News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Bull gets loose on course at Bulls bay!
« on: March 25, 2007, 11:34:49 PM »
How's this for a tough hazard on a golf course!

The Hootie tournament turned hysterical today.  The event took a madcap turn when tournament mascot “Titleist” the bull got loose from his tether near the sixteenth green and roamed around the golf course for twenty minutes.

“Apparently he got stung by a wasp right on the nose” said spectator Mike Adams.  “He was fine and then all of a sudden he was rubbing his nose on the ground and on the tree where he’s tied and rolling around snorting.  He is normally totally mild-mannered and tame, but he just got agitated when he got stung.”  Scoring official Bobby Wilson saw the whole thing unfold.  “One minute Titleist was fine and the next he was haulin’ ass down the fairway dragging his tethering chain behind him.”

Chase Duncan, a sophomore finance major from N.C. State met Titleist up close and personal.  “I was lining up a nine inch putt for par on 17 and my playing partner, Mark Silvers from South Carolina said ‘Holy s—!’  I looked up and it’s running over the hill, about a hundred yards away from us and closing fast.  So we start walking slowly in the opposite direction, but the bull made eye contact with me.  I just saw the movie ‘Jackass Number 2’ where Johnny Knoxville gets knocked into next week by a bull and here I am with no rodeo clown or gate to jump over.  All I remember next was thinking about those massive horns, so I bolted” he explains in between laughs.  “Thankfully the bull slowed down and turned away into the woods.  Now I still have a nine inch putt and I’m still petrified.  I never shook over a nine inch putt like that in my life” he finishes with a grin.

Silvers was equally incredulous over the ridiculousness of the situation.  “My girlfriend is here with me.  While Chase was putting, I saw the bull running loose and pointed it out to her, laughing.  Then I putted and made my putt” he continued.  “When I took my ball out of the hole, I looked up and suddenly he’s coming right at us and here I am in a red shirt!  I’m a prime target.  We ran.  It kept getting closer and closer, it’s a freakin’ bull and it’s huge!” he said, grabbing his sides laughing as he later explained the situation in the clubhouse.  “At least I made my birdie.”  The sophomore from Savannah, Georgia studying finance shot 2-over 73 with an 8 on the par-5 13th.  “I hit a tree and it went in the hazard and I couldn’t get it out.  But I finished with two birdies, one after having my life flash before my eyes.  Golf didn’t seem quite so serious after that.”  

“It was hysterical” giggled spectator Sarah Gondrin.  “I never saw golfers move so fast in my life.  They scrambled like rabbits and scattered like ants!” she said, breathless with laughter.  “Yeah, golfers became track stars real quick” joked Bobby Wilson.

The bull then led everyone on a merry chase, tromping all over the front nine before getting cornered by tournament staff on the eighth fairway.  “That’s about the eighth time he’s gotten loose” said one Golfstats scorer turned ersatz animal handler.  “It happens all the time.  But Titleist is completely docile.  He loves people and being ridden, so it’s fine.  Besides, the winner has to ride him in order to collect his trophy.”  Titleist got one of the biggest ovations of the day from the gallery as he was led back to his post near the sixteenth green.  The bull had no comment.

I'll post pics tomorrow

Michael Whitaker

Re:Bull gets loose on course at Bulls bay!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 12:04:21 AM »
Great stuff! Can't wait to see the pictures.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 12:14:14 AM »

Then this

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 12:20:51 AM »
No matter how you look at it, thats a lot of bull!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 12:22:36 AM »
Look at the players walking behind him!  Think RTJ will start adding that to his courses?  Quick, somebody call the USGA compatition committee...I'd pay green money to see that at Oakmont ;D

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 12:35:39 AM »
Lucky he was a happy bull.  I once got chased up a tree at Wishaw Golf Club by a bull that had esacaped from the local abbatoir.  He was understandably an angry bull, and ended up being shot in the middle of the town square by police marksmen.

BTW--"Titelist" is a good name for bull......

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 01:10:44 AM »
BTW--"Titelist" is a good name for bull......

Good one Rihc!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 05:31:30 AM »
There's also a bull at World Woods Rolling Oaks too...it lives on the farm to the left of the par-3 13th.  The first time I was there, I was walking to the tee box and there he is right on the other side of the fence no more than five feet from me, seperated only by a wood fence.  I never played a par-3 so fast in my life.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 07:10:38 PM »
Man, I'd feel a lot safer if they attached rubber balls to the end of those sharp horns!  I also don't know that I'd turn my back on him while pulling him along on a rope.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 11:35:59 PM »
He's actually really docile and well mannered.  People ride him all the time, including the tourney winner...

That being said, I laughed for two days.

The kids that got chased had this to say today...

www.jayflemma.thegolfspace.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back