News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Gawith

Barnbougle Dunes (pictures)
« on: January 20, 2006, 11:47:41 AM »
This course has been discussed a fair bit recently. Here are a few pictures to keep people interested!

1st - the round starts in the dunes

3rd

3rd approach - note pronounced ridge in fairway.

4th - if you carry the right bunker (c 230m) you can drive the green on 271m hole if conditions still.

4th Green (from pin-high on the right)

5th (201m off back)

6th

7th (112m off back)

8 approach

9 approach

12 (254m driveable par 4). 224m to carry (second) right bunker from back.

13(188m off back)

13 green (Sitwell Park)

13 green

16 (153m off back)

Mike_Sweeney

Re:Barnbougle Dunes (pictures)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 12:47:41 PM »
Philip,

Thanks for all these pictures. What an awesome trip!

tonyt

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 03:37:07 PM »
Eight more sleeps until 54 holes there :)

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 03:58:26 PM »
thanks Philip!

Mr. Doak sure does great bunker work..each day I hate more and more bland , round, featureless bunkers :P
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Bill Gayne

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 05:40:02 PM »
Great pics.

Without the benefit of seeing the rest of the hole, the fourth green reminded me of the fourth at Portrush which is a sensational golf hole.

I love the look of the 13th green.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 12:03:38 PM »
Thanks Mike - yes, I was a lucky boy! I reckoned best indulge myself while I could. I played about 14 courses in all and will post on all of them in due course; I reckoned that at least some people would like to look at some of them. :)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 08:07:10 PM »
Wher is my passport?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 11:27:58 AM »
Philip,
   I liked that picture of the ridge on #3, how does it factor into the hole? Drive, approach or both?
   What happens on #4 if you don't manage to drive it? Is that a boomerang green where you can putt around the corner?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 06:45:58 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 02:57:14 AM »
Ed,

The ridge on #3 will deflect the ball to the left side of the fairway, which leaves a more uphill approach, but more importantly a tougher angle into the narrow green - which ideally should be approached from the upper right hand side.

The left hand side of #4 green is a punchbowl which will funnel putts into that small area. Therefore, you can be a little more brash if your ball is at the front or back of the right hand side of the green, and use the backstop provided on either side to get the ball nearer to the hole. Had the pin being tucked there either day I played, I would not have known where to play!!

TK

Marc Haring

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 04:52:31 AM »
Thanks for the pictures Phillip. It is just the most inspirational course.

How tough is it? There looks like a lot of lost ball country out there but I assume you've got to be playing like the proverbial aerosol to get in it. Problem is, that's the way I play.

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 05:01:03 AM »
Philip,
   I liked that picture of the ridge on #3, how does it factor into the hole? Drive, approach or both?

Ed,

This is another view of the 3rd.

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 09:16:16 AM »
Philip,
   What happens on #4 if you don't manage to drive it? Is that a boomerang green where you can putt around the corner?

Ed - on the day I played No 3, I was more concerned about whether I could get to the green in 2 shots into a wind that was taking 60 yards off my best drives and about 100 yards off drives not hit perfectly.  I think the preferred line depends on the pin.

As to 4 green - I believe there is no boomerang.  The inside corner of the green is built up and the back left part of the green is up a rise.  

Here are a couple of pictures:

If the pin is back left, you need to be short or long of the bunker off the tee or play your 2nd to the right side of the green to ensure you have a chance to 2 putt.

ed_getka

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 02:26:58 PM »
Cool. Thanks for the photos guys. #3 looks like a nice little tester.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back