News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin_Reilly

The Stymie returns - yesterday in SF
« on: January 28, 2006, 04:54:25 PM »
Brian Sleeman and his charming bride Anna visited San Francisco yesterday to tee it up with Messrs Reilly, Benham and (for nine) Huckaby.

Brian and Anna are on their honeymoon, but that is not stopping them from playing some great golf this week.

After a warm up morning 18, the real action started in the afternoon with a nine hole skins game played with the Stymie in full effect.  Putts became a play for position with Huckaby and Benham constantly outwitted by the strategic "leaves" of Reilly.  

Anna took home great carryover skins with a marvelous birdie - what a putt with the four aspiring pro's watching closely.

Here is one pic from the morning warmup:

And another from the final hole of the afternoon ... all watching "Mr. Smooth" Benham knock a wedge close.  Mr. Reilly feeling very relaxed having drained a birdie putt on the previous hole to win a bunch of skins...Mr Huckaby wondering how he was going to stymie Benham by knocking it inside him (he came close).  Brian and Anna holding the camera so no pics of them...hopefully to be remedied later - they took a lot of pics!
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tom Huckaby

Re:The Stymie returns - yesterday in SF
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 07:29:59 PM »
That Benham sure is a silver fox, isn't he?

Many thanks to the hosts for a VERY fun afternoon, and to the Sleemans for putting up with the 5th wheel.

Kevin modestly fails to mention that HE took home the remaining skins with a long birdie putt from off the green on the 8th, much to the chagrin  of a certain chatterbox chunkboy who stood licking his chops over a 15 footer which he assumed would be for the win.  Such chop-licking turned to teeth-chattering when the putt then became for the tie, so of course he (I) missed.

:'(

It was certainly fun and interesting playing the styme in a 5-person skins game.  We sure proved that at least in that format not contemplated by the rules, what it added in fun and strategy it also added in SLOW play.  Of course we weren't complaining, but thank God there was no one behind us!

BTW, if there is a better, more fun, more challenging, more beautiful par 3 course on earth than OClub Cliffs, I really do want to know about it.  I've seen that Threetops course on TV - sorry, no cigar.  Are there really any contenders?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 07:30:24 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 07:31:58 PM »
That Benham sure is a silver fox, isn't he?

Many thanks to the hosts for a VERY fun afternoon, and to the Sleemans for putting up with the 5th wheel.

Kevin modestly fails to mention that HE took home the remaining skins with a long birdie putt from off the green on the 8th, much to the chagrin  of a certain chatterbox chunkboy who stood licking his chops over a 15 footer which he assumed would be for the win.  Such chop-licking turned to teeth-chattering when the putt then became for the tie, so of course he (I) missed.

:'(

It was certainly fun and interesting playing the styme in a 5-person skins game.  We sure proved that at least in that format not contemplated by the rules, what it added in fun and strategy it also added in SLOW play.  Of course we weren't complaining, but thank God there was no one behind us!

BTW, if there is a better, more fun, more challenging, more beautiful par 3 course on earth than OClub Cliffs, I really do want to know about it.  I've seen that Threetops course on TV - sorry, no cigar.  Are there really any contenders?

While not in an oceanside or mountainous setting, Hamilton Farms's Par 3 is quite stunning visually.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 07:34:15 PM »
Yes!
That would have to be a contender, from what I hear.  But man for all golfers not named Pat Mucci, a course set on cliffs above the ocean is going to be tough to beat.  As the sun went down yesterday, on a clear day with unlimited visibility... man that is pretty darn fantastic.

How said Pat would have just focused on the shots.

;)

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 08:34:50 PM »

Kevin modestly fails to mention

No modesty...I mentioned it above!

I've never played stymies before...and I thought it was great fun...making you think about where to leave your miss if someone else was staring at a makeable birdie.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 12:16:25 AM »
Kevin,

I've been advocating the return of the STYMIE in match play for years.

It would add a defensive element as well as a degree of fun.

Tom Huckaby,

Some people are into window dressing, and form, I'm more interested in the substance of the architecture and golf.

Just call me crazy.

Whipped cream on ....... is stilll .........

