News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Grant Saunders

Hiding the flag
« on: March 16, 2012, 01:01:06 AM »
One of my favourite features is the use of a form to hide the base of the flag and some of the putting surface for the player who has positioned themselves poorly.

For me, not being able to see the bottom of the flag is far more unsettling than hitting over a bunker but seeing all of the pin and green. I tend to think that most good players would feel much the same about this.

For the high handicapper, it offers no great challenge as they are primarily focused with getting it near the green and dont posses the same distance control.

Obviously it isnt a feature that could be used with the same frequency as a bunker but 2-3 times per round may be acceptable.

I really like when the form is situated short of the green creating dead ground and distorting depth perception.

Here are a couple of photos of ones I like:

1st hole Arrowtown

17th hole Harewood

18th hole Oreti sands

Where are some other good examples? I havent played it but I have heard people talk about the 4th hole on The Old Course having this feature. Photos please if you have thenm.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:13:56 AM by Grant Saunders »

Anthony Gray

Re: Hiding the flag
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 05:16:33 AM »

A thoughtful topic Grant. 14at TOC first comes to mind. It places a little doubt in the mind. 2 at Bandon Trails is an uncomfortable tee shot for me for a similar reason.

Anthony

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 05:35:16 AM »

10th at Yale

and knowing that three paces behind the green is an upward ridge that can really screw with a slightly long approach is not helping. Probably the longest 396 yards in golf.

Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 06:09:03 AM »
Nice topic Grant. Below are some examples I've come across.

Subtle: The 11th at Tenby

Much more pronounced: The 11th at Palmetto Hall

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 07:21:49 AM »

I would like to see this more ofton. It does put distance doubt in the mind of the golfer. Is 10 at Yale a knoll hole Mike?

Anthony

Grant Saunders

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 03:53:01 PM »
Love the one at Palmetto Hall, thanks for the pic Eric.

Anthony, you said 2 at Bandon Trails has one. Is it a feature used on modern designs often? 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 04:04:37 PM »
Love the one at Palmetto Hall, thanks for the pic Eric.

Anthony, you said 2 at Bandon Trails has one. Is it a feature used on modern designs often? 

You just don't see partially blind shots much. I think its a neat twist.

Anthony

Grant Saunders

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 04:12:35 PM »
I agree Anthony. Blind or semi blind shots are cool if there is little risk in losing your ball or putting yourself in a situation of being unable to finish the hole. I think this works better on approach shots. Blind shots with a long club or driver in hand you can easily get into trouble.

9th at Castle Stuart is guarded front right by a mound which comes into play if you are down the right hand side off the tee.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 04:17:44 PM »
The current 15th at Roanoke Country Club (Dogwood #6) is a wonderful old hole that presents a very limited view of the flagstick on the approach.  If a player is too aggressive from the tee it can be totally blind.

The club uses an extended flagstick that is probably twelve feet tall, which is viewable from just about anywhere on the hole.

I find that the long flagstick robs the hole of its greatest feature.  A savvy player studies the pin location while on the thirteenth teebox (which is immediately adjacent to the fifteenth green) and should be rewarded two holes later with important information.

Anthony's right: An obscured flagstick does promote doubt and often leads to a poorly struck shot.

I'm going to try to dig up some photos of the fifth at Ballyhack.  It uses a hidden flag brilliantly.

WW

Grant Saunders

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 09:54:47 PM »
Wade

Agreed regarding the long flagstick having a negative impact on this feature. If the player has hit it into the correct position to give themselves a clear view, the long flagstick I think makes their shot now slightly harder. By not having the standard length stick, it makes this players view slightly distorted and depth perception harder.

Imagine playing a course with 18 different length flagsticks.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 10:03:01 PM »

14 @ Pebble

17 @ Rutland
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:16:52 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Mike Hogan

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 08:17:22 AM »
Here are some that are hiding.
Dimal River

Old Mac #7

Old Mac #16

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back