News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Troy Alderson

Q's for GCA panel
« on: March 23, 2006, 07:22:02 PM »
To the GC Architects;

Suggestions for placement of tee signs around the tees?  We are purchasing new tee signs and I want the best placement for each.

Suggestions for Pro's ideas to place boulders around tees also?  Please do not tell me to tell him no, his is my boss.  They need to be away from possible ricocheting golf-balls.

Troy Alderson, GCS

cary lichtenstein

Re:Q's for GCA panel
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 07:31:17 PM »
On the ladies tees, place boulders directly in front of the teeing areas ;D

This will help you cut down on play, divots and make you a hero with the men.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Craig Sweet

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 07:49:00 PM »
Troy, we had concrete tee markers once and someone got nailed with a ricocheted ball.....no more concrete markers...

Our tee signs are now on a post that is the exact yardage as our white tees...(one tee closer than the tips, and the tee that gets played everyday)
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Troy Alderson

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 12:03:19 AM »
Craig,

Our new tee signs are cedar on a new post located at the white permanent marker, but most men play from the blue tees.  Any thoughts?  I do not believe the new tee signs will be a problem with that location unless you know a better place.

The boulders are a cosmetic addition as suggested by the PGA Pro to "dress things up", I do not like the idea and have expressed that.  He is my boss though and I will do as he asked, though other director at the resort have said not to place the boulders at the tees.  So, where is the best placement for the boulders?  Left side of the tee and behind the back tee?  Any thoughts?  The boulders will not be placed on the tee surface, just off as the golfers approach the next tee.

Troy

Ron Farris

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 08:11:05 AM »
It is sad to say but some courses have GPS systems on carts that show all the information a golfer needs, and more.  It has allowed courses to place signage (large natural rocks n the case of Red Rock) in places that are safe.  As for placement I, as the designer, simply offered advise on location.  Actual locations were determined by Super and owners.  This is for liability reason.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 08:33:44 AM »
Troy,

The least invasive, yet functional tee signs I've seen are imbeded in the ground.

They contain all the necessary info but are not intrusive to the eye.  They don't post a safety hazard and they don't clutter up the golf course.

If you'd like the Pro cured of this "insistance", have him post his concept of placing boulders on the tees and let this crowd have at him for a day.

Good luck

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 09:58:21 AM »
Pat has it right. Tee signs with the relevant information inbeded in the ground are the way to go. Boulders will not work forward of the back tee.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 10:03:42 AM »
Patrick/Tiger:

Congratulations on your new professions!  I knew you'd make your dreams come true some day.

Notice to whom this topic is addressed?

;D

As for moi, I'm neither an architect nor do I play one on TV.  But I think you guys are right about tee signs.

TH

ps - rather nice win last night, Tiger.  ;D

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 10:10:34 AM »
They'd be right if the guy didnt already mentioned that they already had the signs and they are cedar.

Are you suggesting they just waste the cedar signs?

Place them behind the back tee, in a spot where both walkers and riders will have a chance to see them.

I'm no archie, but sreiously, it doesnt take a genius to figure out the best place to put crap that doesnt belong.

As for the boulders, come-up with an estimate on the increased time cards you and your crew will need inorder to work around the boulders. Project it out until it reaches a million dollars and see if that doesnt shut up the pro/
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 10:13:00 AM by Adam Clayman »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 10:38:30 AM »
Tom, It was a great night to be an LSU Tiger. We played some serious D. I would have hated to be Riddicks boyfriend last night. He was not a happy camper. I bet he put the wood to the poor girl/guy. Unfortunately, we do not match up well against Texas. The Dukies will crawl back to Wall Street for another day of dreaming up and executing white collar crimes till next hoop season.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 10:40:43 AM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Andy Hughes

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 10:44:56 AM »
Unfortunately, we do not match up well against Texas

Or perhaps Tiger, Texas does not match up well with LSU? Those two terrific big men are hard to deal with, offensively AND defensively.   Either way, LSU saved my bracket last night and everyone has stopped chuckling at my LSU-to-the-Final-Four pick.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 10:50:30 AM »
Andy, I do like your thinking. The horn types in my world will have to bear up under a little verbal abuse today. The Texas tea sippers will have to get tough for the game on Saturday.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 11:04:03 AM »
Texas also better be ready to have some shots come back at them--your guys were terrific defending the hoop.

Now, how about some foul shooting practice before the game...
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 11:34:31 AM »
Get your Treasurer to see how much additional liability insurance your risk assessor says you would need for his concrete idea.

Has anyone noticed that most courses in Scotland have a colored piece of tin, about nine inches in diameter,  as tee markers that are nailed into the ground... and everyone knows what they are.

Bob

Jason Mandel

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 11:40:46 AM »
Tom, I would have hated to be Riddicks boyfriend last night. He was not a happy camper. I bet he put the wood to the poor girl/guy. Unfortunately, we do not match up well against Texas..

Tiger,
That is the winner of POST OF THE WEEK :D

There is nothing sweeter than seeing the tears out of Reddick and seeing Duke lose.  Seeing "Big Baby" get his own rebound with 30 seconds left was the capper.  If you notice, it was JJ that neglected to box out.

ps. is their a better nickname in basketball than big baby, it fits both for the lsu guy and reddick ;D

Jason
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 11:42:21 AM by Jason Mandel »
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 12:25:30 PM »
Jason, are you an UNC guy or just one of the large number of people who do not think players like Riddick are predestined to win National Championships. It seems some people thought Duke was going to walk it home. I found myself laughing at his pouting and tantrums as the game went on. The ACC has to many good players for a freshman to tie him in knots like that. Big Baby and Temple are really solid young men who will go far in life(outside of hoops). Temple's older brother is a 4.0 student and all around solid person at everything he does in life. I have known their Dad for 25 years and nothing less is expected of them.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006, 12:28:54 PM »
Tiger,

I'm a Maryland grad.  I think in terms of hatred for Duke, maryland out weighs UNC.  UNC/DUKE is more of a mutual respect, MD/DUKE is more of a mutual hatred ;)

Reddick was a good player, but let me tell you he isn't even the best player on that team, Williams is and williams will have a more successfull career than Reddick.

Reddick will end up where all great duke guards end up.  On the bench next to caoch K :)

Good luck against texas, lsu will become america's team if they win on sat.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

JohnH

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2006, 01:18:05 PM »
Troy,

Just for my clarification,  you are the Superintendent and the pro is your boss?

John

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2006, 01:24:13 PM »
Just to add to Tiger's thread jack:  Don't ever piss off Tiger!  He is an unforgiving opponent!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back