Michael Robin

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 02:08:18 AM »
Tom - An anecdote from the Cliffs course. We were playing the 3rd hole and as my playing partner rolled in a 10 ft. putt, we heard a disembodied voice say "Nice putt." We both looked at each other wondering who said that, and then we heard laughter, followed the sound up in the air to a hangglider above. They launch from an empty field just to the north using the same updrafts off the cliffs that reek havoc with the shots on this unparalled short course. Is this Weiskopf/Morrish?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 02:14:21 AM by Michael Robin »

Mike Benham

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 09:48:38 AM »
Yes, the Cliffs is a Moorish / Weiskopf design ...

More Cliffs Photos ...

And here is a photo from the hang glider launch area at Fort Funston launch area showing the since abandon rebuilt-rebuilt 1980's expansion of the Olympic Ocean holes.

And for you surfers, a very non-standard southwest swell hitting Ocean Beach ...

« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 09:51:09 AM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Steve Lapper

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 10:04:47 AM »
Yes!
That would have to be a contender, from what I hear.  But man for all golfers not named Pat Mucci, a course set on cliffs above the ocean is going to be tough to beat.  As the sun went down yesterday, on a clear day with unlimited visibility... man that is pretty darn fantastic.

How said Pat would have just focused on the shots.

;)

Tom,

Having played both the OC's Cliff Course and Hamilton Farms Hickory Course many, many times, the primary difference is location, sheer grandeur and architectural integrity. The Cliff Course has the grandeur and it's location is very special. That said, the Hickory's location is also quite nice (but different, set into the parkland of equistrian county) and it's golf hole architecture vastly more complex and complete. It is likely THE best of its breed in the US and perhaps the world. Come east and tee it up to see for yourself! ;D
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Jordan Wall

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 10:09:24 AM »
http://www.hamiltonfarmgolfclub.com/interior_pages/golf.html

That is the website for Hamilton Farm.

Its the Hickory course thats the par-3.

Take the course tour, it's quite fantastic to see such a great par-3 course!  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 07:43:48 PM »
Gents, I would surely love to see and play the Hamilton Farm par 3.  It looks VERY cool, as I heard.  Like I said before, that surely is a contender for best par three course honors.

And Patrick, oh yes, I know the phase to which you allude... but my friend, we desparately need you to come out here and play the Cliffs.  Particularly on a nice day... well... let's just say I'd feel confident you'd enjoy the shots to be played, and even you would gaze outward.  I know you really do have a soul as much as you deny it.

Kevin - my bad - so you did, you arrogant SOB.

;D ;D ;D

TH

PS - more fun was had this morning at PG Muni...

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 08:44:19 PM »
Yes, the Cliffs is a Moorish / Weiskopf design ...

As someone who's name is spelled every different variety (I guess it is the "i before e" rule) I need to stand up for Mr. Morrish.   ;)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 08:45:58 PM »
Kevin, but of course Mike meant that as an adjective - keep in mind all that moorland you hit around and over.

;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 10:24:40 AM »
TO COMPLETE THE SLEEMAN SAGA:

The young couple were joined by me and Dan King yesterday morning at Pacific Grove Muni.  The early morning fog and overcast meant actually warmer temps than we might have otherwise seen - it was a perfect coastal golf morning.

Two holes into the proceedings, the Sleemans likely knew what they were in for as at that point Dan and I fell into our normal rhythym, pausing the conversation only as briefly as possible, to hit golf shots.  This went on all day.  Jeez it was fun.   ;D

In any case, on the 3rd tee, noticing no one had any advantage, I proposed we do a four-ball, Dan and I against the young pro and his smooth-swinging bride.  I figured, hey, it will make things interesting.

And interesting it was, in that it lead to one of the great butt-stompings I can remember receiving.

Dan and I were doing ok up through 6 holes, being only 1 down, losing to a Brian Sleeman birdie on 4.  Then we lost 7 and 8 to pars, halved 9... So ok, 3 down through 9, I figure we're setting them up for the comeback and an epic story.

I then proceed to make 4 pars in a row... and we lost three of those holes!  Damn Brian birdies 10, 12, 13 and we're closed out 6 & 5.  Oh yes it was humbling.

