News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Daughters

Re:Scotland Itinerary
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2006, 01:50:49 PM »

Jason,

Cruden Bay to Brora/Dornoch is a pretty good haul.  I assume you'll be driving at night.. be careful.. the road from Lossiemouth to Inverness is notoriously dangerous.  By then, of course, you'll be an ace at negotiating roundabouts. ;D

As long as you're up there try to squeeze in Tain or Golspie on the day you play RDGC.
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Brian Phillips

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2006, 01:51:46 PM »
Told you he talks a lot.

FBD,

You will be seeing a lot of from May.  An old 'squaddie' has just got digs at Luchars... ;D

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Jason Shanks

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2006, 01:53:13 PM »
FBD,

Thanks for the kind offer...we might just take you up on that.

-Jason

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2006, 02:08:12 PM »
Jason,
FYI, John Shanks was the pro at Silloth.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2006, 06:42:16 PM »
Jason of course you realise that in Scotland it is de rigueur to go round the courses on 'Shank's Pony'. ;)

A far more pleasant image than the old cockney Rhyming Slang one.
 ::)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean Walsh

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2006, 08:44:21 PM »
Jason,

Which airport are you flying in to?

I would have thought if you want to keep tha same courses your itinerary would go in the following order

Nth Berwick
St A Area
Aberdeen Area
Dornoch Area.

Would at least cut down some of the driving.

Matt,

If you are going to be in St Andrews in May 2007 drop me a line closer to the time.  As my plans rest at this point I'll be in the area and would be happy to catch up.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2006, 07:57:06 AM »
Re: booking on TOC (and maybe you all knew this but I just found out)...St. Andrews Trust ONLY accepts applications on or after the first Wednesday each Sept., for the following year.  So there's no reason to get them in BEFORE Sept. 6th....in fact, they won't accept them.  

So it looks like I've been planning my 2007 trip about six months early... :) :o :(

ForkaB

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2006, 08:40:53 AM »

At that point, my ancestors were in Scotland.

Jason,
you will have the utmost pleasure of seeing your illustrious surname on many occasions during your visit. A venerable old Scottish firm indeed, whose name is on practically every old piece of 'vitreous china' in the land. (Think 'Kohler' and you won't be far away). ;D

Martin

I of course thought the same thing.  I remember one of my golfing buddies from the States standing over a urinal in Killiecrankie in 1981 saying:

"I want to marry Betsy Shanks"

Whoever made the "Flush" for "Shanks" substitution above, either great creativity or incredible serendipity!

Jason

Vis a vis pubs/hotels, etc.  Let us know what you are looking for, and maybe we can make suggestions.

Jason Shanks

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2006, 11:41:06 AM »
Rich,

Our group is the type that would prefer to hang out in smaller pubs frequented more by locals than tourists.  As far as food, anything suggestions for spots that are both good and a good value.  Also, we are not adverse to driving a bit if necessary (i.e. driving to the chip shop in Anstruther comes to mind).  

And, so everyone has a better understanding of our trip, we are renting a house in St. Andrews and will be there for 4 nights (ended up being more affordable than a B&B, hotel or Inn).  We will be in Aberdeen one night, and Dornoch one night.  I know it is a lot of driving, but I didn't want to miss Royal Dornoch and TOC.

Thanks,

Jason

Robert Thompson

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2006, 11:51:01 AM »
Jason: For what it is worth, my group did 36 holes a day and covered Turnberry to St. Andrews to Cruden Bay to Dornoch and back in a week. It was tiring and worthwhile. Don't let anyone scare you off the driving. It is only a couple of hours each day and if there is a couple of you, it is easily split up.

Enjoy.

Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Jason Shanks

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2006, 11:53:29 AM »
Thanks, Robert.  That is what I like to hear.  Plus, I am a bit of a roadtripper myself, even on vacation.

-Jason

ForkaB

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2006, 12:31:07 PM »
Jason

Good choice to take Robert's advice and make it a road trip!  Drive carefully (all the locals think they are Jackie Stewart or Jimmy Clark).

As for places to hang out.  Trendy places in St. Andrews are Ma Bell's (best for posh English tottie), Broons and East Port.  If you can afford it, have dinner in the Road Hole Grill at the Old Course Hotel--best food and best view in town.  If you can't afford it, have a drink or two there before sunset just to savour the view.  Others here will strongly disagree, but I'd avoid the Dunvegan.  Half the clientele are Americans looking for a friendly face and the other half are drunken caddies looking for Americans who will buy them free drinks and give them big tips the next day.

In Dornoch, try the Burghfield House hotel at about 10:45.  If it's quiet, go back into town.  If it's heaving, you'll not regret the visit.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2006, 12:44:14 PM »
Jason - listen to Rich and take his words as gospel here.  A better authority does not exist.

As for this:

Others here will strongly disagree, but I'd avoid the Dunvegan.  Half the clientele are Americans looking for a friendly face and the other half are drunken caddies looking for Americans who will buy them free drinks and give them big tips the next day.

In truth, I'd agree.  My group stayed there - which I would recommend because in so doing, we were treated very warmly by the proprietors there, who had a hand in getting us our times at TOC - but in terms of drinking spots, well.... for us we'd begin and end there, which was cool, but Rich is ABSOLUTELY spot on about the clientele, which was a big reason we ventured elsewhere.  And I'm glad we did.  I just wish I could now remember the names of the other places we went... I think it's a fine testimony that I can't and couldn't even that very next day, if you think about it.    ;D

ed_getka

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2006, 10:29:47 PM »
Jason,
   I don't remember how far apart Aberdeen and Cruden Bay are, but Royal Aberdeen and Murcar are right next to each other and might make a better combo.
   If I had to choose between RA/Murcar and Cruden Bay, it is not even close. Cruden Bay in a landslide. The best view while you eat lunch is at Cruden Bay.
   Good call regarding Dornoch, it was my favorite course in Scotland on my trip over. North Berwick is great for the golfing soul, if you like quirk. Every hole there is not great, but there are so many funky/cool holes that I would plan on spending the day there if that is an option.
    BTW, David Tepper has a place about a par 4 away from Dornoch that he rents out.
    Have a great trip.
    One other thing, just in case you didn't know about it. Since you are spending 4 days in St Andrews, they have a ticket you can buy for unlimited play on all the courses other than TOC, that I remember seeming like a bargain when I heard about it.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back