News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mark_Rowlinson

I'm glad I did it when I did
« on: March 30, 2006, 12:17:45 PM »
Mention of Stoke Poges in another post prompted me to remember how lucky I was to play it when it was inexpensive, affordable even to a student.  I am glad I played it then, for it is now very expensive.  Similarly I am glad I played TOC a lot in the 70s and 80s when it was far less busy and much, much cheaper.  

Which opportunities are you particularly glad to have taken when you had the chance?  This question might apply to the architects, too.  Which holes are you glad to built when you did becuase you might not be allowed to now?

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:I'm glad I did it when I did
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 12:20:22 PM »
On the other hand, I know someone who turned down a membership at Pine Valley in the 1960s when the initiation was $1500 or so. He was recently married and his now ex-wife wouldn't go for it.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Michael Dugger

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 12:23:48 PM »
Bandon and Pacific, 2001

Stayed in yurts one mile down the street for $30 a night (they sleep three EASILY)

As am Oregonian, greens fees during the non-peak season was $55 per round.

It don't get any cheaper

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 12:24:11 PM »
Mark - great question - I'm sure we all have a lot of these.

For me, I am primarily VERY glad I took a grand tour of Scotland and Ireland in 1987, and played so many great courses then, with the guest prices being 1/10 of what they are now in some places, 1/4 at all - not to mention the crowds being about the same proportion.

Here are a few others:  I am very glad I played Spanish Bay back when it first opened, and when it was fescue.  I'm glad I played MPCC-Dunes before the renovation, just so I could see what an improvement was done there.  I'm glad I played MPCC-Shore before it was re-done, just because it was such a damn fine course with such great greens, that I appreciate the memory, even if today's course is overall likely an improvement.  I'm glad I played several others in NorCal and SoCal before they were developed out of existence...

TH

ps - and I too am very glad I played Bandon and Pacific back when Pacific first opened, when prices were more reasonable.  Good call MDugger.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 12:25:24 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Steve Pieracci

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 12:26:50 PM »
Many years back, local charities would sell “Gift Cheques” that provided a 2 for 1 price at many local establishments.   My friends and I would buy them just for the Pasatiempo coupons, and we would play there 6 to 8 times a year for half price.  

My first time at Pebble cost $35 back in the late 70’s.    

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 12:28:58 PM »
Steve, How does $35 back in the 70s compare with today's price of not a lot under $500?

It seems to me that visitor green fees almost everywhere have risen far beyond inflation.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 12:29:20 PM »
Great calls there, Steve.

I am DAMN glad my Dad took me to Pebble in 1978, when we paid $55 - which seemed like a fortune to both of us, but jeez compare that to now...

I'm also damn glad connections to the SCU golf team allowed me to play Pasatiempo a bunch of times in the early 80s for about $15.  Beyond that, I'm also damn glad I played Pasa so much back then - even into the late 80s, before it got ranked, it was still around $50.

TH

Paul_Turner

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 12:29:29 PM »
Ballybunion and Lahinch in 1989, I might go back in the winter someday, but never in the summer.

TOC was pretty cheap for a long time after the start of golf tourism.  I think it was still only 25 quid in 1990.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 12:29:55 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 12:38:44 PM »
Back in 1984 I told the wife we need to go play Pebble Beach now because soon, gasp, it will cost more than $100 to play! We did play it for $75, have only been back for the Open in 1992 where we camped in Big Sur and made day trips to watch the action.

Playing TOC on honeymoon in 1986 was a bargain at 25 pounds; how things have changed in 20 short years. Personally I'm blaming the Austrailian Trophy Hunters for all this ;).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 12:46:37 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 12:40:47 PM »
Good ones there, Pete!

But seeing your name reminds me I have to mention Torrey Pines... I am damn glad I played that when I briefly lived in San Diego in the late 1985 - early 1986.

TH

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 12:41:02 PM »
Paul,

I'm sure that's right.  It was about £14 when I stopped going there - and that was only because of work commitments and a young family.  But I will go back.  Even at £105 or whatever it now is it's not as extreme as most of the other Open venues - Carnoustie does good winter breaks, too.

I meant also to say that I am very glad I took up the suggestion of coming over to the States to play in last year's Yale/Creek outing.  I've bored you with recounting it all before, but it was a very special experience.

Steve Pieracci

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 12:58:02 PM »
Steve, How does $35 back in the 70s compare with today's price of not a lot under $500?

