News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

cary lichtenstein

Prince Course: Kauai
« on: March 31, 2006, 09:02:14 PM »
I played this could twice this week, and inspite of it being soaking wet, it is one terrific course.

Anyone making the treck out to Hawaii should try to include this course.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

John Kirk

Re:Prince Course: Kauai
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 09:37:53 PM »
I played it many years ago, and enjoyed it as well.  Even though I only played it twice, I remember most holes from the back nine rather vividly, especailly the par 5 15th, with the green perched out over the edge of the world.

It is a very dramatic course.  It is totally unwalkable, though.  If I'm not mistaken, John VanderBorght quoted the cart path as being 6.5 miles long.

One story.  I'm on my honeymoon, playing golf at the Prince with two other players, and my wife watching.  I hit a great drive on the short par 5 10th hole, and only have about 220 yards to the green, virtually all carry over a huge ravine.  I pull 3 wood out, and fat it into the ravine.  I slam my club to the ground in disgust, which readily snaps in half.  I then pull 5 wood out and hit it to about 15 feet, but miss the putt for par and settle for bogey.

My new wife was horrified and embarassed by my actions.  I only became horrified and embarassed years later, when it dawned on me my honeymoon should have been used for less selfish pursuits.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 10:02:13 PM »
John:

But think of all the points you get here for the story ;D

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 11:05:21 PM »
This is a love it or hate it type of course.  I was staying there for a week, played it once, and never would again.  I think it may actually be a better course if it is a bit wet.......

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 11:55:38 PM »
I still feel that the first is one of the best opening holes on any golf course.

Bob

ed_getka

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 05:10:09 PM »
Cary,
   It is the best course in the Islands for my money, although I haven't played Kapalua yet. Also, I had a great driving day, but I remember thinking a crooked day with the driver could be rough. My other distinct memory is that is was a mistake to walk that course. :o
    Did you get a chance to play the public course back towards town that goes right along the water? It is a great value but I can't remember the name.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 06:23:00 PM »
I just played the Prince course, everything else was literally underwater. I do agree, if you spray it, one can lose alot of balls, but except for 2 holes, I thought the landing areas were pretty generous.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 06:26:22 PM »
I can't believe how much I did like it.  I was prepared for it to be diffucult and beautiful, which it was.  But it was excellent.  After my wife played it in the morning we  played the Makai course.  We quit after nine and went back to the Prince.  

I think it is a toss up, however, between it and Kapalua Plantation, though they are so different it is hard to compare. them.  Kapalua was more fun.  The Prince can eat you for lunch if you don't bring your "A" game or better still, Tiger's "A" game.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 01:16:57 PM »
Cary: I agree with you that there are many good holes on the course but I was troubled by the number of blind tee shots.  It also seemed that you ran out of fairway on a number of holes and the second time around would have been far more enjoyable.  Good course but in my mind not in the same league as Kapalua Plantation.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 01:30:40 PM »
Jerry:

I never ran out of fairway, but remember I played it they have had 30 inches of rain on the course this month alone.

I read some earlier threads that indicate the course runs hard and fast. I moved up to the white tees for my play there, if it was running hard and fast, I would just have moved back.

I agree with you regarding the blind shots, there are 2 of them, 12 and 13, actually 2 of the best holes on the course. The first time I played I went double double on those 2 holes, the next time I went par par.

I shot 38 47 the first time and 39 39 the second time, so the 2nd play really does help with the score, plus the first time, it started to rain on #9, and the second time it was sunny all the way around.

I found the greens to be very challenging, and all the holes diferent from one another. Big piece of property and thought the routing was extremely good.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back