News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Buczkowski

Highlands Reserve - something different in Orlando
« on: January 31, 2005, 11:22:21 PM »
After the recently published IMO piece by Mike Sweeney regarding Mountain Lake, a central FL course, I decided to ride the momentum and present another course in the area - Highlands Reserve.  The course probably won't appear in any magazines or rater's lists; not to pick on Matt Ward but one look at the CR and SR will turn him off.  That said, there are many reasons why players and architecture fans will enjoy the course.  First, the course occupies terrain usually reserved for the Ocala region of Florida, with an elevation change of roughly 120 feet from the top to the bottom of the property.  Second, the greens are wonderfully undulating kept at a reasonable pace of 9 on the stimp.  Third, the course encourages walking (or at least does not discourage it :)), and it is a wonderful stroll on sandy terrain.  There are other reasons to like it as well:  the course has the Huckaby ideal of a (relatively) high CR/low slope, there is only a single pond out of play, and it is affordable.  

The first green gives a sign of the challenge ahead

If you aren't interested yet, note that HR was once the scene of an epic match between FBD and Mike Sweeney. ;)

The architect, Mike Dasher, built a course that is playable for all skill levels.  He achieved this feat by not focusing on length (the back tee tops out at a very playable 6649 yards), but on short game and proper placement of shots.  The club cuts the grass throughout the course to have minimal rough and the course is often firm and fast.  This combined with highly undulating greens yields a slope rating that is nearly the same from the middle tees as from the back tees – 72.1, 118 vs. 68.8, 115.  It can be visually appealing as well, there are many wide open sandy waste areas throughout the course.  In particular, holes like 2 & 10 would be world class if the surroundings were more scenic.

The waste area off the 7th tee

While the course is in a housing community, I think its design should be copied more often for residential courses.  There are no single holes with housing on both sides.  Usually, the holes are in pairs so there is always plenty of room to hit the ball.  While it can be done, in my half dozen rounds there I haven't seen anybody hit a ball into a resident's yard.

On to Holes of Note (all yardages from the back tees):

Hole 2 – Par 4, 398 yds

The tee is set at the highest point on the course.  The fairway sweeps from right to left down the hill, with a sandy waste area left of the fairway for those that overhook the tee shot.  From there, the player approaches the most undulating green on the course.  The back left position is especially difficult to get at.  The very undulating green, sloping some 6 feet from back to front, requires different shots to get the ball close depending on pin position.  Overall a very fun hole that sets the tone for the round.

The view from the 2nd tee

The approach to the 2nd.  Note the severe undulations in the green, visible from 140 yards out

Hole 5 – Par 4, 413 yards

This hole sweeps gracefully from right to left, with a semi-blind tee shot from the back tee.  The plateaued green sits above a natural dip, forcing an aerial shot for the first time of the day.  Again, the green provides a lot of interest and is the key to the hole.  The green is very shallow with a saddle shape.  In the picture below the pin is just left of the oak tree in front of the green.  Without the housing, the hole would have a nice skyline green that would enhance it even more.

The approach to the 5th

Hole 6 – Par 3, 225 yards

The longest par 3 on the course.  The green is very large, accommodating a long iron of fairway wood.  If the player is not careful its very easy to hit into the long waste area down the right hand side, causing a long bunker shot.

Hole 8 – Par 5, 508 yards

A great risk/reward par 5.  Off the tee the bunkers on the right must be challenged to reach the green in two.  On the second, there is an intimidating waste area that must be safely negotiated in order to have a birdie or eagle opportunity.  This hole, coupled with the ninth, form a back-to-back set of par 5s where at least one will be reachable, depending on the wind.

The approach to the 8th

Pete Buczkowski

Re:Highlands Reserve - something different in Orlando
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 11:29:37 PM »
Hole 10 – Par 4, 417 yards

The author’s favorite hole on the course.  The only pond on the course is adjacent to the tee, which can offer a glimpse at a gator.  The tee shot can be shaped in either direction, but the player must be mindful of the tree on the left.  From there, the approach is splendid – the green has three distinct levels with a spine running through the middle of the green.  The front left portion is the lowest; great for a draw.  The back is the highest, requiring a low running shot to hold that level of the green due to the slopes.  

