News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Re:Mark Brown (Memorial Fund Update)
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2006, 10:23:16 AM »
I know Mark solely through his work, but perhaps no greater testament to the greatness of man exists.

That being the case, we've lost a great man.

Jason Topp

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2006, 11:35:31 AM »
I know how challenging depression can be to combat.  I found this post of Mark's to be poignant, in light of this recent news:

. . .

You see I'm not that good a writer and I hate doing PR
Over 50 and looking for my place in golf.

I know a little of everything, but it's better to know alot about one thing

I urge anyone who is struggling in life and finds their capacity to do things that they love diminished to seek help.  

Jay Flemma

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2006, 11:46:36 AM »
My thoughts and prayers are with Mark's family.  What a terrible loss for all of us.  

RJ_Daley

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2006, 12:31:01 PM »
I didn't see this post until today.  I hadn't met Mark nor did I know what his background was with "Links" and development. But, when I noticed his name start popping up on some posts that I thought were insightful, I IM'd him and asked who he was and say that he had contributed some very interesting comments.  He was nice enough to answer and tell me some of his experiences and projects and to look him up if I were to pass through his area.  It goes to show that GCA.com is like a small village where you make new friends based upon a mere encounter and exchange of pleasantries while stolling through the cyberpark.

Condolences to Cindy and their family and friends.

Perhaps when the Dixie Cup reconvenes, someone could obtain some modest golf accessory of Mark's and use it as a trophy to the prevailing side in the informal friendship matches that are played among that group...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 12:31:51 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2006, 12:56:11 PM »
Great stuff Dick.

I was actually planning on having everyone do a toast for Mark at KPV, where hopefully his spirit and zest for the sport and love of golf architecture will be felt.

Dick, you of course will be there to toast with us--no excuses. Even if it means I have to come to Wisconsin to get you!

JohnV

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2006, 01:58:40 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear about this as Mark seemed like a good person who wanted to try to help the game of golf with some interesting ideas.  My sympathies to his family.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2006, 03:06:52 PM »
http://www.jackfrostnational.com/

Mike Whitaker or Ran,

If and when it is appropriate, maybe you can contact Mark's partner Terry LaGree about an opening day tribute at Jack Frost National next fall. I used to ski there as a kid, and would certainly be interested to attend.

I just referred someone recently to http://prestwick12golf.com/ who was interested in taking an 18 hole course and reducing it to 12 with houses.

I wish his family well.

Brad Klein

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2006, 05:39:47 PM »
I hate having to write these obituaries, but they are important to do so that we can remember, whether it's Mike Strantz or Mark Brown. Mark was into the spirit of this long before there was a GCA or a golf Web site.

http://www.golfweek.com/294732705891492.php

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2006, 07:03:05 PM »
Brad - Thank you. I use to have two hour long telephone conversations with Mark about once every two months discussing how we would like to change the golfing world. I will forever miss those conversations.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2006, 09:38:04 PM »
I can't believe it. I'm so sorry to hear this.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 09:38:16 PM by Adam_Foster_Collins »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back