News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Pitner

Bandon conditions in June
« on: March 13, 2006, 04:34:54 PM »
My group recently had to change our 2006 trip to Bandon from mid-August to mid-June.  I've been to Bandon three times previously, but each of those trips was in August or September.  What can we expect in June in the way of weather and playing conditions?  Unfortunately, during our last trip, in September, 2004, four of our six rounds were played in an absolute downpour.  I'd love to hear that it'll be warm and dry in June.

Also, I was wondering about the turf at Bandon Trails.  During my first trip out there (2001, I think), Pacific Dunes was still fairly new and I thought that the turf at Pacific wasn't quite as springy and linksy as that at Bandon Dunes.  It was for this reason that I initially preferred Bandon to Pacific (I've since done a 180 on that, while still enjoying Bandon).  Any similar issues at the Trails?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.  

Tom Huckaby

Re:Bandon conditions in June
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 04:41:37 PM »
Tim:

I was at Bandon in June 2005.  We played 6 full rounds over 3.5 days, plus a few screw-around extra holes, and got rained on for a total of 6 holes during one round.  The weather was pretty darn nice.  Of course this is the Oregon coast, so one does never know.  But I have to believe you just had bad luck in Sep. 2004 - so you're due for good luck this June.

As for turf, I didn't notice any appreciable difference among the three courses - it was all pretty great.

We do have some real Bandon experts in here though - several who work there, hell a few in charge of said turf.  So hopefully they will chime in.

;D

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 04:44:10 PM »
Tim,
   The weather should be relatively nice in June. I was there in June last year and we had a little drizzle opening morning at BT but otherwise it was comfortable and breezy.
    Course condition at BT was just fine, and I'm sure the greens will be even better after a year of maturing.
     Save your strength for afternoon golf as the courses were remarkably uncrowded last June in the afternoon. On one glorious evening at 5pm with 4 hours of light left there were only 3 of us on PD. Even if you are too tired to golf 18, the picture taking opportunities get pretty good in the evening. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 04:44:51 PM »
Having lived in Portland, OR for 9 years, I can tell you that June is a pretty rainy in Portland.

But the Southern Oregon coast may be a different story.

Here's a link to a NWS website where climatological records are kept for North Bend, OR - just to the north: http://www.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=mfr

Right now, they have precip in June set as equal chance of below/above normal precip:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 04:49:15 PM by Dan Herrmann »

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 04:54:15 PM »
Layers, layers, layers!  not real sure about Bandon but Summer doesn't start in Tacoma until July 4th.  Then little or no rain until October.

The coast is going to be sunny,cloudy, blustery and calm in June so you'd best prepare for all eventualities.  We can probably assure you that it won't be really cold.  High 50's or 60's could be a real possibility though.  

Bundle up when needed and have a great time!

Tim Pitner

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 06:16:55 PM »
Save your strength for afternoon golf as the courses were remarkably uncrowded last June in the afternoon. On one glorious evening at 5pm with 4 hours of light left there were only 3 of us on PD.

Ed, any particular reason why that was so?  I'm hoping it's not because it was ungodly windy.  I certainly expect wind in the afternoon, but I'd prefer to be able to stand up.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 06:21:46 PM »
Tim - I was there within a few days of Ed last year, and I can confirm that the courses (particularly Pacific) did get pretty uncrowded late in the day.  We discussed it last year - not sure WHY that happened, because the resort as a whole was fully-booked... I just guess that most people playing a 2nd round or other extra late round do so on the Bandon Dunes course, because it's right there adjacent to the Lodge/restaurant/bars/etc.

As Ed says, it is a great time to be on the course...

And in any case, at least last June, it wasn't because of weather.  Sure it does blow at Bandon -but good lord how can anyone go there expecting absolute calm?

TH

TH

Craig Sweet

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 06:31:56 PM »
I often head out to Mt. Hood for some snowboarding in June and I've found the weather is better from mid-June on and not so good early in June.

LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tim Pitner

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 06:41:43 PM »
Tim - I was there within a few days of Ed last year, and I can confirm that the courses (particularly Pacific) did get pretty uncrowded late in the day.  

Well, hot damn!  We have two afternoon rounds scheduled for the Trails, but our afternoon on the day we arrive is open--I guess we'll have to saunter over to Pacific first tee so I can snap-hook my drive into the trees like I always seem to do.  

Speaking of hooks, just once I'd like to not be in the left bunker on #2.  What a great hole, but it really sucks from there.  

