GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Tilly on TOC...

<< < (6/9) > >>

T_MacWood:
Phil
I think you hit precisely on Tilly's message: superiority of American golf architecture. It was a common theme, there was a lot of soul searching in Britain as to why they were being dominated on the links and the design of American courses was often cited as a reason. When comparing the two countries American courses were considered more boldly or severely bunkered, requiring much more precision than the British school.

Ironic that Tilly would shortly embark on de-bunkering of American courses...from coast to coast.

Tiger_Bernhardt:
Was this Tilly's only commment on TOC?

Phil_the_Author:
Tiger,

Yes, he wrote about TOC & many of the old Scots he met there. I sent you a private message on this.

Sean_Tully:

--- Quote from: Tiger_Bernhardt on March 11, 2006, 10:40:32 AM ---Was this Tilly's only commment on TOC?

--- End quote ---

Tiger, refer to my post on the first page, it is an article from 1901. I have another article that he wrote as well that is even earlier, but I have not put it on my homepage. Take a look.

Tully

Jim Nugent:
I'm not sure that looking at the list of champions who won there says much about TOC's worth.  Year in, year out, the best players in the world play the British Open.  No surprise the winner is ususally a great player.  

If the top 90 or 100 players played the Greater Milwaukee Open each year, I bet that list of winners would look impressive too.  Wouldn't matter what course hosted the event.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version