News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Steve_ Shaffer

James Vernon of USGA Equipment and Standards speaks...
« on: March 30, 2006, 06:43:38 PM »
From Bill Huffman's column in today's East Valley Tribune:

Bombs away’ attitude changing face of game
By Bill Huffman, For the Tribune
March 30, 2006
Have you noticed how golf at the PGA Tour level has changed dramatically? Instead of talking about a player’s “sweet swing,’’ all the emphasis these days is on the bada-bing.

Translated: Big hitters are dominating the Tour like never before, and it has less to do with swing mechanics than it does with athleticism and high-tech equipment.

How this all pans out should be interesting. The U.S. Golf Association is currently conducting tests on reining back the ball in conjunction with every manufacturer in the world. Just don’t expect Titleist or Callaway to give up much ground any time soon.

Like you, I enjoy driving the ball as far as I can. But I was bothered by comments from USGA official James Vernon, who was the guest speaker at last week’s Arizona Golf Association awards dinner at Moon Valley Country Club in Phoenix.

Vernon is the 2006 chairman of the Equipment Standards Committee. He also is in his first year as vice president of the USGA after serving as a member of the Executive Committee for the past three years.

In other words, Vernon knows golf. And what he said about the high-tech ball in relation to how far it’s traveling these days deserves our attention.

For instance, Vernon mentioned how all of this bombing of the ball has led to a “de-skilling of the golf swing.’’ And he’s right, as Tiger Woods doesn’t resemble Bobby Jones or Ben Hogan in any way, shape or form.

And face it, everybody wants to be like Tiger. If that means hitting it a mile and then searching for it, so be it. That Woods ranks No. 9 in distance (302.9 yards per drive), No. 140 in accuracy and No. 3 in money ($2.16 million) says it all.

According to Vernon, higher swing speeds are “more about athleticism’’ and less about rhythm and tempo.

“Today, there is no correlation — none — between driving accuracy and winning on the PGA Tour,’’ Vernon said. “But there is a clear increase (in money won) for players who drive it over 300 yards.’’

Vernon said it’s gotten to the point where the Tour’s motto — “These guys are good!” — is debatable.

“Maybe,’’ he said of the Tour’s claim. “But more and more, they’re hitting it off-center and getting away with it.’’

Dubbed the “Baby Bombers,’’ Bubba Watson, J.B. Holmes, Camilo Villegas, Bill Haas, Lucas Glover, Geoff Ogilvy, Robert Garrigus, Arron Oberholser and the “other Bubba” — Dickerson — are saying: “Hey, if it works for Tiger, it works for me, too.’’

The results back their claim, as Holmes already has captured the FBR Open while ranking No. 2 in distance (312.9 yards per drive) and a distant No. 155 in accuracy. Even the slender Villegas is No. 3 in driving (308.5 yards) and No. 11 in money ($1.25 million) without finding the short grass (No. 162).

Obviously, the chief culprit in creating this trend toward athleticism vs. skill is Woods. That his Nike ball adds to his prowess is no surprise, as every pro has a ball customized to his swing speed.

In fact, of the top five money winners this season, only David Toms is a Punch-and-Judy hitter. The rest — Rory Sabbatini, Ogilvy, Woods and Chad Campbell — are all bashers.

Vernon sees the impact of the high-tech ball on the “No Fear” generation, and it troubles him. He said unless the ball gets brought back by 20 yards or so, we’ll be forced to bulldoze our way into the future.

“The lengthening of golf courses is costly, and in many cases, impossible,’’ Vernon said. “That’s why we need everyone’s cooperation on this (issue).’’

The textbook case is Augusta National, which this year has been lengthened — for the third time in five years — to 7,445 yards for the Masters. And it’s a crying shame, Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus told Golf Digest.

Trust me, it’s not like Arnie and Jack are old fuddy-duddies lashing out at change. It’s more like golf has become “Star Trek,” with Captain Tiger and his crew powering the ball at warp speed to destinations unknown.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tony Ristola

Re:James Vernon of USGA Equipment and Standards speaks...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 07:30:54 PM »
Well, instead of talking about it do something about it!
You're the governing body! (OK, one of two).
Act like one.

Just do it!

As for "cooperation", I smell a we need the ball mfg.'s to be nice and work with us tone.
Sorry, ain't gonna happen because you're gonna kill their monopoly.

Take one, take all; "For the good of the game."
10% shorter ball.
Smaller club heads.
No grooves on any clubs.
No markings on the face of any clubs. (Abrasion standard)
11 club maximum.