Michael Dugger

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 08:10:48 PM »
Lifelong Oregonian here....

It could rain and be lame, but at least it will be fairly warm

If you get a nice stretch of sunshine, it will be about as good as it gets.  I can just imagine teeing off at Bandon Trails at about 9:00 AM on a sunny June morning.  

It really doesn't get any better than that.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

ed_getka

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 10:48:39 PM »
Tim,
   Save yourself some money and go have a great time at Sheep Ranch that first afternoon. It is the perfect way to stretch your legs after traveling to Bandon. Sheep Ranch is a version of golfing heaven if you haven't heard about it before.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 10:49:02 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tim Bert

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 11:05:41 PM »
Both times I've visited Bandon it has been in late June (2003 and 2005.)  I've played 12 full rounds there and 2 partial ones (the 54 holes days were a stretch the first time I visited, but I was better prepared for them the second time around!)  I think it has rained for approximately half of one hole the entire time I've been there.

The later in June you go, the less likely you will be to get rain.  If you look at average there, July is the driest month, I believe.  The last couple weeks of June are leading right into the driest part of the year.  It also works nice from a "# of hours the sun is shining per day" perspective.

Almost every day we've been there has been pretty formulaic.  The morning starts with overcast skies and leaves you wondering if it really will be sunny.  Temps in the high 40s or 50s.  Wind is fairly low.  By late morning, the clouds have blown away and the wind is kicking - 15 to 25 mph on the mild days and 30 to 40 mph on the extreme days.  The temperature hits a nice mid 60s.  The evening round starts to cool back down, and the wind begins to subside.  Dinner at 10:30, in bed by 12:00, and back up at 5:30 for the 6:30 tee time the following morning.

Enjoy!

Tim Pitner

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 11:37:05 PM »
Ed, interesting you should mention Sheep Ranch.  In fact, we are deciding between playing Sheep Ranch that first afternoon or playing one of the seaside courses instead.  I'll definitely keep your advice in mind.

Michael Robin

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 12:29:19 AM »
This will be the 5th year running of my group going up the first week of June, and the only rain so far was on opening day at Bandon Trails last year, and that was only on & off for the first 6 holes. I think June is great.
Usually some windy days mixed with some dead calm ones.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 08:10:33 AM »
June is fine, although the gorse will finally have gone out of bloom.  Daytime highs on the golf course 65 degrees -- I've never seen it above 75 there, even when it's 95 inland.

Tom H:  My perception from being there recently is that fewer people play 36 holes than in the first 2-3 years, so the courses are less busy in the afternoons [except for the staff and the caddies of course].  The original clientele was hard-core golfers, but now the resort attracts all types, not many of whom are up to walking 36 per day.  Also, word has gotten around that it's windier in the afternoon.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 08:10:54 AM by Tom_Doak »

Michael Hayes

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 10:12:39 AM »
Tim:  As to your turf question at BT....  The course is playing firmer than either of the other two now, mainly because Trails lacks the thatch layer that developes over time.  I tried to hit some pitch shots during my first round at BT and abbandoned the wedge for a putter in my next few go-rounds.  As the thatch developes the shortgame shotmaking will ease up some.

MH
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 10:12:51 AM »
TD - good call - that has to be it - there are WAY less hard-core golfers there than ever before, that's for sure.  We discussed this before... the "feel" of the place has most definitely changed.  And that would indeed explain uncrowded courses in the pm.

Tim - take the advice re Sheep Ranch - you won't regret it.  You'll have plenty of time to play the courses proper.

TH

Tim Pitner

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2006, 11:41:14 AM »
As to your turf question at BT....  The course is playing firmer than either of the other two now, mainly because Trails lacks the thatch layer that developes over time.
MH

Michael, could you (or someone else) further explain the "thatch layer"?  Is that what gives the turf that springy, spongy quality?  Maybe the absence of the thatch layer was what I was experiencing at Pacific Dunes in 2001.  

Michael Hayes

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 10:29:06 AM »
Tim...

Thatch is the layer of undecomposed and partially decomposed plant material ... Thatch is a tightly interwoven layer of living and dead tissue existing at the plant/soil interface.  Excessive thatch is not a good thing, hence aerification (thatch abatement).  Thatch is like beer, a little is good for you, alot and you get soft and mushy!
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 11:33:57 AM »
Michael;

You get points for that one.........beer and thatch!
You must be drinking just the right amount of Jubalale!

Tom
the pres

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back