News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

Re:Old Head and the Confidential Guide
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2006, 08:18:18 AM »
It's a much better course when you go off the first tee with an open bottle of wine in your hand.

Andy Doyle

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2006, 10:27:56 AM »
Jason - your picture and analysis makes a great example. Thanks.

Doug - I can imagine with the height of those cliffs the wind could do some pretty wild things.  Would be cool to see.

Will be interesting to see future course development in the area.  From a golf trip planning perspective, Old Head is literally an outlier.  When you go to the southwest, the courses from Lahinch to Waterville aren't too far apart, but if I recall the drive correctly (while beautiful) it's a bit of a hike over to Old Head.

Andy

George Pazin

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2006, 10:53:49 AM »
If I ever played that course with an open bottle of wine, you guys would never hear from me again.

Hope that doesn't inspire anyone to start a collection....

The land movement from the photos doesn't look bad. If there is one thing I still don't understand with respect to gca, it's site potential evaluation. I always wonder if most of the evaluation doesn't occur after the fact - i.e. if it's a great course, the site was great, if it isn't, the site wasn't.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Dunne

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2006, 11:07:11 AM »
Andy: I did the drive from Waterville to Lahinch three weeks ago--it took a little over four hours, and that was with catching the ferry across the Shannon on the minute. You do pass through Listowel (near Ballybunion) on the way, though. Other than Dooks, I'd say it would be hard (not impossible, just tiring) to combine Waterville with a second course in the same day. Just my opinion.

Andy Doyle

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2006, 11:56:00 AM »
Tom:

I wish I had made that drive that recently!  Family and a new position at work have kept me in trip planning (wishing) mode.

I agree completely - the stretch from Lahinch to Waterville is very reasonable and would keep one plenty busy:

Lahinch - Old & Castle
Doonbeg
Ballybunion - Old & Cashen
Tralee
Ceann Sibeal
Dooks
Waterville

And that's not counting the parkland courses - Adare Manor, Dromoland, etc.

My thought was that it's a pretty good hike over to Old Head from the rest of these SW courses.  Because of the drive and time involved, ideally one would stay and play Old Head a couple of times - if the course/experience warranted such an outlay.

En route from Waterville to Old Head:

Andy

Jack_Marr

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2006, 03:19:00 PM »
Here are some pictures of what Ernie Els and European Golf Design are developing at Hangman's Point in Kinsale...

John Marr(inan)

Andy Doyle

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2006, 03:54:04 PM »
Jack:

It that Kinsale in the background of the first picture?  So this property is east of Old Head?

Andy

Jack_Marr

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2006, 04:38:25 PM »
Hi Andy

I think that is Kinsale alright. I remember seeing another similar peninsula when I was at Old Head, and it was to the east. This was before I knew it was going to be developed, but I think it's the place.

It's going to be a €200 million development. It was a race track many moons ago, and some say it was the site for one of Ireland's oldest golf courses. I got these bits from the advertising blurb.
John Marr(inan)

Andy Doyle

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2006, 04:46:06 PM »
Jack:

Thanks.  

Approaching Old Head pennisula from the west - apparently another pennisula/property off to the right (west):

Andy

Bill Gayne

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2006, 07:39:18 PM »
For those of you who haven't been to Ireland, Andy's picture is a two lane road going in both directions on the Ring of Kerry. The road is travelled by cars and large tour buses. As you can see there is no bail out area and this is typical.

On the comments on Old Head, I would concur with Matt Ward. I'm glad I went once.

Andy Doyle

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2006, 09:34:35 PM »
Not to discourage anyone from driving in this fine country, but here is my favorite picture from driving the Ring of Kerry:

A small example of how tough the roads are on vehicles, if not their drivers.

Andy

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2006, 12:09:43 AM »
For those of you who haven't been to Ireland, Andy's picture is a two lane road going in both directions on the Ring of Kerry. The road is travelled by cars and large tour buses. As you can see there is no bail out area and this is typical.

On the comments on Old Head, I would concur with Matt Ward. I'm glad I went once.

This quote and Brad Klein's "Bring an open bottle of wine" absolutely made me spit coffee into the keyboard!

:D

I've been to Ireland 3 times and NEVER heard the term "bail out area" for the roads - yet its TRUE!

And, I go to Old Head for the first time next month.

Brad - Red or White, or does it matter?  :P

Jack_Marr

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2006, 02:41:10 AM »
For Old Head, a Chateau Margaux. For places like Ballybunion, Lahinch and Carne, potín from a milk bottle.
John Marr(inan)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back