News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bennett

Tree Removal Pics - Case studies
« on: March 01, 2006, 07:08:36 AM »
I've been impressed by the posts of a number of contributors of before and after pictures involving tree removal.  Sometimes this has been done to improve the turf quality, sometimes to improve the line of play and some times to improve aesthetics.  Some times all 3.

From my limited experience, I have seen much achieved at courses through significant amounts of tree removal, significant change achieved by the selective removal of an odd tree and a freshening of the course by the removal of a few mere 'wallpaper' trees' (that middle story that just blocks everything out between the ground level and tree canopy.

I would like to start a range of case studies with two exhibits.  If you like this post, please consider adding your own exhibits and include some comment about the severity of tree removal required for the change.

My first post is a course that I haven't seen in over 30 years, but I saw a picture of the hole recently.  I barely recognised the hole.  I'm sure the turf quality has improved as the trees removed are to the north of the green (southern hemisphere remember, so north blocks sunlight).  The tree removal has been significant.

It is Yarra Yarra's 13th hole - a long par 4 with bunkers on the inside corner of the dogleg, approach bunkers on the left, greenside bunkers front lefyt and back right.  A classic 'strategy'; long par 4.  It was surrounded by cypress trees on all sides 30 years ago - not today by the looks of things.  The before photo is again from Tom Ramsey's 25 Great Australian Golf Courses.

25 to 30 years ago - Yarra Yarra 13th hole (from shot point on rhs)

Today - Yarra Yarra 13th hole (past shot point on lhs)

The second case study is in my next post.

James B
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 07:16:21 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

James Bennett

Re:Tree Removal Pics - Case studies
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 07:32:07 AM »
My second case study involves my home course at Blackwood (Adelaide) - a hills course with local 'stringy bark' gums, exotic pines and cypresses, and native wattles (mimosa) and small gum saplings. The first hole is about 410 yards, but plays uphill to a small, elevated and tiered green (low left, high right).  A tough opener.

The first photo is almost as the hole was before we started three months ago.  We did remove a limb of the first wattle that went out to the fairway, totally hiding the green from the view of the tee.  That limb was removed nearly two years ago, and by itself re-exposed half of the green to view!

The second photo is after we have removed two wattles and a few small saplings.  And lopped three upper limbs of the stringy bark gums on the right.  The bare areas are being prepared for fairway widening at this stage (to the right).  The small bushes behind the green are being progressively removed as well.

The third photo is of the hole after the greenside and approach bunkers have been rebuilt, and a fairway bunker added.  Completely different look.  As the architect Mike Clayton (and design associate Michael Cocking) are want to say

'the hazards in the air have been replaced by hazards on the ground'.

Average players can now play down the right, short of the bunker for one but a long second to the green.  Longer hitters need to play closer to the bunker to get the best line in.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays.

James B

Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Andy Hughes

Re:Tree Removal Pics - Case studies
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 09:43:33 AM »
James, interesting post.

I rarely think this, and I am likely to be scolded and sent to my room without my supper, but the Yarra Yarra hole looked better before the trees were removed  :(
The jungly forest behind and left of the green did not seem to have any impact on the play of the hole, though my understanding/perspective is based strictly on your two pics and could easily be wrong.  The turf may have benefitted, certainly not a benefit to be ignored, but what had been an attractive backdrop is now a view of some houses.  
What am I missing here?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back