News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Muldoon

Re:Your Favourite Links and Three Chasers
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2006, 09:08:41 AM »
Sean,
this is such a hard question as I been lucky enough to have played nearly 40 links courses. However, unlike it seems a lot of people on here, I don't have the ability to really appreciate a course properly until I have played it at least 3 times and therefore I limited my choices to those courses.
The exception to this rule is Dornoch which I have only played twice and the second time the front nine was in foggy conditions. However I was blown away with the beauty of the place and how good the course was.
Rich Goodale is one lucky man.

redanman

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2006, 09:09:04 AM »
Does anyone consider either Pacific Dunes or Bandon Dunes to be a links?

I would think not.  Closest US links to date would be that part of Maidstone tha meets the criteria.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2006, 09:50:41 AM »
Rich,

South West coast of Victoria (Aust) $25AUD.  10-12 true links holes and a few on the farmland in from the very large dunes.  I would doubt there is better golf for the price than anywhere in the world.  

Yearly membership would be about 150-200GBP.

Port Fairy is an old fishing village and is at the end of the Great Ocean Road.  A very quaint village except at the height of summer when the tourists and new years revellers invade. Many Irish settled and farmed in the immediate area they have a very well patronised Folk Festival around Easter time.  Jack would be right at home I'm sure.

Has at least 4-5 very good holes and some great coastal views.  

Mike Clayton has done a little bit of work there.

P.S. I am neither a member or employed in promoting the club.   ;D

PPS  It's late and I just got the Brokeback reference.  tres drol.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 09:55:09 AM by Sean Walsh »

JSlonis

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2006, 09:50:46 AM »
Muirfield

Followed very closely by:

Royal Dornoch
TOC
North Berwick West

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2006, 09:57:11 AM »
As much as it plays like one, can one really call Sand Hills a "links"?  Yeah, I guest that land receded from the sea at one point, several millenia ago... but as much as I do firmly believe that is the greatest course on the planet, well I can't list it here.  One must have some strength in definitions.

The same would go for Pacific Dunes, Pebble Beach, NGLA, Shinnecock - none are links.  Do we really have any links in the USA?

So I'm going to be very boring with my #1 and go with Dornoch also.  Kinda tough to go wrong there.

As for my other three....

Castlerock GC (hey, you said favorite - hard to argue with the course at which my cousin is a member)

Ballybunion Old

Royal County Down

TH

John Goodman

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2006, 10:19:25 AM »
I'll go with:

Ballybunion Old, chased by
Dornoch
Royal St. George
Royal Portrush

If we were talking sheer fun, North Berwick, Crail and Cruden Bay would probably make the list.  

TOC is just not list-able for me; it's sort of in a category by itself.

mike_malone

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2006, 10:24:50 AM »
 Ballybunion

Chased by Royal County Down , Lahinch , Portmarnock
AKA Mayday

wsmorrison

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2006, 10:24:50 AM »
"The same would go for Pacific Dunes, Pebble Beach, NGLA, Shinnecock - none are links.  Do we really have any links in the USA?"

I was thinking the same thing, Tom.  Is Seminole a links course?  It sits among the dunes on land that I presume is links like.  Were Boca Raton North and South?  Maybe so.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2006, 10:33:52 AM »
The Old Course (for me, very hard to remove all the intangibles above and beyond the course itself)

Distantly chasing:
Dornoch
Turnberry
Prestwick

I wish I had a greater sampling to choose from  :(
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Brad Tufts

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2006, 11:09:54 AM »
Ballybunion Old

followed by:

Cruden Bay
Prestwick
Carne

I've played about 15 links, including the Old Course.  While TOC is beyond great, it doesn't have the visual fun of these 4.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2006, 11:57:39 AM »
1. Royal County Down - it's just such a marvellous meeting of links golf, superb mountain background and (on the one day in the year it isn't raining) the sun sparkling on Dundrum Bay, and I've been lucky enough to have played it a lot as a teenager, when it greatly influenced my golfing tastes.

My chasers are:

Royal West Norfolk for its old-fashioned course, salt marshes, wading birds and bearded reedlings.

St Enodoc for its tumbling dunes, its circumnavigation of the little church, its stone walls and holiday-makers pushing prams through the middle of the course.

Conwy - it's not the greatest links course in the world, but it's home to me and when I stand on the 7th tee I never fail to be uplifted by the mountains to my right, Conwy Estuary in front, Deganwy beyond, looking like a Breton fishing village, the hideous pile of the Great Orme at about 11 o'clock, the Irish Sea to the left, and Puffin Island and Anglesey completing the 360-degree vista.

I also have very fond memories of a game at Co Sligo when I was in my teens and my father and I were the only people on the course during an evening round, with the sun setting into the Atlantic in the West....

