News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

John Keenan

Re:Banning shorts
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2006, 04:37:30 PM »
and a solid reason to ban shorts on all golf courses.
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2006, 04:40:24 PM »
I dunno, John.  Barnes is looking pretty hot.  This might be the start of Brokeback Golf.

;) ;) ;)

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2006, 05:13:33 PM »
It's not the shorts but the socks that upset me; lets see some calf!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2006, 05:17:11 PM »
I dunno, John.  Barnes is looking pretty hot.  This might be the start of Brokeback Golf.

;) ;) ;)

I, for one, am comfortable enough in my masculinity to publicly admit to thinking Barnesy's legs are looking pretty good there! 8)

I am so chuffed (pleased) that BB has been working on Sky TV for the past two or three seasons. His comments are always intelligent, considered and worthwhile. A proper bloke, and no mistake! I hope his problems are all behind him.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2006, 05:19:18 PM »
You and me both, brother Martin.

The more I hear about Barnes, the more I believe he'd be a fine hero.

Pipping Jack twice in one day is only one of his legendary achievements, no?  He does seem like a proper bloke.

Well done, yes, well done indeed.

;D

Tim Pitner

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2006, 05:24:50 PM »
With all due respect to the Brits or Aussies or whoever wears them, the knee-high socks are truly ridiculous.  If one can wear only pants or shorts with knee-high socks, that's really not much of a choice, is it.  You might as well ban shorts under those circumstances.  

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2006, 05:27:05 PM »
One of the few proper highlights in another 21-11 humping when the Ryder Cup genuinely belonged to the USA!

http://www.pga.com/rydercup/2004/us/history/1975.html

Is it really THAT long ago? Boy, I'm getting old...

FBD.

PS Tim, you clearly have never visited Bermuda then? ;D

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2006, 05:31:10 PM »
I'm watching the Bellsouth live on Sky as I type (ah, the joys of wi-fi!) Just seen Poulter bouncing one off the cart path nearly on the green.

I am thinking of lobbying Poults to resurrect the Shorts for this years Ryder Cup. I think we could gain a not insubstantial advantage...mwhah, Hah, HAH!

FBD.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2006, 05:35:05 PM »
Martin:

I always have liked Poulter... then someone sent me a pic of him wearing the uniform of the football team he supports, during an actual European Tour round... in fact he got reprimanded for doing it....

HE'S A GOONER!!!!!

My taste remains impeccable.

;D

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2006, 05:42:47 PM »
He managed to avoid the fine...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/4668966.stm

I meant to congratulate you and your team on their performance this week. Poor Viera must be kicking himself (when he's not kicking someone else, that is!) ;)

FBD.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 05:44:46 PM by Martin Bonnar »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2006, 05:44:46 PM »
THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have absolutely made my day, Martin.  Many thanks.

And yes, now toward the end of what has been a trying year, all is gleeful for us gooners.  Somehow the sight of Pires tackling Vieria off the ball, leading to a Cesc goal.... it made us all believe again.

;D ;D

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2006, 05:51:18 PM »
I MUST add that nearly ALL UK Golf Clubs frown MASSIVELY on the wearing of football 'colours' either on the course or in the clubhouse.
By all means, bring your favourite shirt with you, but save it for the pub (if they'll allow it!) There's just too much sectarian nonsense - in Glasgow especially.

FBD.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2006, 06:05:22 PM »
Martin - thanks for the tip.  While I doubt I'd ever be as bold as Poulter over there, well... I could see a huge victory making me feel like wearing mine on the course.  I shall keep this in mind.

SIDE-NOTE:  I already have done a Poulter here, during one of my club tournaments.  I must say the tiny minority who knew what the hell it was were duly impressed.  There is one problem though... that O in the O2 is in a bad place for us men of weight.

;D

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2006, 06:11:08 PM »
Major Audible Caledonian Yuks!!

;D

'men of weight' indeed. I prefer 'enhanced girth'... ;)

FBD. 8)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2006, 06:12:40 PM »
Thank you, thank you very much. (add Elvis voice).