Then we'll find out who can really play.

Interesting because I had this conversation yesterday with a physiotherapist with the Euro Tour. All the young guys come to him to learn how to take steps to becoming Tiger-ized. We discussed the death of strategy, how shotmakers have been outdriven out of the business.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 07:34:30 PM by Tony Ristola »

ChasLawler

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 08:35:23 PM »
As for "cooperation", I smell a we need the ball mfg.'s to be nice and work with us tone.
Sorry, ain't gonna happen because you're gonna kill their monopoly.

The only company that stands to lose anything as a result of a roll-back on the ball is Titleist.

The rest of them would be more than happy to get a new crack at increasing their market-share.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 09:32:58 PM »
For instance, Vernon mentioned how all of this bombing of the ball has led to a “de-skilling of the golf swing.’’ And he’s right, as Tiger Woods doesn’t resemble Bobby Jones or Ben Hogan in any way, shape or form.

If Vernon thinks that Tiger Woods exhibits less skill than Bobby Jones, then he's a fool. If that statement from Vernon is being taken out of context, then the writer of the quoted column is a liar.

Tiger's skills are different because he doesn't have to know how to time the swing to work with the whip of a hickory shaft. Bobby Jones's skills are different because he didn't have to know how to hit the ball 290 yards in the air or how to putt on perfect greens stimping 12+. Different skills but in no way lesser skills. Tiger is a bloody amazing talent, so was Jones.

If the USGA doesn't want the ball to go as far, then they should change the specification. I'm about tired of the organization that writes the damned Rules bitching about the fact that their Rules allow people to hit the ball too far. Put up or shut up, USGA.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 10:54:59 PM »
Quote"In fact, of the top five money winners this season, only David Toms is a Punch-and-Judy hitter. The rest — Rory Sabbatini, Ogilvy, Woods and Chad Campbell — are all bashers."

Really Steve, this Huffman is not a golf writer. It is a shame, because the issue is relevant.  Maybe, maybe Sabbatini is a basher, he takes a big lunge with the driver, but he works the ball.. sounds a little like Arnold Palmer. The other 3 are great swingers who happen to be playing well right now. Has this guy ever seen Chad Campbell swing??

Personally, I think it is the PGA tour, not necessarily in the pocket of, but certainly friendly with the manufacturers, and the way they set up the courses that is the problem. These guys wouldn't whale it if they were regularly punished for their misses. Tiger is no fool. But on the PGA tour, trees really are 90% air.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 01:37:35 AM »
Does anyone have access to the stats of yesteryear?

Ten years ago, were the top driving distance guys also the top money winners? 20 years ago? 30 yrs  ago? 40, 50?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 03:08:20 AM »
Does anyone have access to the stats of yesteryear?

Ten years ago, were the top driving distance guys also the top money winners? 20 years ago? 30 yrs  ago? 40, 50?

Adam -- haven't checked yesteryear yet.  But I did check last year.  Only 5 of the top 20 players in driving distance were among the top 20 in earnings.   Nine of them, by my count, were not in the top 100.  

Meanwhile, 8 of the top 20 money winners last year ranked worse than 100 in driving distance.  (Donald, Verplank, Furyk, Funk, Leonard, Toms, Bryant, DiMarco.)  

In other words, some long hitters are doing great and some short hitters are doing great.  But at the end of the day, most real long guys are toward the bottom of the pack.  

These numbers say to me that the idea that pro golf has turned into just a flogging game is overly simplistic.  

Tony Ristola

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 03:25:57 AM »
Quote:
"These numbers say to me that the idea that pro golf has turned into just a flogging game is overly simplistic."

That's why strategy is at a pinnacle in the pro game today!?
Why fairways get narrower and without rough they turn courses into jokes.
It's why Augusta is 7,500 yards.
Why majors get longer and longer.
7,000 yards is a "short course"?

I think you can look at all the stats.
The entire tour.

Without even looking, my guess is you're not going to see a lot of Paul Runyan's, Lee Trevino's, Fred Funks or Pavin's out there. Guys like that, who had great ball control and sharp short games, if they want to stay in the game they're looking at club jobs, or other areas of the business.

It's not just bomber golf, it's thermonuclear warfare.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 03:29:00 AM by Tony Ristola »

Brent Hutto

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 08:04:09 AM »
I think Tiger Woods has as good a short game as Paul Runyon did and can probably work the ball as well as Lee Trevino could. Now neither Lee or Tiger can make a Nike One Platinum (or whatever) curve as much as they could a Titleist Tour Balata but they both can accomplish pretty much any shot that a particular kind of ball will allow.

