News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stan Dodd

Pebble Raises Prices
« on: March 29, 2006, 10:53:44 AM »
The Pebble Beach Company annouced a price increase begining this Saturday.  Prices on all company courses will increase from 3% to 8%. A round at Pebble will now go for $450.  They compared the increases with other resorts like Bandon and Whistling Straits and found that the % increases were less than those comparable resorts.

Dave_Miller

Re:Pebble Raises Prices
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 11:04:43 AM »
The Pebble Beach Company annouced a price increase begining this Saturday.  Prices on all company courses will increase from 3% to 8%. A round at Pebble will now go for $450.  They compared the increases with other resorts like Bandon and Whistling Straits and found that the % increases were less than those comparable resorts.

Have Huckabee take you to Pacific Grove.  The views are about the same and the course is very, very good.
Fairways and Greens
Dave
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 11:32:54 AM by Dave_Miller »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 11:14:08 AM »
Huckabee (y) would love to take himself there!  Would that I had the power to transport others....

In any case you're right, put all three Bandon courses together, and in terms of a resort golf experience, it surpasses Pebble.  The sad thing is the prices at Bandon are creeping up to being close to Pebble also... But Pebble seems determined to keep that at bay!

TH

Dave_Miller

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 11:34:44 AM »
Huckabee (y) would love to take himself there!  Would that I had the power to transport others....

In any case you're right, put all three Bandon courses together, and in terms of a resort golf experience, it surpasses Pebble.  The sad thing is the prices at Bandon are creeping up to being close to Pebble also... But Pebble seems determined to keep that at bay!

TH

My bad  :'( A Freudian slip? ;))  I meant Pacific Grove. :D Correction made ;D ;)

Best
Dave

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 11:37:09 AM »
Dave - no hassles my friend.  But understand also that Stan LIVES in Pacific Grove - he'd be the one to host me!

It is one hell of a course - played there a month or so ago with Brian Sleeman and his lovely bride, as well as Dan King.  Every time I play the course I tend to fall in love with it all over again.  And at about 1/10 the price of Pebble, well... let's just say there's no way Pebble is 10 times the better course!

TH

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 11:49:57 AM »
About the only time I'd drop that kind of coin for one round (when you factor in the cost to stay at the Lodge it's much more) is for a charity outing.  I feel much better about where the money is going too.    

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 12:08:46 PM »
I'd gladly pay it if it was a private course and I was one of two hundred members....I bet we all would.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 12:52:32 PM »
I'd gladly pay it if it was a private course and I was one of two hundred members....I bet we all would.

Isn't that what the Japanese consortium that owned Pebble, prior to the current group, wanted to do. ;)

Best
Dave

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 12:57:39 PM »

Isn't that what the Japanese consortium that owned Pebble, prior to the current group, wanted to do. ;)

Best
Dave

Dave,

Yes, at a million a pop for a membership plus annual fees. I believe they thought of getting 1000 members who would have an allotted number of rounds per year. Emphaisis on Japanese members.

Bob

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 01:18:24 PM »
The amazing thing in the Pebble prices is that you pay $450 and they won't even throw in a cart with it. Goodness.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 01:28:37 PM »
The amazing thing in the Pebble prices is that you pay $450 and they won't even throw in a cart with it. Goodness.

Last time I was there they threw in the cart but not the caddie.  That was extra.  That was three years ago.
Dave

Sean Leary

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 02:36:34 PM »
to me, worth every penny...

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 03:41:21 PM »
PB is now three to five times more expensive than rounds at other world-class courses??

I do not get it.
No, I've never been.

But it is one heck of a tax to be able to say "Been there, done that".

As a comparison, i think you could get on any three or four Irish links for the same amount of jack, yes??

The part that blows me away is the apparently "mundane" set of holes mixed in with the 7th, 8th, 18th, etc. Short of Ballybunion Old, I can't think of a course that has so many bags to carry...

Mike Hoak

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 04:14:18 PM »
Don't forget that to secure a tee time more than 24 hours in advance you will need to stay at least two nights in Pebble Beach lodging for each round you plan to play at Pebble.  I'm going in August and the cheapest room on property we could find was a $540/night at Spanish Bay.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 04:31:46 PM »
PB is now three to five times more expensive than rounds at other world-class courses??

I do not get it.
No, I've never been.

But it is one heck of a tax to be able to say "Been there, done that".

As a comparison, i think you could get on any three or four Irish links for the same amount of jack, yes??

The part that blows me away is the apparently "mundane" set of holes mixed in with the 7th, 8th, 18th, etc. Short of Ballybunion Old, I can't think of a course that has so many bags to carry...

Don, If you have never been there, how on earth can you remark on mundane holes? Hearsay, ESP, opinons of others?

Bob

Mark_F

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 04:34:58 PM »
There isn't a course in Australia that comes close in cost to Pebble.

Australia has more good golfers than the USA.

Do the math. :)

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 05:26:42 PM »
Glad I played when it was "only" $350 plus caddie tip.  
Steve Pozaric

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 05:30:14 PM »
$450... :o

My guess would be that Pl. Dodd will spend much the same amount on a WEEK'S golf here next month...

;)
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Stan Dodd

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 05:45:48 PM »
Martin,
Thanks to the good folks at Panmure, we are paying way, way , way less than that and a couple of meals thrown in for good measure.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 05:59:26 PM »
How about Pinehurst#2 in this mix? It's a resort course like PB and you must stay there to play there.

Bethpage Black, even at the new non-resident rates, is a bargain if a tee time can be obtained.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2006, 06:12:16 PM »
Don't forget Harbour Town:

Harbour Town Golf Links
2006 Rates* 3/6 – 5/28 5/29 – 9/17 9/18 – 11/12 11/13 -2/4/07
18 Holes (AM) $230        $205        $230          $155              
              N/A            $175               N/A            $135
18 Holes (PM)

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2006, 06:15:36 PM »
Martin,
Thanks to the good folks at Panmure, we are paying way, way , way less than that and a couple of meals thrown in for good measure.

...no better reason for visiting these shores!

I'm so looking forward to Kingsbarns with you and those fine young golfers of yours.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2006, 06:27:51 PM »
I'm glad I wasn't paying when I visited, I had no idea it was that expensive.

also, the course is overrated, I enjoy RMGC much more and it's only $50-$80 as a members guest.

Also, when paying $450 for a round, I wouldn't want a cart.

PThomas

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2006, 07:50:44 PM »
I played it about 15 years ago when it was only $200

I loved it, and I'm not poor, but as much as I did love it and love great golf courses and golf history, I wouldn't pay full freight again...that's just too much damn money for 1 round of golf

199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Steve Lapper

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2006, 08:14:50 PM »
I'm glad I wasn't paying when I visited, I had no idea it was that expensive.

also, the course is overrated, I enjoy RMGC much more and it's only $50-$80 as a members guest.

Also, when paying $450 for a round, I wouldn't want a cart.

Second That!!!!! All of the above!

Amen!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back