News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Brian_Sleeman

Re:The Mines Golf Club-Grand Rapids, MI
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2006, 10:52:22 AM »
Don't forget it's still pretty early in Mike's solo career - he's only done three full courses (Kingsley, Greywalls, and The Mines) plus restoration work and a few partial projects (ie the greens and bunkers at Pilgrim's Run).  How many did Doak do before Pacific Dunes really put him on the map?

The only two DeVries courses I've played (Kingsley and Greywalls) are certainly in the top tier of courses I've seen (I put them with CPC and Crystal Downs - ahead of Olympic, Pasatiempo, Pine Needles among others), and I think it's just a matter of time for them to be fully discovered and appreciated on a wider scale.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2006, 11:11:28 AM »
Peter,

Were you there in the afternoon? Did you get passed by a couple non-golfers riding a cart? ;D

Thanks for the remarks. We always like to hear praise, but we learn from all comments.

Mike is a low ball, right to left player. The wind is his friend. I don't have a predictable ball flight. I don't usually hit anything hard right or hard left.

James Edwards,

The green settings on #9 and #11 were not terrific green settings, compared to many on this site. The 9th green is wonderful in its complexity, and the way it presents itself from the lower elevation approach shot makes it difficult to go pin hunting. I find it easy to come up short on that shot, even know what the hill is like behind the green...major safety valve if you're feeling aggressive. The 11th green is not really where Mike wanted it, but due to owner concessions, it is what it is...and what it is is a very tough green to find from the west tee orientation from 223 yards. Mike wanted to clear all the trees off the land formation and move the green uphill to reduce some slope issues and be able to better utilize what was already there. The owner had finally had enough tree removal, or was tired, or just wanted to move forward at this point, so we did what we could. It's funny, but I distictly remember being on that green with Mike and Dan (the owner) in late evening. We were pushing dirt, drinking beer and begging to knock down the trees. Even beer wouldn't soften Big Dan.

I took a very good friend of mine out there yesterday whom I have served with for years on the Super's Association board. We talk daily, yet this was his first time seeing the place. He said" Holy ****, this is so different and good, why am I not hearing anything about this place?" Even after all my descriptions,he had no idea....and I think that is a great way to sum up where the Mines is on the local, and national radar. Obviously, we'd love to have more people "in the know" come and see it, but folks are busy these days....

Thanks again for the comments of all varieties,

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Peter Pratt

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2006, 01:13:16 PM »
Joe,

We teed off at 1:30. When we were on #14 tee I did see two gentlemen talking on and near the 16th green.

I didn't know you were there often, or I'd've asked to meet you!

Peter

James Edwards

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2006, 07:39:52 AM »
Joe,

Congratulations on the project - I remember seeing pictures on here many moons ago and it has made huge progression IMHO!

Thank you for your thoughtful comments, and Im pleased you have taken my questions the right way.  I agree, they are not the best green settings in comparison to many others on the course (disclaimer:  I have NOT been there  8) before anyone starts getting angry)  and im pleased you have described the 11th as a 223yard? hole because the entrance to the green looked a little wide  ;) but now that explains the width.

Nice feel to the course though, the setting, the surrounding vegetation etc etc - would be great to get out there so I can appreciate the changes in person.
@EDI__ADI

Joe Hancock

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2006, 09:03:10 AM »
James,

The approach to #11 is wide from the south tees at 165 yards. The approach is narrow and falls sharply to the right from the west tees at 223 yards!

Thanks for the feedback and I hope you get out to see it some day.

Joe

EDIT: Peter, those were NOT gentlemen!!! It was me and the super from Kalamazoo CC!!!!... ;D It wasn't me you smelled on that green either, it was anaerobic soil in the approach!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 09:05:22 AM by Joe Hancock »
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Adam Clayman

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2006, 02:05:13 PM »
Bump in GD's honor
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2006, 10:52:25 PM »
My thanks to those who mentioned the Mines on the other thread and a congratulations to all those who are listed, particularly the Renaissance team for scoring 3 courses on the Private list - very impressive.  :o

It is interesting to note that the Mines is the only par 70 and shortest course listed (6701 yards with the longer, and better in the overall course setup, tee on #11), except for Gil's (congrats also to my old friend for more fine work!) work at the CC of Rochester, which is quite an old course (I haven't been there, but I am assuming that the property is land-locked and not much length is to be gained, which is fine).  

I don't think the Mines is a pushover by any means, especially with the 5 long par 4's from the back tees (4 into the prevailing wind), but is length still the big draw, even at public golf courses, over fun, imaginative golf?  Does Average Joe Golfer still want a par 72, 7000 yard, "championship" course?

Best,

Mike

PThomas

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2006, 11:00:24 PM »
but is length still the big draw, even at public golf courses, over fun, imaginative golf?  Does Average Joe Golfer still want a par 72, 7000 yard, "championship" course?

Best,

Mike

God I hope not Mike!  esp since most of them don't break 100....

maybe its a religious thing, like they feel they need to be punished by playing long courses

and congrats!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2006, 11:09:19 PM »
maybe its a religious thing, like they feel they need to be punished by playing long courses

and congrats!

Whip me, beat me, teach me to overswing!!!!  And Thanks!

Jim Thompson

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2006, 11:25:22 PM »
Paul,

I can assure you that the Mines is all you want.  I was humbled and would have been even without all the stuff I had on my mind the day I played.  A very good test!  If you enjoy that style, you could easily be a member there.

JT
Jim Thompson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back