The 10th tee shot

The wonderful approach to the 10th

Hole 11 – Par 4, 307 yards

Following two par 5’s and a stout par 4, the 11th comes as a small breather.  However, this hole can produce a double as easily as a birdie.  The green is reachable, but the ground slopes will require a perfectly placed tee shot.  The strategic tree on the left side of the fairway requires the player to think about a layup – almost begging the player to attack the green.  Also, the green slopes severely from left to right, punishing the player who plays safely to the left with a semi-blind approach that can’t access a left pin location.  A waste area short right of the green further punishes the aggressive player who comes up short with a long bunker shot.

To go or layup? – the 11th tee.  A sharp eye can spot the pin above the left edge of the bunker [/i]

Hole 16 – Par 4, 384 yards

An interesting tee shot that favors a left to right shape, left gives the best view and angle of the green but significantly lengthens the hole.  The green is a very narrow Biarritz green, with falloffs to both sides.  An interesting final par 4 to say the least.

The course isn’t without its warts, the housing does interfere with the visuals and the holes 13-15 can be a bit monotonous.  However, I often prefer to play here as opposed to the glitzy resort courses of the area.  I encourage fellow GCAers to give it a try if in the area.

Regards,
Pete

THuckaby2

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 09:20:53 AM »
Fantastic stuff, Pete!  This ought to be saved as an In My Opinion or My Home Course sorta thing... it's really well done.

And I just do wonder why this "ideal" isn't tried for more often.  It just seems so basically logical that high CR and low slope means fun for everyone; that is, challenge the scratch, give the bogey a fighting chance.  Or maybe it's just too tough to pull off?  This course seems to do it very well...

TH

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 09:52:18 AM »
Well done, Pete. Some good memory joggers there!

Looking at HR, it gets me to thinking again that, what with all the sand that there is about an inch below the surface over most of Florida, why has no-one yet tried a Kingsbarns-type approach and created - albeit, a fake one - a 'Scottish Links' there?

I'm convinced it would be a relatively easy job and a real 'attraction' for visiting golfers. It could almost be done at one or two places I've been in Florida, simply by turning off the goddamn sprinklers occasionally!!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 10:40:41 AM »
FBD,

There actually is a fake 'Scottish Links' in the area - its St. Cloud Golf Club.  I think it would work pretty well if they took your suggestion and turned off the sprinklers.  Unfortunately the tourists balk at brown grass, and the summer storms do keep it pretty lush.  Still a fun course that you should check out next time you are in the area.

I see what you mean about not quite seeing the green contours in the pictures.  Here are the 2nd and 10th greens from a closer perspective which illustrate them a bit better:

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 11:07:07 AM »
Only in Orlando....from the Club website:

"St Cloud Golf Club - Rated in TOP 5 MOST UNDERRATED COURSES in Orlando".

Just gotta luv that Spirit!! I WILL definitely be playing here the next time I'm in O-town. ;D

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mike_Sweeney

Mike Sweeney

Re: Highlands Reserve - something different in Orlando
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 08:26:55 PM »
Highlands Reserve is now ranked #1 in Orlando by 13 year old Dylan Sweeney ahead of:

Mountain Lake - Raynor/Silva
Sugarloaf Mountain - C&C
Disney Osprey Ridge - Fazio

$44 in prime season to play in the afternoon;
Course is in great condition; firm, fast and a little brown;
Sits on the sand based Lake Wales Ridge;
Small clubhouse - gatorade, beer and a sandwich kind of place;
You can walk, you can ride.

Okay he had a record round, but where is the Highlands Reserve love in the new economy? Has to be the best value in Orlando.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 08:40:01 PM »
Excellent
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 08:44:33 PM by Mike McGuire »

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 12:08:41 AM »
It was always the first place we played when on a golf trip to Orlando.  Some fun shots out there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back