People doing the stick-in-the-mud thing want to pretend that the modern game has let players with huge distance and mediocre short games dominate players with mediocre distance and great short games. That's one of those false dichotomies they used to warn about when they taught rhetoric. What's happening is that players with huge distance and great short games are dominating over players with mediocre distance and great short games. It is still totally necessary to wedge, chip and putt well to succeed on the PGA Tour, it's just that now you have to wedge, chip and putt well plus hit it a ton.

Why is it any less fair or desirable that a really short hitter is now virtually disqualified from being among the elite (unless every other part of their game is just phenomenal) than what has always been the case...which is that anyone who can't putt pretty darned good is virtually disqualified from being among the elite (unless every other part of their game is just phenomenal).

Jim Nugent

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 10:18:16 AM »
Quote:
"These numbers say to me that the idea that pro golf has turned into just a flogging game is overly simplistic."

That's why strategy is at a pinnacle in the pro game today!?
Why fairways get narrower and without rough they turn courses into jokes.
It's why Augusta is 7,500 yards.
Why majors get longer and longer.
7,000 yards is a "short course"?

I think you can look at all the stats.
The entire tour.

Without even looking, my guess is you're not going to see a lot of Paul Runyan's, Lee Trevino's, Fred Funks or Pavin's out there. Guys like that, who had great ball control and sharp short games, if they want to stay in the game they're looking at club jobs, or other areas of the business.

It's not just bomber golf, it's thermonuclear warfare.

Tony, I just named eight of the top twenty money winners who don't bomb the ball.  They are not in the top 100 in driving distance.  I guess I don't understand your point, given that nearly half the top twenty are Lee Trevino/Fred Funk types.  

JohnV

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 10:52:02 AM »
If the USGA doesn't want the ball to go as far, then they should change the specification. I'm about tired of the organization that writes the damned Rules bitching about the fact that their Rules allow people to hit the ball too far. Put up or shut up, USGA.

I think they are making the case in the court of public opinion before announcing any changes.  If they just came out and said, the ball is going X shorter, most golfers would scream.  If they make the case first, people might be more accepting.

Is it terrible to have one extra year of bashing on the PGA Tour while you explain the need, if you can make the change a lot more acceptable to the people who play the game?

Brent Hutto

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 11:07:36 AM »
John,

I think the last comment of Vernon's that was quoted does a good job of making the (valid) case for throttling back the ball. Today's distance has indeed led to an awful lot of extra real estate being devoured by expanding golf courses, to no particular good end. But I think the honest way to pitch that in the court of public opinion would be something like this.

The best players in the game and to a lesser extent a large number of younger golfers at every level had gotten so strong so quickly that regulation of the golf ball has fallen behind the curve. It was never the USGA's intention that more athletic players could gain the kinds of distance and control that today's golf ball offers them. When the new regulations and testing methods are put in place the longest hitters will see a substantial reduction in driver distance, possibly as much as 20 yards. The strength and ability of the best modern players will still be rewarded but not to such an extreme degree as they are enjoyed today.

No talk about "de-skilling", which is simply a transparently bogus attempt to somehow blame long-hitting players for the fact that they can hit the ball so far. Hitting the ball hard and straight is a skill that has always been fundamental to the game and rightly so. It is not valid to keep insisting that it is now some sort of aberrant freakish trick that is somehow destroying the game. Players are correct to want to hit the ball as far and straight as possible. It is up to the USGA to decide (and as you point out, to sell to the public) just how far and how straight it's going to be possible with a conforming golf ball. If they feel that their traditional approach to regulation needs to be updated, then that's what they ought to say. Don't make it sound like there's something unfair or perverted about the abilities of today's strongest players.

John Kirk

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 03:19:17 PM »
I am under the impression that Jack Nicklaus revolutionized the game partly because he was a very long hitter compared to his peers.  I wonder where Jack's fairway accuracy ranked when he was dominant.

I don't disagree that the new ball gives a disproportionate advantage to the strong player.  But I don't want the powers in charge eliminating advantages historically enjoyed by powerful players.

Have you ever watched old golf broadcasts?  Modern pro players are far more skilled around the greens, able to hit high and low shots, with or without spin, on command.  I'd argue that Tiger Woods has the greatest short game ever, though I do recall someone here saying Gary Player put on a clinic at last year's par-3 contest at the Masters.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back