News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

mark chalfant

Bob o LInk in Chicago.......
« on: April 01, 2006, 09:53:33 AM »
Great club ......but hows the design. Rolling terrain,very good greens ?  variety, memorable par 3s.  equal of Beverly or Sh'acres ?

cary lichtenstein

Re:Bob o LInk in Chicago.......
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 06:26:19 PM »
Bob o Link was a top 100 course for a long time. I never understood why people thought so highly of it. I think it may have been political. It is an all male club and they did eventually give in and put a public phone both in the parking lot.

Mike Ditika was a member there and there are a bunch of great stories.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 06:28:11 PM »
Bob o Link is a little like Milwaukee CC.  They are both good tracks and top 100 contenders.  The atmosphere at Bob 0 Link is better.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 06:12:01 PM »
There are hundreds of stories thatcome out of this club and it's all male membership...and I admit, it does have a fun atmosphere about it.

As for the golf course, while it is a good and solid, it mostly strikes me as a very well maintained country club course...in many ways no different than a normal north shore chicago club. I think they members have a way of talking the club up more than it deserves.

One neat thing about the place though; all of the trees' (lots of willow) branches are cut something like eight feet off of the groud...tall enough that you always have a swing in the deepest parts of the forest.
H.P.S.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 06:33:09 PM »
One neat thing about the place though; all of the trees' (lots of willow) branches are cut something like eight feet off of the groud...tall enough that you always have a swing in the deepest parts of the forest.

Pat, Pat, Pat,
I apologise, but THAT is one of the dumbest statements I have ever seen on GCA (and I've read nearly all of Pat Mucci's Posts...)
Sorry, but maintenance of that sort is just plain wrong. If you're wild enough to put a ball in the deep 'forest', then you must be prepared to suffer the PROPER consequences.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 07:25:33 PM »
FBD,

It may have more to do with agronomics then a golfer's swing.

Willows are used in very wet areas.
They can have a shallow root system that can cause serious injury

It's hard to grow good turf under the drip line, hence the trimming may not be "play" oriented.

Just thought you'd like to read another dumb post.

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 08:59:13 PM »
whoa whoa whoa...haha.

I never said that cutting the trees that way would be my personal choice I just thought that it was 1) Maybe a good indication of how the course reflects the membership and 2) a little different than anything I have ever seen in the past.
H.P.S.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 11:00:56 PM »
I see many high end clubs doing the same thing in the name of "fairness" - one club I know spends $100K annually on tree trimming of this sort.  Presumably, it has to go down sooner or later.  However, if a member can ask why he shouldn't have the same shot out of the bunker as he has from the fw, why not ask if he should have the same shot out of the trees as he has from the fw?  

As to Bob O Link, the same neighbor who belonged to Medinah and introduced me to golf (No. 3 was my first play) also joined BOL as a second club, so I got to play there a fair bit.  It was there that I first lost a "Double Secret Chicago Press" bet, of course, not even knowing what it was, since it was, well....secret, until they announced it!

Pretty flat on the front nine, especially, but good holes nonetheless.  One of the few with the first hole also being no. 1 handicap hole.  It didn't seem particularly over treed 25 years ago, but a lot can happen in that time frame.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 11:01:48 PM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 10:05:02 AM »
if the trees are trimmed like that in the name of fairness  I think that is really dumb

why even have trees then?

such anti-tree talk I just don't get

solution:  learn to hit the ball in the fairway!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

tlavin

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 11:07:46 AM »
Bob O'Link is a delightful and interesting golf course.  It is inferior to both Beverly and Shoreacres, but that shouldn't be taken as a demeaning statement.  I think that anybody knowledgeable in golf course architecture would find the course satisfying.  I'm sure that most would think it overplanted with trees, willows in particular.  Fortunately, most of the willows appear to be about thirty years old, so they should be falling down sometime soon.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 11:47:34 AM »
If there is a crappier tree than a poplar, it is a willow.  Do they even have such a messy good for nothing tree in Scotland, Marty?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 11:54:01 AM »
Cottonwoods are the worst for supers. Not only do they break up in every storm, but the bottoms of the leaves are white, causing many lost balls, so they must be raked very frequently.

The general rule in treedom is that the faster a tree grows, the weaker it is. Cottonwoods, Willow, Poplars and Silver Mapes all fit this pattern.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 01:01:02 PM »
May I ask what exactly a "double secret chicago press" is? haha, sounds like something at bob o'link.

I know Jordan and Tiger go there to play every once in a while, and there was a story from a couple years ago on a weekday where the Head Pro had to tell them they had to stop hitting their tee balls on the first and wait another 10 min because the course was officially closed.
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back