News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Sabino

Royal Birkdale
« on: June 03, 2006, 06:25:40 AM »
I just completed by annual pilgrimage to the British Isles and completely missed the boat on Royal Birkdale. I found the course un-insipring and lacking in character. I can see why the R & A likes it, because it sets up good for TV with the dunes and flat fairways. But good TV viewing and a good golf course are too different things.

I thought Birkdale is over-rated especially compared to Royal Liverpool which I think will shine during this years open. I found Hoylake had everything Birkdale is missing - a good routing, interesting greens complexes and good views. I especially liked the re-configured routing and think that 17 and 18 will make for a dramatic finish. The 3rd (former 1st) is one of the best holes in golf without bunkers.

I would put Birkdale on hold for 39 years and work Royal Liverpool in every decade going forward.

What did I miss at Birkdale?

Joe
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Carlyle Rood

Re:Royal Birkdale
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 01:39:53 PM »
It was my favorite course on my trip (that also included Sunningdale (Old), Royal Lytham & St. Annes, North Berwick, St. Andrews (New, Old), Carnoustie, and Royal Troon).

Funny that you would use the phrase "miss the boat."  The clubhouse is a modern interpretation of a boat at sea.

Hole 2

Hole 4

Hole 9

Hole 12

ForkaB

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 02:07:15 PM »
Joe

You missed one of the best courses in the world! :)  Like Muirfield, it's not a pure links and doesn't have the rough and ready old-fashionedfeel of Hoylake or Lytham, so a lot of people dismiss it, but golfing wise it is superb, as Caryle's pictures imply.  And of course, there's that art nouveau clubhouse.  Bummer.....

Rich

Mark_F

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 07:41:54 PM »
I'll join you in the pro Birkdale camp.  It is certainly among the ten best I have seen in England
Ciao
Sean

Sean:

West Sussex
Woodhall Spa
Sunningdale Old
Swinley Forest
Burnham and Berrow
Royal St George's
St George's Hill
Silloth on Solway
Walton Heath Old
Addington
Ganton
Lytham

No room for Birkdale amongst those 12.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 03:43:39 AM »
Rich

I'll join you in the pro Birkdale camp.  It is certainly among the ten best I have seen in England though it isn't in the class of Sandwich.

I bracket Birkdale within my Top3 in England - alongside Sunningdale (Old) and Royal St. George's  and just ahead of the likes of...

Woodhall Spa (Hotchkin)
Sunningdale (New)
Swinley Forest
Notts (Hollinwell)
Ganton
St. George's Hill
Royal Lytham & St. Annes
Royal Liverpool

Great opening hole...stunning P3's in #7 and #12....and it places a premium on accurate iron play. A strong finish and overall a great test of golf - pity they can't do something about the clubhouse  :-[

ForkaB

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 03:54:12 AM »
Kevin

I'm pretty much in agreement with you, although with a slightly different list of experience.

On a par with Sandwich.

Slightly better than:  Hoylake, Lytham, Deal, Rye

Better than:  Swinley, Littlestone, Westward Ho!

Almost as good as:  Painswick

Rich

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 03:59:46 AM »
Kevin

I'm pretty much in agreement with you, although with a slightly different list of experience.

On a par with Sandwich.

Slightly better than:  Hoylake, Lytham, Deal, Rye

Better than:  Swinley, Littlestone, Westward Ho!

Almost as good as:  Painswick

Rich

Rich

Ed has already advised me on Painswick - it's a pity I missed it when I was living in Bristol. When I am there next to visit family I will certainly have a game there  ;)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 01:34:51 PM »
Links courses may be some of the most difficult courses to compare.  Some are played ingiant dunes like Ballybunion, Birkdale, Royal St. George, Rye, St Enodoc, etc.  Some are clifftop like Pennard on land that may not always seem linksy.  Some have only a smattering of dunes like Royal St. Davids and some have next to nothing, like Liverpool and Westward Ho!
Some go over and around the dunes like Ballybunin and Royal County Down.  Some go through the valleys like Birkdale or Portrush.  Of all the courses they tend to be the most natural and the routing generally determines preference.  Personally I enjoy courses with the big dunes.  They generally require the most imagination.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back