But the ass-kicking couldn't have been administered by a nicer guy.  Brian is what I'd want to be if I were actually good at this game - humble, nice, helpful, cool.  And take all those words and double them when it comes to his wife, Anna.

Who by the way loves to play golf (although she was looking a little golfed out at the end of this marathon!) and doesn't like to shop.

I leave that out there for consideration for all of you married guys.

;D

In any case, to relate this back to golf course architecture, well... PG Muni remains an absolute joy.  I had forgotten how quirky and neat the front nine holes are - there are some greens there that would keep Ed "internal contours are my life" Getka busy for ours.  Then one gets to the back nine and it is our little slice of golf heaven.  I shall be returning more frequently.

;D

Eric Franzen

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 11:11:31 AM »

In any case, to relate this back to golf course architecture, well... PG Muni remains an absolute joy.  I had forgotten how quirky and neat the front nine holes are - there are some greens there that would keep Ed "internal contours are my life" Getka busy for ours.  Then one gets to the back nine and it is our little slice of golf heaven.  I shall be returning more frequently.

;D

PG Muni is the best 40 USD I've ever spent on golf. Period.

The front nine for sure have some really nice moments - like the 5th.

I want to forget about the 8th though, where my nicely controlled approach shot almost made full frontal physical contact with some vital parts of the house on the left side of the fairway.

Mike Benham

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 11:14:42 AM »
I want to forget about the 8th though, where my nicely controlled approach shot almost made full frontal physical contact with some vital parts of the house on the left side of the fairway.

8th? ... it is a dogleg right with trees and the 2nd/3rd hole on the left ... unless you carried across the 2nd green into the apartment building ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 11:16:22 AM »
Eric:

Well said.  PG Muni has got to be among the nation's leaders in bang for the buck.  Compare it to the rest of CA and it's no contest.

What's sad though is that the new clubhouse is nearly complete... and it's hard for me to believe that $40 green fee will remain... storm clouds are brewing.

Said clubhouse, btw, is very modern, very nice... and very out of place on this cool old course.  It really does make me want to weep.

One thing though - no houses on the LEFT of #8... the ones on the RIGHT are sure in play though!

As for individual greens, each of 3, 4, 5, 6 are very cool.

TH

Eric Franzen

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 11:19:09 AM »

8th? ... it is a dogleg right with trees and the 2nd/3rd hole on the left ... unless you carried across the 2nd green into the apartment building ...

Yes, even my wild shots might not reach that far as the apartment building across the 2nd.
I meant the RIGHT side of the fairway.

Eric Franzen

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2006, 11:24:32 AM »
Said clubhouse, btw, is very modern, very nice... and very out of place on this cool old course.  It really does make me want to weep.

Agreed.

The current club house (complete with a grumpy old guy in the pro shop) have a lot of charm - with the worn out locker room and everything.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2006, 11:30:19 AM »
Eric - concur - we were discussing that just yesterday and Dan K. made that exact point.

Just note though that the old clubhouse is completely GONE... the new one is in... they are just finishing internal details.

One course change due to this has happened also - #1 tee is moved a little to the left, the new proshop being where it was before, near the cemetery.  It's not that big of a deal, just a slightly different angle... what is a big deal is the new tee pad with perfect sod, surrounded by cement block stuff... you know, like every other CCFAD seems to have their tee pads?  Oh it too is very nice, and the tourists will love it... but it too brings out the....

:'( :'(

peter_p

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2006, 06:53:02 PM »
Sir Thomas of Huckabie,

Stymie no longer exists because the USGA and R&A over the years have tried to eliminate inconsistencies between match play and stroke play rules.
   It was a match play rule, and died in 1952. RIP.

I would think you could play stymies in the the fourball event. Using USGA handicap rules, one could probably argue the player stymied would have the same option of deciding the score as what they likely would have had if the hole were to be finished (ie: same as picking up).

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2006, 06:56:54 PM »
Peter - thanks. I did read up on the history, found a nice chronology of all of the changes re stymie-related rules.  In that chronology, it said very clearly that stymies only worked in two-ball games.

Of course they had to have played some fourballs during the stymie area... so that didn't make complete sense to me.

However, the more Benham and I tried to puzzle this through, the weirder things got.

We're gonna give it a try on Sunday morning... will report back.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back