News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Renli

Crown Colony
« on: April 29, 2006, 04:12:21 PM »
I will be in Dallas on business next week and have a day, always heard a lot about this course but never played it.  Is it worth the drive?

mike_beene

Re:Crown Colony
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 05:52:35 PM »
I have never played it,but I believe it is 4 hours away.If you have a desire for the piney woods,Pine Dunes is a lot closer.Going east of Dallas into the trees increases chances of thunderstorms this time of year.

Daryn_Soldan

Re:Crown Colony
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 06:25:42 PM »
If you can spare an entire day and don't mind spending 6-8 hours of it in the car then I think Crown Colony may be worth the trip.  Of course there are a multitude of choices in/near Dallas that don't require that much drive time.

CC one tough golf course with a wide array of features.  I particularly enjoyed the variety in the size, shape and orientation to the line of play of the greens.  Some are long and narrow, others very shallow and wide, while others (18 for example) employ both strategies within the same green.  The orientation of several greens in relation to water hazards or deep bunkers makes identifying the correct line of play as well as good distance control a must.  The greens present plenty of challenge in their own right once reached.  Several are best played from anywhere other than above the hole.  But of course, above the hole is where the nice safe shot away from trouble tends to end up  :)

I thought the characteristic that made the course most challenging was the fact that to avoid the often severe greenside trouble, teeshot placement had to be very precise and usually to one side of the fairway or another depending on hole location.  The hard part is that there just isn't that much fairway out there.  I found out very early in the practice round for the tournament I played at CC that there's a reason they call it the piney WOODS.  The one thing that would be nice is if there were fewer houses off in those woods to allow for more recovery on those wayward shots.

All in all I thought it was a very solid, challenging golf course that presents some good examples of what can be done when carving a course out of dense forest.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back