News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

E. Jean-Marc Monrad

Can Any course hold a Major
« on: May 09, 2006, 01:55:04 PM »
My uncle played a round with one of the head guys (i don't know which one) in the USGA who told him that almost any course can be made hard enough to hold the US Open.  If this is true, then why the need to continually lengthen courses?  If they tighten fairways so that pros feel the need to hit 3 wood instead, it brings bunkers back into play.  Country clubs could do this as well instead of lengthening no?

Or does it destroy a course more often then not to tighten fairways and lengthen rough.  If this is true, then are pros not playing a great course anymore when they tighten the fairways at Shinnecock or other "short" courses.

Or maybe this is why they try and choose long courses, so they don't have to destroy the course the architect intended by tightening the fairways.

Thoughts?

Garland Bayley

Re:Can Any course hold a Major
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 05:35:50 PM »
Tighten the fairways and grow enough rough and any course could be hard enough. What he neglected to tell you is that they also change the par which would make many courses par 68 or less. I don't think you will see them contesting the open on anything with par 68. Guess that answers why they still need to lengthen them.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Yannick Pilon

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 08:35:10 PM »
Yes.

As far as I am concerned, you could play a major on any course.  No need to grow the rough, thighten the fairways, roll the green or any of that stuff.

Whether the par is 72 or 68 is totally irrelevent.  The winner is the one who beats the rest of the field, right?  Doesn't matter to me if the winner is 28 under, or 2 over.  Just put the big boys on the same playing field, and let themselves beat each other to the finish.  Aren't they palying against each other, or are they playing against the course?

Now, would I prefer to see them play a major at Shinnecock, or at my local muni?  Hmmm.  Guess I would pick Shinnecock, although the thought of seing them play in the same conditions I usually play in is quite appealing....

Just my two cents....
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 08:55:21 PM »
So Yannick, I guess Bethpage Black is not your local muni?  ;D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 08:55:37 PM by Philip Young »

Yannick Pilon

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 08:56:43 PM »
Unfortunately, no it isn't!  :'(
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 07:44:15 AM »
Certainly not. Even if they had the length would they have the facilities to support it ? Accomodation, access etc.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back