News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Carey

Greg Norman on the changes at Augusta
« on: February 26, 2006, 11:04:22 PM »
Norman on the changes at Augusta in the March T&L Golf...boy is he going to get slammed here.  

More trees, rough and length are all good changes in Greg's view.

"Augusta Aims For Accuracy

By re-emphasizing precision, the changes engineered for this year's Masters have made the course even better"

On the changes at number 7:

"I feel this year's changes will bring out that kind of unique emphasis on precision. For example, on number seven, players will need to think a little more. The tee is back another forty yards and trees have been added to both sides of the fairway. Instead of hitting a three-wood and a pitching wedge, you have to hit driver then a short iron. It just makes you a bit more conscious about where to aim your drive. The changes, especially the added rough, compound the choices you have from the tee. Should you try to go all the way down the hill and have a relatively short shot, or play it safer and have a longer iron in? Pin position, more than anything, will dictate club choice from the tee."

I am having trouble with the link.  Go here and the article is inder the columns section halfway doen the page.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/tlgolf/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 11:11:50 PM by Paul Carey »

Chris Kane

Re:Greg Norman on the changes at Augusta
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 11:12:46 PM »
"Instead of hitting a three-wood and a pitching wedge, you have to hit driver then a short iron....Pin position, more than anything, will dictate club choice from the tee"

I'm a little confused by this - first he says players will have to hit driver, then he says there is a choice from the tee.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 11:28:54 PM »
Sandy Tatum had some interesting comments with respect to CPC retaining its near original yardage and not yielding to the tech yardage race even thought CPC could extend itself.

But, CPC doesn't host a Major every year, ANGC does.

You can't fault a club for trying to retain the approach values and at the same time condemn them for lengthening the golf course.

It's an unfortunate situation that was created by forces far removed from Augusta, Georgia.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 07:14:58 AM »
From the perspective of a player like Greg Norman, the changes ARE for the better.  He was a long, straight driver and he likes to see that rewarded.

Plus he may still be fishing for an invitation!

Eric_Dorsey

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 10:53:40 AM »
From the perspective of a player like Greg Norman, the changes ARE for the better.  He was a long, straight driver and he likes to see that rewarded.

Plus he may still be fishing for an invitation!

very well said Tom.  

I don't think we give Mr. Norman enough credit on this board.  Norman is incredibly sharp minded, and if you read the biography on his life 'Shark', is a very inspirational man.  He may not be liked by all because of his ostentatious or boastful flare, but you have admit he's one of the most driven and determined men I've ever read about.  I would only dream what a day in his life is like.

I'm sure the archie experts can tear apart his courses, but it seems no one is liked by all.  I doubt if few know ANGC like he does, And know how to play it WELL.  Some of the guys may think they know ANGC, but do they really know how to play ANGC "WELL".

I think it's only a matter of a few short years before he is asked to redo a course for a major championship.  His record of 2 majors should read atleast 6 ('96 Masters, '84 US Open-Winged Foot, '95 US Open-Shinnecock, '93 PGA-Inverness) in my book, if it weren't for his really only weakness of losing his edge on the outward 9.  :-\    This would of put him in some very impressive company.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 10:56:49 AM by Eric_Dorsey »

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 12:46:16 AM »
His comments are based on his skill as an architect, after playing his courses at PGA west and at Tiburon in Naples, I wouldn't take his comments on architecture too seriously.

Greg if you have a spot open in your foursome I would like that invitation, though.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 09:45:51 AM »
His comments are based on his skill as an architect, after playing his courses at PGA west and at Tiburon in Naples, I wouldn't take his comments on architecture too seriously.

I would say that Norman's skill as an architect tracks with his form as player. Brilliant one moment, off his game the next.

Hits: Moonah Course, Ellerston, Medallist in Hobe Sound.
Misses: Quite a few on top of those already mentioned. A course he did in the Hunter Valley north of Sydney (The Vintage?) was probably the worst course I have ever played in five years.

On the other hand, I would be surprised if his new course on Philip Island doesn't end up being something good... it's absolutely stunning site. Similar to Kauri Cliffs and mostly a great deal more windy.
Next!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 01:05:46 PM »

I would say that Norman's skill as an architect tracks with his form as player. Brilliant one moment, off his game the next.

Misses: Quite a few on top of those already mentioned. A course he did in the Hunter Valley north of Sydney (The Vintage?) was probably the worst course I have ever played in five years.

On the other hand, I would be surprised if his new course on Philip Island doesn't end up being something good... it's absolutely stunning site. Similar to Kauri Cliffs and mostly a great deal more windy.

Did Greg really have much a hand in designing any of those courses?  I've heard he is mostly a figurehead.  

Matt MacIver

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 01:32:37 PM »
Norman's The Point in North Carolina didn't really impress me, although it's clear the primary focus was to sell houses so the routing was none too good.  

However, what I think he (or his employees) could have made well in terms of landing areas, 2nd shots and green complexes were also uninspired.  
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 01:33:23 PM by Matt MacIver »

Anthony Butler

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 03:02:29 PM »

Did Greg really have much a hand in designing any of those courses?  I've heard he is mostly a figurehead.  

His main guy in Australia is a guy called Bob Harrison... he's either an exceedingly modest man or Norman is more involved in the routing and the green sites of his courses than you give him credit for. Harrison handles it from that point on-he's actually a better guy to deal with on a day-to-day basis than the Shark, whose "take charge" personality would wear on most people during the construction of a golf course.  The thought of getting Norman involved to sell some real-estate doesn't factor into a club like the National. There is barely a house within five miles of the course. Apparently the value of their membership shares have gone up considerably since the two new courses down there have opened... but in the greater scheme of how much the founders of that club are worth, it's unlikely they got Norman involved simply for that reason.
Next!

rgkeller

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 04:48:00 PM »
If Medalist is a hit, I would hate to play a miss.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back