News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Hole Locations
« on: March 21, 2006, 05:37:24 PM »
How many "great" hole locations does it take to make a green "great?" Can a green be considered great with just one or two stellar hole locations and a few ho-hum spots?

Are there any "great" greens with only so-so hole locations? How about so-so greens with some great hole locations?

What are the great "hole locations" in the game?

Back left on 16 at Augusta?
Front right on 13 at Augusta?
Back right on 16 at Sawgrass?

Jim_Kennedy

Re:Hole Locations
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 06:14:35 PM »
Kyle,
I don't think one or two "ho-hum" placements detract from a green, a mix makes for a more well rounded putting surface.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 08:11:30 PM »
One of the greatest hole locations I've ever seen in my life is the back left bowl on NGLA's #1.

Unfortunately, I hear they took it out or are about to.

Do you know who apparently made it?

Karl Olsen!!    

Who cares who made it---it was great----one of the best and hardest to get to I've ever seen both with the approach shot and also with a putt if you weren't in it.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 08:12:58 PM by TEPaul »

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 09:40:20 PM »
One of the older guys on the grounds club at the country club I worked at always talks about sticking a pin in the rough. I don’t know how that would have went over with the members.

Is it just me or do most courses have the pins in ridiculously hard positions? It seems like every time I play I get the USGA's Sunday pin placements.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 09:42:44 PM by Ryan Farrow »

David_Madison

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 10:23:47 PM »
Pebble #17 is considered to be a pretty special green, and doesn't it have effectively one great cup location?

Craig Sweet

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 10:27:01 PM »
As someone who "cuts" holes on a regular basis, I can tell you the MORE interesting hole locations on a green, the more highly I think of that green. The more subtle the better..... ;D
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 07:06:55 AM »
How many "great" hole locations does it take to make a green "great?" Can a green be considered great with just one or two stellar hole locations and a few ho-hum spots?

Are there any "great" greens with only so-so hole locations? How about so-so greens with some great hole locations?

What are the great "hole locations" in the game?

Back left on 16 at Augusta?
Front right on 13 at Augusta?
Back right on 16 at Sawgrass?

Kyle,

The 8th at Troon doesn't have much variety, and I would imagine that the 7th at Pebble Beach falls into the same category.

Small greens usually present their challenge in their size, surrounds, approach angles and distance, and not through variety in hole locations.

Any hole location behind "road hole bunkers" is exciting.

David Madison,

I believe # 17 at PB has a number of good to great hole locations depending upon the length of the hole that day.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 07:08:19 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 10:16:19 AM »
Pat,

Pebble was a course I thought fit one of my archetypes, and the 7th green came to mind, however I am not that familiar with the golf course to be know the nuances of some of the green.

I know the front of the 8th green is quite severe in regards to slope, and I'd imagine a hole location up front there would be really exacting on the approach.

I'd imagine any back left hole on 17 (the Tom Watson location, for example) would influence the shot from the tee as well.

David_Madison

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 08:08:00 PM »
Pat,

Do they ever cut the cup in the neck between the two pods on PB #17. If so, I'd certainly agree with your point. There are plenty of good locations on that green as I remember it, especially for a small green, but the one right behind the bunker dead center of the bigger left-hand area is the one that everyone seems to remember.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 08:37:44 PM »
David Madison,

I can't say where they cut the holes for each tournament, but certainly that location is available.

Don't forget, with the location of that green the wind is a factor as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back