News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Davenport (Alison) in Iowa
« on: April 07, 2006, 01:46:06 PM »
Please share thoughts about this course which was designed
by HUgh Alison.Is it well preserved, is the terrain modest or is there lots of elevation change? ... nice variety of holes or nice putting surfaces. thanks

Evan Fleisher

Re:Davenport (Alison) in Iowa
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 01:54:07 PM »
Damn, Mark!

I've played the course only once, almost four years ago now during an Iowa Inter-club match.  The course is located (more or less) on the hiugh bluffs of the River so there is a bit of elevation change, but nothing too severe.

I wish I could offer more analysis than that, but I simply don't remember all that much about it...must get back down there and play under "normal" conditions so I can look and evaluate a bit further.  I do remember a really nice collection of par-3's, but could not tell you all that much about 'em right now.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

mikes1160

Re:Davenport (Alison) in Iowa
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 02:14:30 PM »
Mark,

I've played it several times over the last few years and the course is fairly well-preserved, with some great par 3s.  They re-did the 18th several years ago, and I believe the second and third holes were redesigned in the sixties. I would say the elevation changes come into play on four or five holes. The course's claim to fame is that Sam Snead lost the '51 Western Open on the course's signature hole, the par 4 16th, which features a tee that's elevated about 100 feet, with the bluffs of the Mississippi straddling the hole to the right.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back