News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

only 1, no cheating!!!

I say 12
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tom Huckaby

Re:you get to play ONLY 1 hole at Augusta: which would it be?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 05:49:14 PM »

Most strategy, best chance for glory, keeps me on the course hopefully way longer than playing 12.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 05:51:22 PM »

Most strategy, best chance for glory, keeps me on the course hopefully way longer than playing 12.

Me too..

But also because of the fact as you walk to and back from the hole you get to see so much of the course!!

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 05:51:48 PM »
keeps me on the course hopefully way longer than playing 12.

very wise, Huck...except if you're Tom Weiskopf in 1980 :(

I believe he made 7 the day after his 13, so 20=14 over on one hole...

that may have been the last Masters he played in , and the only time he missed the cut!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

rjsimper

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 05:52:10 PM »
If we're playing 2006 Masters tees, I say 12
If we're playing 1997 tees, I say 13 for Huck's reason

Tie goes to 12 if the year is not specified, because that's the one hole that will likely never change.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 06:03:07 PM »
I think I'd rather play 15 than 13. Having been at the course last year, I was really surprised how sidehill the fairway is on 13. I'm not really good at hitting long irons or fairway woods with the ball above my feet -- and even getting to a spot where you'd think about going for it requires a pretty precise draw around the corner. Glory seems beyond my skill level at 13.

But on 15, the fairway slopes slightly downhill and is fairly straight. I could see busting one down there and having a shot at the green -- which would be plenty of excitement, with water in front of and behind the green.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Matt MacIver

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 06:10:01 PM »
Before I found this website and just knew that I liked certain holes for uncertain reasons, the hole I most wanted to play in all golf-dom was #13.  

Maybe it's all the t.v. exposure, but it probably still is.  Glad this week is finally here -- long live Spring!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 06:12:14 PM »
Rick - that makes sense.  Having never been there, my impression was that my life-time best drive isn't going to get me to a spot where I can even make it win a cannon three-wood on 15... Whereas 13, at least I can fathom the correct draw that gets me to within 220 (if not closer) so it's in my range to at least give it a go.  I could easily have this wrong.  If 15 is reachable for a mortal like me, well... lot's of chances for glory there as well... I still just kinda like 13 better as to me it seems there's more going on... but 15 is persuasive.

It's all about where the glory could be achieved.

;D

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 06:13:16 PM »
It's partly about which tees you play, too. ;)
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 06:19:50 PM »
It's partly about which tees you play, too. ;)

We're assuming Masters' tees, aren't we?  Shoot, if only given one chance, I don't want to skimp.  Glory doesn't work if modified.

If playing many times, the members' tees work just fine, thank you very much.

TH

Dan Kelly

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 06:33:12 PM »
I want to hit the drive at 13 and the approach to 14.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Andy Doyle

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 06:39:23 PM »
Drive on 10, 2nd shot on 13, putt on 6 or 16.

AD

Gary Daughters

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 07:04:21 PM »

#3..

So I could stand on the tee with my hand on the bag, check the flag at #2, check the treetops, hear the silence, light a smoke, whisper some with my caddy, pick a spot, pull the driver and hear my caddy say "I like that."
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Mike Benham

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 07:14:49 PM »
16 to a back left hole ...

And the opportunity to try and skip one across the pond ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

JWL

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 07:33:21 PM »
Interesting Question!

I have settled on much thought on #13.   Lots of different ways to make birdie, and I would want to make birdie (or less) on my only hole at Augusta.
A bonus would be that I would have to walk right past the 12th.  
I would walk very slowly.

Troy Alderson

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 07:55:08 PM »
I will go with 13 also.  Most Masters tournaments were decided on the 13th hole.  Play it well and win, play it bad and lose.

Troy A.

Andy Doyle

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 07:59:11 PM »
... A bonus would be that I would have to walk right past the 12th.  
I would walk very slowly.

Yeah, that's the ticket.  You have to walk right past 12, so why not play it on the way to 13 tee?

After much thought, I would go with 13 also.  Lots of great challenges plus the fun of trying to play it different ways (going for it in 2 laying up, etc.).  Just getting on/near the green would be just the beginning of the fun.

AD

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 09:36:40 PM »
If we're playing 2006 Masters tees, I say 12
If we're playing 1997 tees, I say 13 for Huck's reason

Tie goes to 12 if the year is not specified, because that's the one hole that will likely never change.
but you get more shots on number 13. Or maybe you dont
 ;D

Brock Peyer

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 09:48:42 PM »
13 is my favorite hole in the world,  I will pick because there is a chance for everything but now that I think about it, I remember Tiger putting it into the water last year and I have a tendency to be bold on approach putts  so I think that I will say 14,  I just love that green,..or I could go with number 5, noone else will say that, I love that green too and I think that she is under appreciated, but I really like 15 and all the danger and possibilities there, I love 16 and 12 equally but if it is the only hole that I can play for the rest of my life, I want to be able to hit my driver and potentially alot of other clubs too, so I will stick with 13 even though I think that I am  neglecting the other holes.  Changes and politics aside, I still love the place.  I am in a funk this week because I am not going for the first time since 1998, if you have a ticket, let me know, I REALLLLLLY need to go.

Rick

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 09:55:23 PM »
I'm with Mike... #16 - although it really doesn't matter where the flag is set to me. I like the intrigue of the skip shot too and on average, that's where the best opportunity is for an ace.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 12:55:59 AM »
I'm teeing off #10 tee and playing to #12 green.  That sounds like an interesting hole, probably the hardest par 7 I'll ever play! ;)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 07:53:01 AM »
I'll go for 6.

A really great downhill par 3 with a wonderful green complex.

Andy Scanlon

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 07:59:56 AM »
I'd go with 11.  Tough tee shot, tough approach, tough hole.
All architects will be a lot more comfortable when the powers that be in golf finally solve the ball problem. If the distance to be gotten with the ball continues to increase, it will be necessary to go to 7,500 and even 8000 yard courses.  
- William Flynn, golf architect, 1927

Michael Moore

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 09:53:07 AM »
If it was because I had only fifteen minutes to live, I would choose 12.

If it was because a meteor was hurtling towards Earth, I would choose 13.

If it was because eminent domain was in the process of devouring 95% of the property, I would play 5.

It all depends on the context . . .
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 12:12:52 PM »
I would pick #10.  I just love watching the ball bound down that massive fairway.  And then after inevitably chunking my second, I could putt and chip around there for a long time.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back