News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

peter_p

Re:I'm glad I did it when I did
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2006, 09:28:34 PM »
Playing Pebble Beach and staying at the Lodge within a week of my return Vietnam in 1969.
Going to Scotland with my father in 1975. Highlights were TOC, North Berwick, Prestwick and discovering Famous Grouse, neat.
TPC@Sawgrass with the original greens.
Winter three day weekend golf binges at Bandon.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2006, 12:13:39 AM »
Its all relative, really.  My dad paid some ridiculously small amount the first time he played TOC in the mid 80s.  I may look back and think we got a great deal paying $100-$300 at Tralee, Lahinch, Ballybunion, Old Head and Waterville in 2004, when compared to whatever insane prices they'll be charging in 2024!

I already sort of regret not taking the opportunity to play Pebble for $275 in 1995, because you had to stay in the lodge I figured it would be over $500 and thought that was just stupid for a round of golf.  Now its almost that just for the golf and I think I saw someone say you have to stay in the lodge for TWO nights now.  The only way I'll ever play there now is just calling them the night before if I'm in the area and filling out a group as a single or taking a cancelled tee time.  Its just insane to pay over $1000 for a round of golf, no course is worth that.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2006, 03:13:55 AM »
I think I played Torrey Pines South for $5 in 1970.  That was as a non-resident walk-on.  

Marc Haring

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2006, 03:32:24 AM »
I mentioned this on another thread but I have in my possesion a UK golf course guide circa 1978. TOC for £5.50 in those days and only £2.40 on The New and £9.60 for the whole week.

In the immortal words of Mary Hopkins.........

ForkaB

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2006, 04:09:38 AM »
When I joined Dornoch in 1981, the initiaton fee was £37.48 and the annual fee the same.  First time in Scotland (1978) the most expensive course was Western Gailes at £6.  The rest, including TOC, Muirfield, Troon, Turnberry, etc. were £5 or less.  Sorry, Tom D, for causing the price rises in 82-83......

My notes tell me I was "shocked" to pay Turnberry Hotel £76 for 2 nights B&B, 4 rounds of golf, two sumptuous dinners, inculding wine, pre-prandial cocktails, etc.

I, too, used to play Pebble in the mid-late 70's when it was originally $35 including cart (no walking option in those days--they'd just laid down the cart paths and wanted to get their money back!).  If you got off early you could also have a replay for $10 (cart fee only).  Me and my buddy Mike did this a lot, even though $45 was a slightly more substantial sum in those days and at our age.

I spent 4 months in the Burghfield House Hotel in Dornoch in 1981, and the whole shebang (dinner, bed, breakfast, copious libiations, golf (see above), women, travel and song cost about $10,000.  Pretty expensive relative to Tom in his student days a couple of years later, but of course, I probably lived a little bit higher off the hog then than Tom chose to. ;)

Finally, before any of you submit to nostalgia envy (or loathing) remember the wise words that Bob Huntley said on another recent thread.  Now, I can't exactly remember them :'( :'( :'(, but they were to the effect that NEVER regret spending more than you think you can afford on something of quality and lasting memory.

Amen.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 04:13:17 AM by Rich Goodale »

James Bennett

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2006, 05:45:30 AM »
Now, I can't exactly remember ...... but they (the words)were to the effect that

NEVER regret spending more than you think you can afford on something of quality and lasting memory.

Amen.

Well said, and spelt Rhic

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2006, 09:28:24 AM »
I have a 1969 Donald Steel Guide.  Green fees were quoted in shillings as so few courses were above £1, but here are a few in modern sterling (per round, weekday):

North Berwick 37.5p
Cruden Bay 30p
Machrihanish 50p
Carnoustie 37.5p
Gleneagles £1.50
Gullane No 1 75p
Luffness New 62.5p
Prestwick 75p
Southerness 30p
Troon (not Royal in those days) £1.25
Turnberry (non-resident) £1.50
Royal North Devon 75p
St Enodoc £1
Saunton £1
Ferndown £1.50
Parkstone £1
Isle of Purbeck £1
The Addington £1.25
Sunningdale £2.50
The Berkshire £2.25
Littlestone £1
Royal Cinque Ports £1
Royal St George's £1.25
St George's Hill £1
Rye £1.25
Walton Heath £2
Woking 87.5p
West Hill £1
Worplesdon £1
Painswick 37.5p
Pennard 75p
Royal Porthcawl £1
Royal Liverpool £2
Royal Lytham £1.50
Royal Birkdale £1.50
Formby £1.50
Wallasey £1
Beau Desert £1
Alwoodley £1
Ganton £1.25
Ballybunion 62.5p
Portmarnock £1.25
County Sligo 75p
Killarney (only 18 holes then) 87.5p
Portsalon 25p
Royal Co Down £1
Royal Portrush 75p

The cheapest?  I haven't been all the way through, but Port Bannatyne on the Isle of Bute was 1/- per round 1/6 per day or 5p and 7.5p in modern money.  Interestingly Welsh green fees, which are now the cheapest in the UK, were comparatively dear then.

Chris Kane

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2006, 05:19:46 PM »
Am I the only one who finds this thread really depressing?  :)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2006, 05:47:59 PM »
Am I the only one who finds this thread really depressing?  :)

Hell no.  I'm damn near ready to end it all.

:'(

TEPaul

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2006, 08:53:23 PM »
As many have said on this thread, I'm glad I played Pebble when I did--it was in the Gordon Gin World Pro-Am around 1990.

There is absolutely no way in hell I'd pay close to $500 to play that course or any other golf course.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2006, 10:51:23 PM »
"I'm glad I did it when I did..."

I'm glad I played Wild Dunes not long after it first opened. There was only a trailer for a clubhouse and the course was cut through a true maritime forest... long before Hugo tore out all of the trees. There were no condos or houses... no development of any kind. It was my first truly great course and it was something special to see. Stunning. Breathtaking.

It's still an outsanding course, but with all the trees gone and the condos/houses lining nearly every hole the experience is nothing like it was in the beginning.

C'est la vie'.

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

ed_getka

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2006, 05:18:26 PM »
Chris et al,
   Not to worry, when you live long enough you get to reminisce too. My last CAR cost as much as my parents HOUSE. I can't wait until my kids grow up and buy their first house and I get to watch their eyes bulge out when I tell them the house they grew up in ONLY cost 250K. I'm sure starter homes will be well clear of a million dollars by then, at least out here in la-la land. ::)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2006, 05:23:27 PM »
Ed:  I thought starter homes in California already cost over $1 million!

ed_getka

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2006, 05:53:58 PM »
Tom,
   Not yet, but we are on the brink of the abyss. :P
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back