News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

Augusta Effective Playing Length
« on: April 07, 2006, 04:45:10 PM »
Could some of the USGA course raters on here comment on the effective playing length of AGNC during tournament week.  Clearly it doesn't play to 7,400 yards with all the downhill shots.  It would not play as long for any of the players as a flattish course such as the Ocean Course at Kiawah would.  But does it effectively play at 7,000 yards or less against its par of 72?

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Augusta Effective Playing Length
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 04:54:32 PM »
Bryan,

My guess is that it doesn't effectively play less than 7,000 yards, but, so much is dependent upon the firmness of the fairways and wind conditions.

Two courses in south Florida, Pine Tree and Boca Rio have routinely played in excess of 7,200 for 20+ years for their members and guests, and I can attest to the fact that you won't get much roll in June, July and August.

So far, it appears that the additional 155 yards hasn't had a material impact on play.

Those guys are really, really good.

P.S.  I've noticed golfers teeing off with three woods on a number of holes, including # 10, so apparently players feel comfortable throttling down.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 04:57:16 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 05:07:27 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking that #10 alone must play 50 to 75 yards shorter than if it was on flat terrain.  It looked to me (from TV) that #2, #9, #11,  #13, and #15 must also play significantly downhill.  Which holes play uphill?  #14, #18?

I believe the rating manual gives you direction on adjusting for downhill and uphill shots, as well as unusual roll outs.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 05:12:31 PM »
Bryan,

# 13 and # 15 don't play significantly downhill.

The downhill portion of # 15 is more toward the green past the big pines on the left.  # 13 is dependent upon TEPaul's turbo boost, if you can hit the perfect drive, but, most of the players are teeing off with three woods to best position their tee shot.

# 14 doesn't play significantly uphill.
# 17 is uphill and # 18 is significantly uphill, as is the second shot at # 9.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 05:14:28 PM »
Could some of the USGA course raters on here comment on the effective playing length of AGNC during tournament week.  Clearly it doesn't play to 7,400 yards with all the downhill shots.  It would not play as long for any of the players as a flattish course such as the Ocean Course at Kiawah would.  But does it effectively play at 7,000 yards or less against its par of 72?

When the Augusta fairways are firm the ball runs forever, especially on the downhill shots.
Best
Dave

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back