News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JNC Lyon

Williamsburg Golf--Suggestions
« on: March 14, 2006, 05:27:39 PM »
Are Royal New Kent and Stonehouse the best places to play in the area?  I checked out Golden Horseshoe, and the price was a bit steep, maybe I was mistaken.  I have heard good things about the Gold Course here.  Which of the two is better to play, RNK or Stonehouse?  any other ideas from the area???
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

JNC Lyon

Re:Williamsburg Golf--Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 05:47:26 PM »
anybody???

ChasLawler

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 05:50:39 PM »
RNK is better, but Stonehouse is worth a play if you're in the area.

Kiskiak is fun.

Personally I think the Gold course at the Golden Horseshoe is worth it...at least just once.

...also consider Mattaponi Springs north of Richmond and Riverfront in Portsmouth.

Jesse Jones

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 05:55:43 PM »
The Golden Horseshoe is a nice golf course..
It's long and tight..An awesome collection of Par 3's..
I'd play RNK before Stonehouse..
I'd take a pass on Ford's Colony..
Also check out Kingsmill..I like the River Course.
I've heard the Woods Course is nice too..
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 01:41:09 AM by Jesse Jones »

Bill Gayne

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 06:20:37 PM »
I would rather stay home than play Stonehouse.

Philip Spogard

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 06:43:54 PM »
I played the Golden Horseshoe a couple of years ago. Great condition and a really good layout on a hilly site. Beautiful trees and water features. They have a great executive course - the Spotswood I believe it is called - which is free to play when the greenfee for the GH course were paid.

I found it great value even a bit expensive, but would play it again if I had the chance.

Regards,

Philip

Philip Spogard

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 06:47:09 PM »
I have some pictures from the course but do not know how to insert them?

Phil

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 06:47:18 PM »
I didn't think Stonehouse was that bad, although I'm skipping it on my trip to Richmond next week. The front 9 is interesting. The back 9 gets off to a really bad start—it's about a mile drive in your cart just to get to the 10th tee, and then condos encroach on play for the next few holes. Still, the 17th is one of my favorite par 3s anywhere.

RNK is much, much better, but Stonehouse is probably worth seeing at least once.

One other note—I seem to remember a number of very shallow greens at Stonehouse, so you really need to be on top of your yardage there.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 07:18:12 PM »
In order of should plays:

I'd definitely play the Gold Course and the Golden Horseshoe (you can skip the Green Course there).  You can putt it off a bunch of greens there and there are a good number of speed slots that make driving the ball lots of fun, get a yardage book b/c there's a bunch of target golf.  The greens are the best in Williamsburg that I recall.  

Royal New Kent is very solid Strantz.  

I enjoyed Kiskiak;

I haven't seen it since it's been renovated but the River Course has some very solid holes.

Stonehouse has got some very good holes but has some topographical issues as I recall, but it's been a dogs age since I've played it.

There may be newer courses I don't know of but Williamsburg is a solid destination with at least 3 very good options.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 07:21:36 PM »
Is Riverfront worth the drive?? It looks like a neat drive through the Hampton Road Belt Tunnel.  I haven't played a Doak course, and I would love to see one, especially an older one for a good price.  Is the housing too much of a factor, or does the course still maintain its strategic integrity?

Frank Pasquale

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 12:18:24 PM »
I like the Woods course at Kingsmill just as much, if not more than the River course.  

I only played RNK once, and I remember it being very demanding on approach shots.  I felt like I had to be perfect... unless I was just visually intimidated    :o

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 01:32:14 PM »
Royal New Kent is excellent and a great value.
Stonehouse is very good but not quite RNK
The River Course at Kingsmill was recently renovated and it is a treat to play as long as you play the correct tees. I have not played the Woods, however the member I played with indicated that most members preferred the Woods over the River.
Mattaponi Springs is the hidden gem. It is a bit north of Williamsburg, but well worth the drive!
The Gold Course at Golden Horseshoe is outstanding. Unless you can get a combination/replay rate in conjuction with the Gold do not bother with the Green.

Be sure to call first to check aerification schedules if you plan to play in the spring!

Tom Zeni

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 03:44:01 PM »
I played Nicklaus' Williamsburg National a few years back. Had some good holes coupled with some average ones. The front and back nine were completely different in style. Worth a look.

http://www.wngc.com/

jg7236

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 03:52:25 PM »
I agree with Frank, Kingsmill.  I believe that is a Curtis Strange design.  I haven't played their since I was around 15 or so, but I can tell you I remember the course and I had a great time.

Tom Zeni

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 03:56:44 PM »
Curtis was the resident tourning pro at Kingsmill, and a consultant, but not the designers.

ChasLawler

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 05:00:15 PM »
I must admit I haven't played Kingsmill-River since the renovation last year, but it was a total snooze-fest about 3 years ago. The only reason the course gets any airtime is because it was a PGA tour stop.

JNC_Lyon - Riverfront has a couple of holes where the housing really does detract from the experience, but I'd argue it's worth the drive over anything but the Horsheshoe - Gold and RNK. Read Ran's profile under Courses by Country.

I will echo Jason's comments re the Green course at the Golden Horseshoe...containment mounding at its worst.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 05:10:58 PM »
I played RNK and Stonehouse and thought they were worthy...
I can't offer relative merit.

I stayed at and highly recommend the Jasmine Plantation - a bed and breakfast across the street (from RNK i think).
804-966-9836
Very reasonable and hospitable.
http://www.jasmineplantation.com/

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 08:00:37 PM »
I love royal new kent.  Dont miss it.

And dont get intimidated either!  Remember...the play on the two par-3s on the front is to the BACK of the green.  Its an optical illusion foprm the tee...there is plenty of room to the back.  Whatever you do avoid the bunkers on 1,3 and 5...they are murder!!!

Steve...you'd rather stay home than play stonehouse?  is that perhaps a buit strong?  There are some great green complexes there and the finish is great...

David Neveux

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 09:04:32 PM »
Just got back from a spring break trip.  We played RNK last and it is a really great course.  I would definitely see it if you can.  We walked the front which wasn't too bad, we did ride the back which in hind sight was a good thing.  There are a couple of really long streches between holes on the back.  Here are a few pictures I took.  

Number one from tee

Par 5 2nd; approach

Par 5 5th tee

Tee shot at the 9th

Par 3 3rd

Just short of 10 Green

Par 3 15th

Bill Gayne

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 10:09:18 PM »
Jay, maybe staying home was a bit harsh. But the last time I was invited out for free and to take an afternoon off work. I decided to stay at my desk. I have an aversion to 13 miles of cart paths, 5 1/2 hour rounds, long tee and green walks back to cart. A course that as was originally designed requires a lot of maintenance but due to multiple owners and continually sliding daily green fees has not been kept up. I actually found a dead dog that had rigamortus (sp?) set in laying in one of the bunkers. The 12th and 14th holes don't drain in front of the greens. I'll stop the complaining. I do agree though that 18th is a very good golf hole.

The great part about Riverfront are the greens and despite the overbuilding of the housing the greens are unchanged and really good.

Tim Bert

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 10:27:25 PM »
I've never played golf in Williamsburg, but I have visited colonial Williamsburg once, which is more than enough for my suggestion to be simply play as much golf as possible while in town!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back