News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Troy Alderson

ANGC member conditions?
« on: April 03, 2006, 10:40:59 PM »
Does anyone know what course conditions are like for the members?  The conditions cannot be the same obviously, but the conditions must be nice during their golf season.  My understanding is that the summer heat is too hot and the course is closed, so do they play on bermuda at all.  Is all the membership play during the spring, fall, and winter?

Troy

Bob_Huntley

Re:ANGC member conditions?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 12:30:22 AM »
Bill,

I concur. I haven't played there since the early eighties but I was surprised when I played off of very thin grass and red clay.

Bob

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 12:31:12 AM »
Bill i think this is a repeat of an old theme but...

So we should evaluate Atlantic (which usually receives similar conditioning marks to ANGC) or Shinnecock(or any other course in the northeast) the weekend they open when their greens are deep tyne aerified. Or two weeks after they host the US Open???

I actually get the gist of your post but your examples are extreme-there's a lot of season between opening weekend and 2 weeks before they close.
Compare AGNC to ANY other course in the southeast during the same time period for a better comparison.

Did you get the twilight rate? ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 10:51:05 AM »
Since it closes in the summer, what do they do with the grass (assuming they aren't remodeling)?  Let it grow, mow it, cover the greens?

Tom Zeni

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 02:59:15 PM »
The greens haven't been bermuda since Hord changed them to Bent many years ago.

Large fans, especially on #4, are placed at the holes for continued air circulation.  As for construction, something is being done to AN each and every year. From new sprinklers to rebuilding greens.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 07:45:08 PM »
Since it closes in the summer, what do they do with the grass (assuming they aren't remodeling)?  Let it grow, mow it, cover the greens?

Sean,
The rye overseed burns out pretty quickly down here; mid-May at the latest.  The underlying grass is bermuda, which is just now coming out.

As to the conditions, the absolute best time for bent grass greens in the South is the spring, up until aerification.  They are firm, fast and perfect.  
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back