News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Thomson

Re:Pebble Raises Prices
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 09:03:39 PM »
Out of interest, what does a round at Pacific Dunes set you back?

I'm heading to the US next year and am considering heading there for a hit.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 09:06:42 PM »

This winter the replay rate was 40$...This initial rate wasn't all that much more considering the quality of the accomodations and food in the package price.  Either the room or the golf is free depending on how you want to play it...

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2006, 09:37:22 PM »
PB is now three to five times more expensive than rounds at other world-class courses??

I do not get it.
No, I've never been.

But it is one heck of a tax to be able to say "Been there, done that".

As a comparison, i think you could get on any three or four Irish links for the same amount of jack, yes??

The part that blows me away is the apparently "mundane" set of holes mixed in with the 7th, 8th, 18th, etc. Short of Ballybunion Old, I can't think of a course that has so many bags to carry...

Don, If you have never been there, how on earth can you remark on mundane holes? Hearsay, ESP, opinons of others?

Bob

Bob,
Good point in terms of never having experienced. The comments of others, verbal and written, journalist and average guy are what i'm working with.

I don't begrudge anyone who loves Pebble Beach - more power to you. Its just such a mixed bag that it's not risen to the level of want for me. One might think I'd be curious to break the tie, but my upbringing kicks in and the thoughts of spending $1k for a round (lodge, etc) don't settle gentle on my mind.

As a contrast, everyone (journalist and golfer) - to a person - said Ireland would be an incredible experience. They were right, even though i've gone 3 times to make sure! :)

That's the 2nd point. As another thread says, is there such a thing as too expensive (to you) regardless of quality? There's definitely a line in my mind.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 10:18:51 PM by Don Dinkmeyer »

PThomas

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2006, 09:40:26 PM »

Andrew  -- if at all possible go to Pacific Dunes!!!!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2006, 07:38:35 AM »
it will depend entirely on whether I'm accompanied by my wife and by then newborn baby, and of course the cost as well.

I certainly won't be returning to Pebble Beach

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2006, 09:50:56 AM »
Andrew - As JK says, Bandon can be done relatively cheaply, in winter.  It's a hell of a value then.  But you risk very cold rainy weather, and have not much light in the day.  This has been discussed MANY times in here.

In any case, go to here for green fees:

http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/green_fees.cfm

And here for room rates:

http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/rates.cfm

As you see, it's not Pebble Beach, but it's getting there.

I believe it is worth every penny - but I also believe in full disclosure.
 ;D

Norbert P

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2006, 12:01:56 AM »
 I played there last summer for free. I never swung a club but sat on the seawall taking pictures and eating bad food and watched plenty of hacks and foozlers chunk up the 18th fairway. It was worth the "17 Mile Drive" admission -- ($8 ?)

Pleble Beach doesn't have winter rates, does it?

Husum Hills rawks!  

"do-way-a nah-nay !  
 do way-a nahh-nee !
Sweet Honey in the Rock
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 12:05:37 AM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2006, 12:58:15 PM »
at $450 for 18, Pebble Beach is the last place in America that I am going to pay my own way at.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2006, 12:28:03 PM »
This thread really proves that there are two kinds of golf lovers -- those who believe that a great golf experience has no price tag (it's only money, and you're just going to spend it on something else, anyway) and those who can't forget about the dollar signs while they're on the course.

Of course, we will all assess the relative excellence of Pebble Beach in slightly different ways, but assuming we can all agree that it's a Top 50 golf course with Top 3 ambience, put me in the first category: I don't care how much they charge. If I can scrape it up, I'll pay it and fully enjoy it. I did it two years ago, and I'd love to do it again (and I'm a newspaper guy. I have no money.)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 12:28:46 PM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2006, 11:36:30 PM »
Rick,
I think you have a valid point, but in my mind it really comes down to whether or not I think I will enjoy myself. I have not played the great Pebble Beach, but for $450, I don't see myself having a magical experience. From what I have seen, I won't get 18 great golf holes. I am not in anyway guaranteed a perfectly conditioned golf course. I can't imagine getting around there in any decent amount of time. If given my choice for price and experience being factors, in my mind it would be the single worst golfing experience that I can think of.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 11:37:21 PM by Glenn Spencer »

tonyt

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2006, 01:10:03 AM »
This thread really proves that there are two kinds of golf lovers -- those who believe that a great golf experience has no price tag (it's only money, and you're just going to spend it on something else, anyway) and those who can't forget about the dollar signs while they're on the course.

