV aka redanman® »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 09:08:46 AM »
I disagree about "the real test."The real test is day to day member play. Are they "happy campers" with the work ? It seems that they are. How often do the pros come? Maybe the architects real test is when and if the pros come.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 09:45:36 AM »
I agree with Steve

does Scioto even have pro events?  

199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 09:59:16 AM »
Lots of words about aesthetics; little about substance, other than a little lengthening and maintianing the integrity of the design.

Scioto hosts PGA Section events from time to time, and as the article mentions, the occasional PGA or USGA championship. I'm not aware of anything scheduled for Scioto, but I am certain they are interested.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 11:03:08 AM »
I don't want to put words in his mouth, but he can't be talking about the section pros can he? Some are good players, but some would need shots from the players in the Ohio Juniors. I am wondering if that is a little foreshadowing, but I can't think of anything 'pro' that could come to Scioto. I really don't get that comment at all. There is nothing scheduled there for as far as the eye can see, what could this mean?

redanman

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 12:35:16 PM »
The article includes:

"It has hosted the U.S. Open, Ryder Cup, U.S. Amateur tournament and Senior Open. It’s also gearing up for the Ohio Junior Championships in June."

No mention of the pros.... :-\

Actually, I found the article a little hard to follow.
e.g.
"Some of the changes to the course have been controversial, Yoder admits. For instance, a hole on the back tee reaches 300 yards. The average golfer can’t hit that far, he says." doesn't make sense.

Anyway, it's interesting that there is an apparent emphasis is on "modernization"over "restoration" regarding changes as presented. Resistance to scoring vs. restoration of design intent?  They are not necessarily mutually inclusive, but can be.  It is up to the club to determine which is more important to them.  Scioto is of course historically important in that JWN grew up there.  Curiously, he was not consulted.

Scioto is an interesting design that I was impressed with.  It had apparently gone through some relatively significant changes under Wilson's hand.  I'll be curious to see the end product of the current work.  Just off-handedly I want to add that I think that Scioto is one of the most pastoral settings in American Golf.

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 12:45:28 PM »
The "continually updated" part is concerning. I hope he doesn't think that about every course. I think most courses can be improved, but continually updated isn't  a good mindset IMO.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 01:22:27 PM »
Bill,

It is certainly a setting that is hard to mirror. I think you need to read the article again, it says that the real test will come when the pros play it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back