News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Voytek Wilczak

Great new courses, but could they host the US Open?
« on: March 10, 2006, 10:24:56 PM »
I am referring to all the new US courses which are favorites here at GCA.com. Sand Hills, Bandon, Friars Head, etc, etc.

Which one would be the best fit to host the US Open, ie, would, with the right setup, present a fair and stiff test to the pros?

Which one would would you like to see as a future US Open venue, just for the fun of seeing the course on TV while it's giving the pros fits?

I vote for Sebonack, for the sheer fun of comparing the action and scenery to the neighboring Shinnecock.

Mark Arata

Re:Great new courses, but could they host the US Open?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 10:31:04 PM »
I personally would love to see them play Pacific Dunes or Bandon Trails.....it will never happen, but I would love to see it, especially if the wind was blowing.
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

CHrisB

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 10:33:16 PM »
Sounds like The Ocean Course at Kiawah and Victoria National would be difficult enough... The Ocean Course has a PGA coming so I guess we'll see how tough they can make it.

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 01:26:27 AM »
Not that it could ever host a US Open, but I would be interested in what scoring would be like at Sand Hills in a tournament.  My guess is that the tour pros would blister it absent a real stiff wind because of its lack of length, the par fives would be easily reachable and there are a number of short par fours.  

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 08:28:39 AM »
Fantasize all you want but I suspect a certain bean-counter needs demographics.

Although, if that were true Pinon HIlls could host. Funny how demographics work. Who out there would think that Wal-Mart's largest revenue generating store would be in Farmington, Nm.?

What's odd though... IS the one pro tourney in town is played at the CC.  ::)

Jfaspen

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 09:11:55 AM »
I hope the USGA continues to look at sites like Chicago Golf Club for the Walker Cup matches.  Even the US Am.  I'm not sure if CPC is interested... But I'd love to see the amateurs face the decision on 16 in a close match.

In these few tournaments when par doesn't matter.  Why not expand the rota of courses?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 09:43:11 PM »
Jeff:   They played the Walker Cup at Cypress Point a few years back -- 1981 I think, between Shinnecock (77) and Pine Valley (85).  It is THE most sought-after event among the old clubs because of the prestige, the small field and small galleries, and the lack of medal play so that no one belittles the course record.

Mr. Keiser said he'd like to have the Walker Cup at Bandon someday, but I reminded him of the reality above and suggested the Curtis Cup instead -- and they're having it this summer!  They're also having the Mid Am in 2007, which is the perfect tournament for a resort, because all of the competitors are potential return guests.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 10:41:27 PM »
Lets hope none of the courses you mentioned EVER want to hold a US Open. Why would they want that fiasco on the Sport's* most elite and sacred fields of joy?

*The USGA calls it a Game. I'll follow the lead of the true students of the art and call it a Sport.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 01:06:51 AM »
I agree with Tommy,

Leave the courses like Sand Hills, Pacific Dunes, Black Mesa, out of Open consideration. Since the pros hate Pete Dye designs, that makes them the best candidates in my mind. Wouldn't his courses "identify the greatest golfer"? Wouldn't Tiger with his higher spinning, more workable ball just eat up the rest of the field on Pete Dye designs? Kudos to the PGA for chosing such courses for their championships.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 08:54:01 PM »
How about Lost Canyons for the US Open, while saving Rustic Canyon for the rest of us.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Paul_Daley

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 02:42:30 AM »
Keep the US Open away from these new courses. People come in and start poking about; saying this; doing that. Open sesame; Open Doctor; Good night nurse!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back