News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Last minute, Wild Horse spring fling...
« on: April 25, 2006, 11:41:18 PM »
Oh sure, gas is a bit expensive.  But, I got a buddy to ride along and share the cost.  So, Wild Horse, this Sat-Sun-Mon? or maybe Bayside somewhere squeezed in there.  Our man Adam Clayman is now happily domiciled in Ogallala, so we got GCA family out there now to pester. ;D

There is a one-man scramble at WH on Sat and still a few slots left, if anyone wants to get in on it.  You will have to confirm that with WH pro now, however if you do want in on it.  Otherwise, tee times still available for Sun or Mon.

I figure, go now while gas is under $3.  When we hits $4, I don't think I can ride a bicycle that far... :'(
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Evan Fleisher

Re:Last minute, Wild Horse spring fling...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 08:40:36 AM »
What is Adam doing out there?!?!?
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

redanman

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 08:42:31 AM »
Adam has apparently gone full-scale bonkers and moved outto the ass-end-of-nowhere.  ???  ;)

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 10:09:47 AM »
Yes it's true, I have gone off the deep end and once again have fallen directly in it... However, as is many times in Life and in Golf, the counter-intuitive catch to this saga is ... THE PEOPLE !

Sure, there's the great drainage, which allows for the world class golf being built, but the real kicker is how nice the people are.  Now i'm not talking that fakey hollywood nice, i'm talking real nice.

Plus, I wouldn't want my experiences, from when I was in close proximity to major metro areas, to bias my evaluation of  GCA.

I don't see how Pat Mucci does it.

:-*

p.s. It's also an Ethonol play   ;D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 10:11:38 AM by Adam Clayman »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 01:26:56 PM »
Oh sure, gas is a bit expensive.  I figure, go now while gas is under $3.  When we hits $4, I don't think I can ride a bicycle that far... :'(

Dearest Uncle...

$4? $4!?

Four Dollars?

Try FOUR FRICKIN' POUNDS!!! Yes, we are about to hit £1 a Litre on this godforsaken island. Shee-oot, we only have an entire OCEAN of it to the North!!!

I need to get me a Segway...

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 01:52:51 PM »
Dick, what the hell is a "one man scramble?"

Sounds like some sort of breakfast dish!  ::)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 02:02:05 PM »
Bill - it's a very fun format where you play two (or more) balls on each shot and take the best one...

I highly recommend it for the ego, as one can produce a very good score doing this.

;D

Want the ultimate golf challenge though?  Do it in reverse... play two balls on each shot and force yourself to take the worse each time... bottom line in the end is that you have to make every putt twice... If you can break 90 doing this you are really playing golf.

Now back to Wild Horse plans...

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 03:39:02 PM »
Hey Wild Bill, the way they do it... you hit a shot.  If you don't like it you hit like a mulligan.  But, then you must take that second shot.  You can't pick the best from the two.  If you love your first shot, or even think it is so-so OK, you take it, usually.  It is a painfully slow round.  It really works out on putting, testing the line and speed and so forth.  

But while slow, it keeps the beer cart running, and is a very sociable way to learn the course and meet the folks at the club. One man scramble is fun, in small doses. ;) ;D

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 03:39:51 PM »
Bill - it's a very fun format where you play two (or more) balls on each shot and take the best one...

In the one-man scramble(s?) I've played, one was forced to choose the second attempt if one chose to make a second attempt.

And one got the chance to hit a second putt *once* on each green.

Fun format.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 03:41:08 PM »
Aha!  Gotcha guys.  That is a better way to do it - way more thought involved.  Of course it's not gonna get you the ego-building score as easily though.

;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 04:10:22 PM »
Just what I need, a deflating match vs myself!

One thing I REALLY enjoy is a two man scramble for the third nine of the day.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 04:12:50 PM »

One thing I REALLY enjoy is a two man scramble for the third nine of the day.

You and me both, brother.  Seems most of my greatest golf memories involve matches like this... two man scramble, chapman, scotch, alternate shot, hell the weirder the better.

;D

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 11:09:49 AM »
Just incase any of the Nebraska crowd like Paul, Mike, Jason or Tony were planning on showing up at WH to join us, we cancelled because the weather pattern looked to iffy to chance a 1900 mileRT drive for a crappy day.  We'll have to wait until things look more predictable.   :-\ :-[

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 11:15:22 AM »
I was wondering why I hadn't gotten a call this morning that you were driving by my front door!

