News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Re:Cypress Point - I'm a changed person
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2006, 07:11:05 PM »
Eric,

Forget Instant Messaging, tell everyone how you do it.

Bob

Mark_Fine

« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2006, 07:38:42 PM »
I've been lucky to play Cypress several times but by far the most special was the day I played there with my oldest son.  That is something I will never forget.  I had this photo framed for him.  We've played a number of great courses together but someday he will realize how special this was!  We both hit the green (standing there with putters in hand) and each two putted for par.  

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2006, 08:44:09 PM »
When Anna and I played, our caddy suggested we play from the old tee for the sake of nostalgia.

Anna hit it pin-high into the bunker on the right and got up and down.  As for me, I ended up on the downslope just outside the back-left edge of the back bunker.  It was the funnest double bogey I've ever made.

I took this a few moments later...one of my favorite "artsy" shots from our trip...

It's great to read all these memories and thoughts on that special place...it really brings them back for me too.  With my bride by my side I can't imagine a better day on the golf course.

Seth Berliner

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2006, 12:57:06 AM »
Great thread!  I mostly lurk on this site but I think it is important to add some banter every now and then. Much like the original post in this thread, I was fortunate enough to have played CPC a week ago today.  I must say that the experience is simply stated,"Amazing!"  I was kind of in a fog the whole time, not knowing if I should concentrate on my game or just enjoy the surroundings.  It is one of the few places where the golf takes a backseat to the experience.  The poor shots are easier to forget and the good ones will be etched in my memory for years to come.  

The golf course is everything I had heard and more.  One thing that I think hasn't been mentioned yet is the atmosphere that is created when you arrive.  I know for the majority of you the staff is not something that you would comment on but being in this business makes you focus on things other than just the golf. Their friendly nature really makes you feel like you are welcome and makes the whole experience that much more enjoyable.

As far as the golf course is concerned, there are surely more difficult courses I have played. This by no means detracts from the experience.  Being my first time I cannot compare it to a previous visit but I would think if the wind picks up the course would play considerably different than on a calm day. We did have a strong breeze on the inward nine which called for more precise ballstriking. The conditions were wet, I hear they have had a lot of rain lately, and the greens had recently been aerified.  The aerified greens may have been an advantage as I am sure the slope and  increased speed would add to the difficulty.  

I could play CPC every day the rest of my life and not get tired of the experience or layout.  It makes me appreciate the experience that much more knowing that the opportunity to visit  may never come again.  

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2006, 08:20:55 AM »
A truely excellent thread, it's certainly the goal of many to be able to add their thoughts on their first experience of CPC.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2006, 08:40:20 AM »
Had the pleasure of playing CPC for the first time last August, what was even more special was that I was able to bring my father with me.  We talk about CPC at least twice a month, it was one of the best moments of my life and to experience it with him was even more special.  I birdied 15 and then we both birdied 16, hitting drivers into the wind.  My dad to this day still doesn't remember 17 that well because he was so happy and awed about 16 and what happended to us there.  The entire experience from getting to change our shoes in the locker room, to having 30 people stand there and watch us tee off because we were a twosome and were allowed to go off before all the foursomes, to talking to the staff in the pro shop, everything about that day was just perfect.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

George Pazin

« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2006, 04:53:52 PM »
Thanks for the stories, I never tire of hearing them.

I'm already looking forward to the next person's.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Brad Swanson

« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2006, 09:32:48 PM »
Hey Cory,
   I remember well how excited you were for your trip to Nor Cal with your father when we teed it up together last year (almost a year ago exactly if I remember correctly).  I'm glad to hear CPC exceeded your expectations.

Cheers,
Brad

James Bennett

« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2006, 12:08:43 AM »
Guys

well, I haven't read all this thread yet, but....

I played Cypress Point on Wednesday.  It was closed on Tuesday, due to rain and wet conditions.  It was open on Wednesday, and I played as a one.  We ended up with sunshine when I got to the ocean holes.

I now understand the difference between a Doak 8 and a Doak 10.  And why there are so may points above the 'average' of a 3!

I was in heaven for the day, even though on the first few holes I was walking on water - the second hole literally.  Still playable though, just (greens were bone dry though, and approaches were firm).

It was an experience I will never forget.  The caddie (Eddy) was excellent.  For all and any that were involved in enabling my experience yesterday, all I can say is, very humbly and sincerely', thank-you.

I was prepared, and took extra batteries for the camera.  Just as well.  I ran out about 10 yards after the 14th green and ran out of battery power for the camera :o.  My caddy was very worried that I was going to miss the water photos.  For once, I was organised and had spares,

The routing is genius - the combination of dunes and forest early on, then glimpses of the ocean and more dunes, then you round the corner of 14th rgeen, and wham - 15, 16 and 17.  There is discussion about 18, but what could compete after those three holes?  MacKenzie (and others?) did well to hold back the dramatic till the end.

And, what a lovely, simple clubhouse  and locker room.  Lesser clubs could learn a lot from Cypress Point Club.

Talking of routing, the part that I thought was outstanding was the three hole loop of 7, 8 and 9.  {ure genius, and different form so many other courses.  And great fun on all 3 holes.

By the way, given that there aren't any water hazards on the ocean holes, and no 'out-of-bounds', does that mean I 'lost' (well, I know where they are) two balls on #16 and one on #17 in casual water?  If it is not a hazard, what is it?

thanks again to all those involved - I will remember this forever.

More posts to come, when I have time.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back