News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

How does/should a scorecard depict a golf course?
« on: March 02, 2006, 09:51:53 PM »
I do not believe that enough care is taken in the design of some golf courses' scorecards.  I really liked the card at Palmetto GC, white background, logo and name of the club on the front, ardages and all the appropriate boxes inside.  No pictures.  No pictures necessary.

I think that any classy private club should have a similar kind of scorecard.  I mean, why does a club that relies on the play of those who are familiar with the course need pictures, or worse, hole diagrams on the scorecard?

Another thing I've noticed is that where most scorecards say 'Handicap' (of each hole) some say 'Strokes.'  Some that I remember are Shinnecock, Stanwich, and (I think) Pine Valley.  Am I correct in saying that 'strokes' is common in yonder British Isles?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 09:52:11 PM by Tim Gavrich »
Senior Writer, GolfPass

A_Clay_Man

Re:How does/should a scorecard depict a golf course?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 09:54:45 PM »
Everytime I don't see the original architects name prtinted on the SC, I am saddend by the lack of respect.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 10:04:02 PM »
Agreed on the classy, plain scorecards.  All of the best courses seem to go that route.  What's tricky is convincing your members that's the way to go when they expect what they've seen at your run-of-the-mill, high-dollar resort course: gloss, photos, and more gloss.

Give me a plain, 2-fold black-and-white with a small slit for the pencil anyday.  Sadly it seems many scorecard designers get confused as to whether they're producing a scorecard or a novelty yardage book.

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 10:09:17 PM »
PV scorecard is about as good-looking as the SC of the last of New Jersey muni's.

And maybe that's good.

Paul Carey

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 10:22:10 PM »
I agree on the simple cards but they have to have enough room to comfortably write down the scores and keep track of all the bets.  

Dunlop_White

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 10:40:56 PM »

Great topic, guys! The scorecard is part of the presentation.

As for the format, I like writing your name and scores all the way across the card horizontally....like the Ocean Forest card....prevents having to turn it over and/or around per 9.

As for the corners,  I like them square, instead of rounded, it has an older look.

As for the size, I like a small to medium size cards with "portrait" dimensions .... folding on the left side.......not "landscape" formats ....folding over at the top.

As for the paper, I like very thick 30 lb. card stock paper, perhaps coated -- on the exterior only.

As for the ink, I like it charcoil in color like Yeamans Hall.....else a very dark green, like Augusta.

Simple front with name, date, and architect.

Pencil slits are old timey.....shows you promote walking...a good thing.

Copperplate font looks very distinguished!

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 10:58:22 PM »
I too get really pissed off when the architect is forgotten. Is the golf professional more important? No, he was the one who ordered the cards.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 11:35:03 PM »
Bill:  Architects already get too much credit.  Our names really don't need to be on the scorecard.  If we do our work well enough, anyone who cares will certainly be motivated to find out who designed the course.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 11:38:37 PM »
So I guess there's a problem with ads for taverns, bowling alleys, etc?

Jesse Jones

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 03:28:30 AM »
How about the scorecards with two for one coupons on them  at the nearby tavern..
Classy..

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2006, 06:59:46 AM »
I'd maintain that if those coupons or advertisements are on a grizzled old muni or fairly low-end public course, they are part of the persona.  I think they add an indirect sort of charm to certain venues.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

redanman

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2006, 09:30:53 AM »
#1 Rough paper, not that glossy crap
#2 "Stymie Size" nothing worse than the modern "cart card"
#3 Hole number, 2 sets of yardage per card (two cards - forward two, back two)  Scorer and marker lines, line for "match"
#4 Very simple Cover, no photos
#5 Name of Archie and Super

Location of emergency phones and defibrillators.  ;)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2006, 10:41:46 AM »
Applebrook (PA) has a great scorecard.  Small, simple, pencil slits, and Gil's name along with the Super and PGA pro.

That's all that's needed.

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 12:31:17 PM »
Bill:  Architects already get too much credit.  Our names really don't need to be on the scorecard.  If we do our work well enough, anyone who cares will certainly be motivated to find out who designed the course.

And I think they shouldn't have to look farther than on the scorecard or a plaque on the first tee.

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 04:49:15 PM »
How about the scorecards we see in Scotland/UK that have room for your score, and that of two other players!?  No room for a fourth player.  

Tony Ristola

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 08:37:47 PM »
Adam, Bill:
I agree with you about the architect having his or their names on the scorecard. I'm all for people who do the work getting their due. It doesn't take up a whole bunch of space, and can be tastefully, even subtely done.

To me it's akin to an artist not signing his canvas, or an author throwing his book on the market without his or her name on it, and then expecting people to do the homeowrk to find out who wrote it.

I wouldn't be against the builder having their name on it either.

The pro and super? Sorry. They can change and then you're stuck with dated cards.

Tom:
Some people would go and ask. Not everyone will, so why not save people going through the trouble of asking by putting their name on the card?

The real architect's name(s)?

In summary:
Clean and simple; I'm never excited by the cards with 4-color ads on them. I understand the purpose, but usually can't remember who put the ad there. If possible I rip the extra paper off.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 08:48:34 PM »
Pine Valley's scorecard and yardage book would not make the cut with this group  ;)

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 10:07:41 PM »
How about the scorecards we see in Scotland/UK that have room for your score, and that of two other players!?  No room for a fourth player.  
Mitch
That would be because 4 ball stroke play is not golf in the UK. And not allowed at many courses.
The card. My 2 cents. Even less than usual. I have yet to play a course where the scorecard made me want to return, or not to. Simple is good, but where they have waterfalls on the course, it's hard to expect a minimalist card.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 10:15:24 PM »
Isn't Sand Hills just a simple single fold, black and white, with hole #, yardage, and par?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 10:17:42 PM »
Mitch
That would be because 4 ball stroke play is not golf in the UK. And not allowed at many courses.
The card. My 2 cents. Even less than usual. I have yet to play a course where the scorecard made me want to return, or not to. Simple is good, but where they have waterfalls on the course, it's hard to expect a minimalist card.

Good point, Lloyd

The scorecard should reflect the overall design of the place. A simple card often doesn't work for a resort course, and an flashy yardage guide doesn't reflect the same spirit of some of the older, private, or more traditional clubs.

There's no one-size-fits-all. That's the reason for the process of design in the first place.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back