It seems to me that visitor green fees almost everywhere have risen far beyond inflation.

Mark,
The $35 round was my high school graduation present from my dad.  I can try to compare it to today.  Golf at the local muni was in the $5 to $10 price range....? if I remember correctly.    Local muni's are ~ $35 to $45 today.  

Tom,
The price increase from '77 to '78 was %50.  wow.    

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 01:00:19 PM »
Steve - you mean at Pasa?

The chronology is all hazy to me now, as I tend to actively try to forget things that pissed me off, but I remember very well that the year Pasa received it's first Top 100 magazine ranking, the price jumped more like 100%.  Again, it may be pissed off memory... so I am likely exaggerating.  But price jumps there were epic - and sad.

:'(

Kyle Harris

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 01:05:01 PM »
Bethpage Red recently almost double their prices out of state to about $72-$82  ??? :(

Steve Pieracci

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 01:09:56 PM »
Great calls there, Steve.

I am DAMN glad my Dad took me to Pebble in 1978, when we paid $55 - which seemed like a fortune to both of us, but jeez compare that to now...

No, I meant Pebble.   Because the prices were so enormous, they are the only ones clear in my mind.  

We retuned to Pebble in 1982, just 2 weeks prior to the US Open, and paid $75.  I did not return until I turned 40 in 1999, and it was $375 and mandatory lodging.      

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 01:11:39 PM »
Steve - gotcha.  Oh yes, when it comes to price increases, Pebble puts the "e" in each of epic and exorbitant and extortionary.

;D

But the more I think about this, the more I am pretty sure the price was $55 that we paid, but that it was 1976 when we paid it (not 78 - sorry!).  I was 13... oh what the hell, trust your memory WAY over mine.

;)

« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 01:13:22 PM by Tom Huckaby »

rjsimper

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 01:19:45 PM »
Routing my drive home from college (vermont to LA) through nebraska to stop and play 36 at Wild Horse...can't imagine the next time I'll be within 10 hours of Gothenburg...

John Kirk

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 01:21:48 PM »
Same thing as Pete.  I took my dad to play Pebble Beach on his 55th birthday (1982) for $75 per player.  How memorbale is Pebble?  I shot 93, but parred the last three holes.  I hit a 7-iron to about 20 feet on the 18th green, and received a smattering of applause from an impromptu gallery.

That reminds me.  Spyglass was $15 after 4PM back then, if you had an NCGA card.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 01:22:36 PM by John Kirk »

Eric Franzen

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006, 01:22:00 PM »

We retuned to Pebble in 1982, just 2 weeks prior to the US Open, and paid $75.  I did not return until I turned 40 in 1999, and it was $375 and mandatory lodging.      

Wow! $375 back in 1999. I shelled up an even 300 back in 2002, if I remember correctly. Was the prices actually going down for a while?
I remember reading that business got a bit slow for the Pebble Beach company with some cancellations following 9/11.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2006, 01:22:39 PM »
In an article I wrote for 'South Africa Golf Magazine' back in 1963, I commented on how expensive golf was in America. I played Pebble Beach, the green fee was seven dollars and the caddie fee all of ten.

In later years there was a resident pass for about $400.00 a year and a bit later I had a better deal than that.

Bob

Steve Pieracci

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2006, 01:25:55 PM »

That reminds me.  Spyglass was $15 after 4PM back then, if you had an NCGA card.

Good call there, I forgot about all those days at Spyglass with our NCGA cards.  

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2006, 01:28:34 PM »
Kirk and Steve,

Find a Member to take you out and Spyglass is still only $15.00.

Bob

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2006, 01:28:48 PM »
If memory serves me correctly I paid $50 to play Spyglass Hill as a So. Cal. resident in 1983.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2006, 01:34:47 PM »
If memory serves me correctly I paid $50 to play Spyglass Hill as a So. Cal. resident in 1983.

Pete - that sounds about right - it was in the $50 range for all visitors for a long time.

And of course Bob just mentioned one of the great bargains in golf, one that is sadly going to come to an end before too long.

TH

Tom_Doak

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2006, 08:30:27 PM »
When I went to the UK in 1982-83, the most expensive course I paid to play was The Old Course at St. Andrews, which cost 15 pounds (25 dollars).

My ENTIRE expenses for living in the UK for 9 1/2 months were about $10,000.  Of course, I didn't eat as well then ...

I'm headed back on Thursday with my wife to spend ten days near Archerfield, I don't think we'll be able to make the trip for that little!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back