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2006, 12:05:06 PM »
Royal Dornoch for me

The three chasers are more difficult, partly because I've played probably 30 or more links courses over the last 20 years or so.  As I've got older (and a better golfer) I've appreciated the courses more than I did years ago.  I therefore find it difficult to judge say Ballybunion (which I played in 1988 or 1989) against Royal Aberdeen (which I played last September).  I'd probably go for:

Royal Aberdeen
Nairn
North Berwick West

having said that I'd probably change my mind if I replayed some of the courses I've played before but not in the last 5 or 10 years!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

ed_getka

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2006, 12:06:18 PM »
Sand Hills isn't a links per geology, and doesn't have dunes or rippled fairways. But it has all the attributes that make me happy to be a golfer. Inspiring land, firm and fast conditions with ground game in play, and a hint of a zephyr now and again, thus I included SH to my list.
   If I have to drop SH,  :'(then I go with Cruden Bay. 8)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2006, 12:23:16 PM »
Rare instance of me as the sourpuss.   ;D

But as much as Sand Hills is all of the things Ed says - and it definitely is such - well if we expand the definition that much, then we'd necessarily have to bring in NGLA, Shinnecock, Pebble Beach, likely MANY others.

And I don't want to have to change my answer.

But if we do so, well then it goes like this:

Sand Hills

Cypress Point, NGLA, Dornoch as the chasers.

;D

ed_getka

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2006, 12:33:27 PM »
Tom,
  Even with my loosened definition, Pebble Beach does NOT make the cut. Firm and fast? Ground game? I don't think soooo... :)
   Oh, I forgot to mention sand base in my earlier parameters.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

ForkaB

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2006, 12:35:59 PM »
Rich,

South West coast of Victoria (Aust) $25AUD.  10-12 true links holes and a few on the farmland in from the very large dunes.  I would doubt there is better golf for the price than anywhere in the world.  

Yearly membership would be about 150-200GBP.

Port Fairy is an old fishing village and is at the end of the Great Ocean Road.  A very quaint village except at the height of summer when the tourists and new years revellers invade. Many Irish settled and farmed in the immediate area they have a very well patronised Folk Festival around Easter time.  Jack would be right at home I'm sure.

Has at least 4-5 very good holes and some great coastal views.  

Mike Clayton has done a little bit of work there.

P.S. I am neither a member or employed in promoting the club.   ;D

PPS  It's late and I just got the Brokeback reference.  tres drol.

Sean

THANKS for the info.  I looked Port Fairy up on the web and it absolutely screams "Hidden Gem!" and "Fun!"  If and when I get to Victoria, Royal Melbourne will just have to wait!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 12:36:22 PM by Rich Goodale »

Richard Pennell

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2006, 12:40:50 PM »
1. Lahinch
3 chasers: Dunluce at Portrush (very close call)
Royal St Georges
Royal County Down

Can't wait to play more to make the choice tougher, have taken on Richard Muldoon and Sean's recommendations and promoted Royal Cinque Ports and Burnham & Berrow in this year's huge list of must plays.

A friend confirmed the itinerary for his stag do last night and I was very pleased to see Gullane 2 and 3 listed. Bonus!
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2006, 12:47:38 PM »
Tom,
  Even with my loosened definition, Pebble Beach does NOT make the cut. Firm and fast? Ground game? I don't think soooo... :)
   Oh, I forgot to mention sand base in my earlier parameters.

Ed - I'd say it does.  I've played it firm an fast several times - and its certainly that way for US Opens there.  One also most definitely can - and should - play the ground game there - approaches on 3,6,9,10, maybe 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, maybe 18.  And if you want to base it on golf joy and what makes one happy to be a golfer, then Pebble qualifies in spades.

Seriously, if you call Sand Hills a links, then Pebble gets it also.

Cypress too.  NGLA and Shinnecock FOR SURE.

That's why I wanted to tighten up the definition!

;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2006, 12:57:24 PM »
Sean - see that's just it, I don't WANT to have exceptions, for me or for anyone!

So if Ed wants that, then more power to him.

I am just crystal clear in my love and admiration for Sand Hills GC as a golf course.  It is my favorite on this planet, and it is the best on this planet.

It's just not a links, not how that is normally defined.  Change the word in your topic to "golf courses" and my answer would include it.  But if you ask for links, it's Dornoch.

Why does this matter?  I have absolutely no idea.

;D ;D ;D

ForkaB

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2006, 01:02:32 PM »
When Sand Hills was a links, I suspect that the main hazards were the velociraptors skulking in the tumbleweed......

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2006, 01:04:34 PM »
When Sand Hills was a links, I suspect that the main hazards were the velociraptors skulking in the tumbleweed......

That was rather my point as well!

;D ;D

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2006, 01:19:58 PM »
Fave Rave:
Machrihanish (for combination of routing, dunes, isolation).

Three little maids from school:
Kingsbarns (for 'design' interest),
Turnberry (for history and #s 16, 17, esp),
North Berwick (for being the most fun you can have whilst wearing spikes and a leather glove...outdoors, at least! ;))

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Keith Durrant

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2006, 04:21:19 PM »
I think what's noteworthy is that Muirfield has only got one mention thus far (given it's commonly rated the top links course anywhere).

Deal

Hoylake
L'Ancresse
Wallasey

Bill_McBride

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2006, 04:40:01 PM »
Keith, that makes me drool even more capaciously, thinking about the October GCA Buda Cup which will be contested over the links at Hoylake and Wallasey!  Thanks.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2006, 05:33:57 PM »
If I had to chose only one links course to play the rest of my life, it be be Royal Dornoch.   I think I could play it every day and find it playble through my 80's.

If I had to chose only one links course to play tomorrow, it would be Royal County Down.  I can't think of a better test of golf anywhere.

If I had to choose one links to play for the entire experience of commeraderie, course, and welcome, it would be Royal North Devon.  
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back