GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Tilly on TOC...

<< < (5/9) > >>

Sean_Tully:
Here is the 1901 article that Tillie wrote it also includes some interesting pictures, my favorite is Tillie at the turn getting a ginger ale.

Interesting to note that his complaint for the course then was a well hit shot finding its way into a sand-pit. Fun stuff!

Tully

Tillie visits St. Andrews 1901

Jim Nugent:

--- Quote from: mike_beene on March 09, 2006, 11:39:31 PM ---Technology has helped TOC as a championship venue as 7,9,10,arguably 11,12,14,18 and 5 are in calm conditions half par holes.Makes it interesting.Really can't argue with the champions it has produced either.

--- End quote ---

What were those holes like when the course was shorter, but also players did not hit the ball as far?  Were they half pars then, too?

Jeff Fortson:
Take a look at the list of who has won the Open there.  That is why it is a championship golf course.

Jeff F.

BCrosby:
Philip -

Thanks for posting the longer quote.

The reason for my question was that Tillie in '34 sounded much like RTJ in the 60's. When selling his services, a big part of RTJ's pitch was that Golden Age courses were obsolete and not up to the modern game.

The pitch worked like a charm for RTJ.

I'll bet it would have worked for Tillie too, but for a minor problem called the Great Depression.

Bob

mike_beene:
I think there have been half pars there over time,but different holes perhaps.17 was once a true half par,I would say even in the Watson-Seve time frame.!8 ,7 and 10 havent been lengthened ,12 just happened,11 is a half par from 50 yards(6 and 1/2 I think)The other difference is the amount of carry distance.I don't see how you could play 7,9,10,12 as one shotters in Persimmon days,even if there was some length relationship.A lot of the new distance is at 2,14,and13.Actually the OB tees give a better angle to play away slightly from the wall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version