I must give proper attribution for "men of weight", though.  I first heard that from the great John Bernhardt... who oddly enough from what I hear no longer is one of us.

TH

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2006, 09:29:16 PM »
Agman,

Sherwood bans shorts.

Clubs ban them because club's formulate their own rules and decide what's best for their members and guests.

I've never had a problem respecting the rules of a club that I was a guest of, do you ?

"When in Rome ........."

Gerry B

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2006, 09:33:14 PM »
the current list in the us that i know of or have played that ban shorts are:

ANGC
Cypress Point
San Francisco GC
Bel Air
LACC

I thought Baltusrol recently changed their policy in summer  - does anyone know if this is the case? played there a few years ago just prior to the US Amateur in unbearable heat - and then watched on TV as the Amateurs were allowed to wear shorts - go figure

the rule makes no sense in places where heat is an issue
At least ANGC is only open in the colder months and as mentioned Cypress is rarely warm enough - ditto for SFGC

The LACC / Bel Air rule makes no sense to me

Steve Lapper

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2006, 09:47:25 PM »
Agman,

Sherwood bans shorts.

Clubs ban them because club's formulate their own rules and decide what's best for their members and guests.

I've never had a problem respecting the rules of a club that I was a guest of, do you ?

"When in Rome ........."

Beg to differ re: Sherwood...they are allowed.

I do share your respect though and won't wear them tomorrow on a certain first tee 8)
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2006, 11:13:31 PM »
I thought it was Short Hitters that were being banned this year. Barnesy needn't worry.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2006, 12:34:10 AM »
I played 36 at Saucon Valley Old and Weyhill back in 02 in the middle of July, walking, and wearing pants as i was told I had to.  We started early, but it was well over 90 (with very high humidity) for most of the day.  My two friends and I counted that we each drank 18 bottles of water or gatorade, and one of them still felt sick and had to lie down after we finished.  Luckily the club's pool is about 20 yards from the 18th green at the Old course, as we were in it 90 seconds after putting out.

The no shorts rule is pointless, the only thing that can happen is someone is stupid, doesn't drink enough water, and passes out on the course.  Forget tradition, its just common sense.  

I think "no shorts" rules are kind of stupid but I really can't imagine that the difference between shorts or no shorts is going to make the difference in passing out.  The day you referred to you probably would have suffered just as much in shorts.

The club can make whatever rules they want, and as a guest I can decide whether it is worth it to play there if I find the rules particularly stupid.  Maybe if a club has a rule that first time visitors have to wear a propeller beanie maybe I say "screw it" and don't play.  Or if Friar's Head tells me that, maybe I put it on and say, "let's get the pictures you wish to blackmail me over with now so I won't be distracted on the course" :)

If shorts really do make that much difference, you should lobbying for courses to let you play shirtless or nude when its really hot out.  If shorts help you stay cool, no clothes at all should help even more.  Plus it would be easier to play out of water hazards.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2006, 08:27:20 AM »
I seem to remember that LACC requires women to wear skirts and not shorts and may require men to wear long pants. I'm not sure if this is current.
when I played LACC last month  I was told pants only

Dan Boerger

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2006, 08:56:50 AM »
Good for Cave's changing the rule. Muggy July days in Maryland coupled with long pants is the perfect medium for monkey butt! - Dan
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2006, 11:23:17 AM »
Just to illustrate the difference between east and west coast of the USA - a lot of clubs in metro-Portland, OR allow jeans from Thanksgiving till March.

It's just too cool, wet, and muddy out there to play in slacks in the winter.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2006, 11:56:28 AM »
Tim P:

I concur with the comments you offered on knee-length socks. I find them to be a silly situation because it thrwarts the very essence of why one wants to wear shorts.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2006, 12:04:59 PM »
I concur with the comments you offered on knee-length socks. I find them to be a silly situation because it thrwarts the very essence of why one wants to wear shorts.

Unless of course your reason for wearing shorts is to allow a little air exchange in your less well-ventilated anatomical confluences. Even with knee socks, short can still let a little breeze in (and more importantly a little moisture out).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back