Sorry to hear about that Dick, but 'dems 'da breaks!  We are having a garge sale here tomorrow and the weather outlook appears crappy as well...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 11:47:48 AM »
I'll still be there with my new friend Alan, if any two would still like to join us. We are teeing off on the fifth at ten. Call the course to let them know. 308-537-7700

Doug Wright

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 03:51:32 PM »
Dick,

You may recall that in my one and only visit to Wild Horse (with that hack Brad Swanson in tow... ;D ) we played in a one man scramble tourney.** It was a ton of fun and a great way to get to know your fine course.

Sorry no can do this weekend but hope to make it over there later this year.

** I think Brad shot 63 or something to place 1st or 2d.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 03:52:51 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Jason Hines

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 07:01:56 PM »
It looks like its going to rain all weekend Dick.  Let us know when you reschedule.

J.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2006, 02:48:49 PM »
Dick,

You may recall that in my one and only visit to Wild Horse (with that hack Brad Swanson in tow... ;D ) we played in a one man scramble tourney.** It was a ton of fun and a great way to get to know your fine course.

Sorry no can do this weekend but hope to make it over there later this year.

** I think Brad shot 63 or something to place 1st or 2d.

For the record, I missed an 8 footer for birdie 2X on #5 (last hole of a shotgun start) to shoot 61 (-11) and lose by one.  :'(  Didn't matter, I felt like a big winner after my initial tour of Wild Horse.  That was maybe my favorite golf weekend of all time, right up there with another trip, courtesy of the same gracious host.  Great golf, great people.

Cheers,
Brad

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2006, 09:00:53 PM »
Well, the reults are in, everyone had a great time.
The weather was not bad. A steady three club wind gusting to four and sometimes five.
The format allowed for the choice of shots.
The course was as firm as it was designed for. Any shot hit onto the green never had a chance to stay on. It was a day filled with half 8 and 7 irons, from 121 yards down wind, and full 6 and 7 irons from 121 yards into it. I brought out the old 1-A ping, and drained more monsters than I can ever recall draining in one round.

Because of the posibility for rain, Don had everyone finish the frontnine, come in for lunch, and then we shotgunned the backnine. We were rained on, but only the last hole. We finished on the par 3 13th playing at approx 200 yards, I hit 6 iron but the Colorado guys we were matched with hit 8's. My friend Alan, who only has played Bayside for Nebraska Links golf (even though his GParents are from Mullen) commented that he never had to think so much about a shot before. was testimony enough for the Proctor Axland layout.

There was some winter kill on some high spots on some of the greens, but really was not a factor. I was assured it would remedy in no time. Don plans for a little later date next year, perhaps the first weekend in May, in an attempt to get more guys who might be out planting corn this early.

The burning this year was done primarily to the circumferance of the course, it was rather amazing how many golf balls were half singed just sitting there in what was likely some serious WOOGA.

Jason Hines

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2006, 09:54:47 PM »
Adam, have they burned any of the wooga off yet?  How much rain have you and WH had in the last couple of days?  Which way was the wind blowing and how did you play 15?

J.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 09:56:22 PM by Jason_Hines »

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2006, 10:35:53 PM »
Jason- The wooga was burned around the periphrea of the course. There were some random spots that showed small sections had been burned, but when I asked which side Josh had burned, I was told it was just the outside edges of the course.  
The wind was out of the north. #15 was directly into it. I bunted a drive to be 140ish, on the right. I then hit a low screamin four iron to the front right. If i'm not mistaken it was the only shot that flew onto the green and stayed on the green. I played really well, for me, hitting my new to me, Mizunos' mp33's.
As for the precip here, we received about and inch and a half last week and just a wee bit here today.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2006, 11:02:48 PM »
It sounds like one man's crappy day is another man's gloriously fresh and invigorating day. ;D  Adam gave me a full report on the phone.  

Of course I get it, but when I tell my friend he missed a 3-4 club wind day, I'm going to get a very odd look.  He was complaining here at home because the wind gusted to about 15mph today... ::)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back