Hmmm. I don't look at price tags, and I look upon each golf trip as an experience, not an expense. But don't belittle some or peg them in the second category for baulking at $450. That's over $A600 over here, and a lot more than what some very fine clubs charge for annual fees. No, I won't just spend it on something else. I don't just drop $A600 on absolutely anything.

I've never come across a course in this country fully open to the public or resort guests that has the nerve to go north of $100. Barnbougle Dunes, which gets raved about on here, costs $US55 per game.

If I'm heading to the US with a fistful of money, and a few spare weeks, I'm not foregoing a great experience if I miss Pebble. Because I'm having 2-3 other great experiences for the same coin!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 01:11:33 AM by Tony Titheridge »

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2006, 01:47:57 AM »
I've never come across a course in this country fully open to the public or resort guests that has the nerve to go north of $100. Barnbougle Dunes, which gets raved about on here, costs $US55 per game.
The Glades and Lakelands on the Gold Coast are now charging $160 AU a game and Hope Island and Brookwater's walk up rates are $130.

none of them are worth any more than $60 and even then only due to the lack of decent competition in the area to keep prices down as in Melbourne.

Cape Kidnappers and Kauri both charge $450NZ these days which is ludicrous, but they have the common sense to employ a 'local rate' to keep the punters happy.

tonyt

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2006, 04:27:32 AM »
The Glades and Lakelands on the Gold Coast are now charging $160 AU a game and Hope Island and Brookwater's walk up rates are $130.

none of them are worth any more than $60 and even then only due to the lack of decent competition in the area to keep prices down as in Melbourne.

Cape Kidnappers and Kauri both charge $450NZ these days which is ludicrous, but they have the common sense to employ a 'local rate' to keep the punters happy.

That's $A, which puts the two former at just a tick over $110, and the $130 rate translates to around $US90. And they are roughly around our nation's top end in pricing.

The point being, I think regardless of the fact that all true golfers and lovers of the game would love to play Pebble, the coin is such a stretch that many equally momentus occasions on other great courses among the best and most hallowed on the planet will cost a lot less, and so the "experience" doesn't have to be forfeited, just to disagree with anyone that tries to claim that not playing Pebble at these prices has to be categorised as a $$ thinking exercise ahead of a more uninhibited love of the game.

I just spent three days and two nights at Barnbougle, played for three days, ate at the resort twice a day, took caddies every day and went wine touring and bought a mixed dozen of boutique wines, ALL for less than the simple 18 hole rate at Pebble Beach.

I'd sooner go to Bandon than Pebble, and spend $2,000 over a few days getting a lot more experience, longevity and loads of fun and memories.

paul cowley

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2006, 07:26:51 AM »
....you know Tony, I'm thinking your last post makes great sense and this is coming from someone who played Pebble everyday for free as a greenskeeper and who truly appreciates its qualities when played day to day and not just once as a trophy course...which is the pity because of the obscene greens fee.....trying to see just how much the market can bear is not admirable to me.

Hopefully Bandon can resist the temptation to make money over all else and preserves its fine qualities.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 07:31:47 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

paul cowley

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2006, 08:28:33 AM »
Upon further reflection what I like best about Bandon is its youth and vitality in all areas.....something I remember about Pebble when I spent my time there in the early 70's.
Pebble reminds me more and more of some aging star with one too many makeovers but who can still command the winks and nods because of an enhanced reputation from the past.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Rick

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2006, 10:19:53 PM »
I've played Pebble Beach twice... in 1976 and 1979 when the green fee was under $50. On both occasions, I played Spyglass at half that amount and much prefered the latter course. Today, the relative price of both courses remain the same... Spyglass is half the cost. Two plays at Spyglass vs. one play at Pebble = four times the value (IMHO)!

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2006, 11:11:41 PM »
I think the increases in green fees now, represents a need due to mis-management. Versus the early years when RJ took advantage of the price elasticity.

Since the "Market" has recovered from the uncertainty created in Sept. 01' it's likely that corporate outongs are back, or will be, in full swing.

Emmy

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2006, 11:45:33 PM »

Of course, we will all assess the relative excellence of Pebble Beach in slightly different ways, but assuming we can all agree that it's a Top 50 golf course with Top 3 ambience, put me in the first category: I don't care how much they charge. If I can scrape it up, I'll pay it and fully enjoy it. I did it two years ago, and I'd love to do it again.

Rick:

Well said! You sum up my sentiments about playing Pebble.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back