News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Boutique Courses
« on: May 07, 2006, 01:29:10 PM »
I had someone describe Bel Air as a boutique type course.  I was puzzled at first but I came to understand him after thinking about it for a while.  Boutique in his eye or opinion is a short, beutifully bunkered, charmed filled course that time has forgotten.  

What do you think would fill this description.  I can think of a few:

Shoreacres
Bel Air
Swinley
Myopia
Maidstone

Glenn Spencer

Re:Boutique Courses
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 04:52:53 PM »
Moraine

Worcester

Plum Hollow

Cherry Hills?

Wakonda

Columbus

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 08:00:11 PM »
Tobacco Road

Tot Hill Farm

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 10:07:40 PM »
How about LuLu?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve Lapper

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 10:19:47 PM »
Add to this list (I've always called them "sporty"):

Somerset Hills
Fenway
Yeamans Hall
Indian Creek
Hollywood
The Meadow Club
The Valley Club
Ewaknok

Many others might apply as well. ??
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 12:39:35 AM »
I like a lot of these choices-   would add:
                 Interlachen
                 Canterbury
                 St. Louis          and maybe:

Scioto
                  Minikahda
                  Columbia
                  Glen View

Sam Sikes

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 12:50:46 AM »
Definitely add:

The Creek
Mountain Lake
Lookout Mountain

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 07:39:10 AM »
West Sussex...the mix of the bunkering and the heather is a delight and I could add Sunningdale to that list.

Ohh yes - and of course my favourite = North Berwick....

John Shimp

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 08:28:02 AM »
Roaring Gap
Palmetto

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 08:41:59 AM »
West Sussex...the mix of the bunkering and the heather is a delight and I could add Sunningdale to that list.

Ohh yes - and of course my favourite = North Berwick....

Jings, Creevens and Help Ma Boab!

North Berwick - "Boutique"!?! The only 'boutique' in North Berwick is Miss Prim's lacy underwear shop on the High Street.

Why, I nearly choked oan mah deep-fried Haggis sandwich. We're talkin' aboot Ben Sayers and David Huish, nae Ben GAYers and David 'Hush-Puppies', laddie!

NB is a proper, manly man of a golf course with none of the flowery affectations of gay dandy-ism whatsoever, thank you very much!

Yours,
comfortable in his manliness ;),
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 09:09:38 AM »
Wayne,

I have to question Canterbury and Interlachen. I would like to hear why you feel these two. I am upset to see these two on here and I have a feeling your answer will probably be correct, but I would like to see it anyway.

If this list doesn't make you sick to your stomach about distance, well you just aren't thinking properly.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 09:13:54 AM by Glenn Spencer »

Steve Curry

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 09:42:33 AM »
As opposed to super-mall?  :P
Maybe either antique shop or general store are more appropriate?  You know the place, the bell rings off the door when you walk in and some Samuel Clemens look alike greets you.  I recently stopped in the general store in the center of Marion, Ma just such a store, neat place!

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 09:54:50 AM »
My choices Eckstein? I am far from convinced that you actually care, based on last Friday, but here goes.

Worcester- The golf course hosted a US Open  and the inaugural Ryder Cup match. Distance has made it obsolete as far as hosting these tournaments, but I bet it could if things weren't the way they were, golf course-wise anyway, I don't know about logistics.

Moraine and Plum Hollow- very similar, in that they hosted PGA's years ago and could not even host a US Amateur at this point in time. Moraine was beaten up by Ben Curtis at the 99 Ohio Amateur.

Cherry Hills- once an oft-used US Open site is now hosting Morgan Pressel in the Womens version- enough said

Wakonda- just a lot of good old golf out there that maybe doesn't belong here, but it kind of does, because I think 18 might be driven a few times and there is not enough to truly punish the attempt.
Columbus- pretty hammered at Ohio Amateur
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 11:02:01 AM by Glenn Spencer »

PThomas

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 10:07:50 AM »
"Mr." Eckstein:  do you ever contribute anything positive to these discussions or just sit back and criticize?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 10:07:58 AM »
Guys I am not sure but that does not include 90% of the classic courses in Amercia.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 10:17:15 AM »
Eckstein- yes, my choices do have everything to do with architectural merits. Not many of the meant-to-be hazards are in play. The greens were not made for wedges to be hit into them, they were supposed to be challenged by a 6-iron.

PThomas

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 10:23:12 AM »
Paul T
I was just curious. The other's boutique courses are sporty courses recognized for their architecture. Glenn's list didn't seem to match up and I wondered what his criteria was. It turns out he was picking courses that had hosted a big tournament some time past. Do you have problem with that??

recalling your criticism of the Wie thread from last week, I believe, and then your curt question today, it just seems you are quite negative/critical in your few posts

perhaps you could offer up what you think might be some boutique courses instead?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

michael_j_fay

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 10:24:16 AM »
White Bear Yacht Club

Fishers Island

Country Club of Fairfield

Whitinsville Golf Club

Newport Country Club

All on architectural merit and that special feeling.

P.S. Worcester only hosted one Open in 1925, but it is a special place.

tlavin

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 10:28:54 AM »
Cherry Hills?  Cherry Hills?  I know this is a semantic argument, but there ain't nothing boutique about Cherry Hills.  

John Shimp

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 10:33:37 AM »
To me the charm and time forgot pieces are important in distinguishing the types of courses Steve Roth lists and some of the others that could include nearly all classic courses.

Steve's list nails it pretty well to me, but I don't think any Mike Strantz courses qualify on the time forgot dimension or on charm. Although his courses are clearly unique.  Some of the others may not qualify to me either as they are still strong USGA tournament level courses (e.g. Chicago, Inverness, Cherry Hills).

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 11:00:01 AM »
Cherry hasn't hosted a Mens tourney since 90, unless you count the Seniors. That to me, sounds an awful lot like boutique. With elevation factored in at about 10%, the course only measures in the mid 6000 range. I don't see any men's tournaments heading back there any time soon.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2006, 12:24:41 AM »
Glenn-  sounds like you had a bit of a bad weekend.  Hope all is well now.  At any rate, maybe our definitions of boutique aren't exactly the same, but I look at that type of course as a very upscale intimate course, oftentimes with a storied history that is too short to host a major like the U.S. Open or the PGA.  Those "big courses" like Pinehurst #2, Winged Foot, Bethpage and the like are the antithesis. I certainly think BelAir fits the bill and it was very fitting for the Senior Amateur. I also thought that Interlachen was perfect for that description.  It would be a wonderful layout for a Women's Open.  I got the same feeling at Canterbury last year although the finishing holes there may take it out of the boutique category.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2006, 11:22:10 PM »
Wayne,

Weekend was fine. Eckstein was all over about 3-4 of us last week. Canterbury par 70? US Open? I don't see why not. Just par 4 No.4 and 13 and you have got yourself a fabulous test. Interlachen just looked like it had plenty of teeth to me at Solheim is all, Canterbury just seems way too hard to be in this category, to me anyway.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 01:33:23 AM »
Definitely:
Myopia Hunt Club
Columbia in DC
Cape Arundel
Hyannis Port Club  (Cape Cod's Maidstone)
Pinehurst #1
Sankaty Head
Metacomet

Maybe:
Pasatiempo
Chevy Chase

Every hole not in the Open 18 at The Country Club
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 01:51:59 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back