News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

nandoal

Northern Michigan Golf Trip..Suggestions?
« on: April 23, 2006, 12:36:52 PM »
A friend and I are thinking about a couple day golf trip to Northern Michigan, and I was looking for a few suggestions.  I am good friends with the pro at the Kingsley Club from our days at Bel-Air.  I'd like to play 36 two days in a row.  So Kingsley and something near there.  And two theres in NM that are also near each other.  Any thoughts?

Andrew Cunningham

Re:Northern Michigan Golf Trip..Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 01:14:58 PM »
Arcadia would be an obvious choice.  Farther east is Forest Dunes.  Farther east of that is Lakewood Shores, which has a great 36 hole facility including the award-winning Gailes and Blackshire courses.

DTaylor18

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 01:21:29 PM »
If you can swing Crystal Downs, that would be the choice.  When I played Kingsley, i did the drive over to Crystal.  It was about an hour.  Truly one of my favorite courses I have ever played, and I include Kingsley in that category as well.  On the public side, many people like Arcadia, but I would recommend another day at Kingsley instead!

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 01:37:42 PM »
    All good choices.  However, if you can do without seeing a great sunset on Lake Michigan at CDCC or Arcadia, then make the trip to Forest Dunes, just NW of Roscommon.  Forest Dunes has some great greens and the variety of the course is refreshing.  It may be hard for some to relate to a course that many have called a cross between Pine Valley and Augusta, but its true.

I believe its the 5th which is a great par 5.  The greens are great, and there are some good classic features to the course.  Number 6 is a good "reef" hole, the 19th as a bunker in the middle of the green, ala Riviera. Great Conditions!

If I were to rank a top five, I would try to play these,

1. Crystal Downs (Mackenzie) Frankfort
2. Kingsley Club (DeVries) Kingsley
3. Forest Dunes (Weiskopf) Roscommon
4. Arcadia Bluffs (Henderson, Smith) Arcadia
5. High Pointe (Doak) Traverse City
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 01:44:31 PM »
Jonathon's list would be ideal without the Forest Dunes, not because it isn't worth seeing, but because you want to do 36 each day for only two days. The other 4 on the list are all pretty close and as good as anything you'll play in No. Michigan.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jfaspen

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 01:58:55 PM »
I really enjoyed my trip to Lakewood Shores last year.  I don't think it fits into your plan to base the trip around Kingsley, but both courses are both excellent designs and big departures from what you normally see in Northern Michigan.

Excited to play Forest Dunes and Wilderness Valley (Black Forest) next month as park of a trip to the Otsego Club.

Jeff

Joe Hancock

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 02:04:37 PM »
Is Mr. Plassman putting you up in one of the cabins? I'd be tempted to play an entire day at Kingsley if that is the case, then my next day would be at CD and Arcadia.

Joe

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 02:22:55 PM »
Depending on your GCA interests (modern or classic), it is about an hour up to Belvedere from Kingsley.
Check "Golf Course Architecture in America" for three of the holes.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 02:23:17 PM by Ralph_Livingston »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

ed_getka

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 03:07:18 PM »
If you are driving up from Chicago on your way to Kingsley then Lost Dunes would be a good stop on the way. Otherwise go with the guys above. Even if you can't go out at CD, I would drive up to the pro shop and enjoy the view out over the front nine. Its a pretty awesome vista. 8)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back