News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Sweet

Re:The aloofness of golf......
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2006, 02:53:48 PM »
"It is rare that a fellow like Scott Anderson of HVCC has the type of committee backing, and the independent spirit of trusting his knowledge to develop a program of turf management that flies in the face of much of the conventional wisdom, industry and academia experts."

"Conventional wisdom" often flies in the face of common sense and in this case natural systems.  I have met some people that are in the business of genetically altering plants (barley, wheat, and turf) who are absolutely convinced that they are "producing" a superior product than what has existed in a natural state for thousands of years.

Its unfortuate but "conventional wisdom", in this case, has taken on a life of it own, and it promotes, supports, and expects our attention, and our money. Just ask the turf people and they'll go on and on about genetically altered turf and better chemicals.  

Every step down the path of "conventional wisdom" cost more and more money, not less. Every step down that path takes us farther and farther from sustainable golf course management, and in my opinion, closer to a total disastor.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Jerry Lemons

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2006, 03:43:25 PM »
Right you are Mr. Lemons....if you want "more" you generally pay more.

Yes  and you agree?

Every step down the path of "conventional wisdom" cost more and more money, not less. Every step down that path takes us farther and farther from sustainable golf course management, and in my opinion, closer to a total disastor.

Does this mean those that want more are the ones responsible for the future disaster?
 Are you agreeing to spend less or more?

« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 03:43:57 PM by Jerry Lemons »
Times flys and your the pilot !

Craig Sweet

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2006, 04:07:30 PM »
Mr. Lemon,

Money can buy you a lot of course management.  But it isn't how much you spend, its how you spend what you've got.

This is only my opinion, others may disagree, many golf course maintinance programs, by following "conventional wisdom", have set up a situation with a very small margin for error.

LOCK HIM UP!!!

Mike_Young

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2006, 04:39:14 PM »
I really think people don't understand how important the square foot is in determining golf course maitenance cost....everything and I mean everythig is determined by the squarte foot whether it be green chemicals, fertilizer, man hours needed to mow greens or fairways, area to water, bunker area,......So add this to the distance problem also
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Craig Sweet

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2006, 09:33:51 PM »
Mike, square footage is part of the equation, but there are a lot of golf courses with large maintinance budgets and a small footprint to be maintained.  By and large budgets are determined by the desires of the membership.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Craig Sweet

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2006, 11:31:05 PM »
"Really, why do you think all the great sex is happening is trailer parks.."

I knew there was a reason why I lived in this damn trailer park! And to think I thought it was because of the low pay I receive for working at the golf course ;D
LOCK HIM UP!!!

SB

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2006, 10:25:54 PM »
Mike,

I'd disagree with you that the industry is aloof.  Maybe it's just the guys I hang out with, but 90% of the supers I've met are the ones you're talking about that are doing a lot with a little.  10% is not the industry.

Compare it to a home remodeling showroom, which I've spent too much time in lately.  You walk around and all you see is Viking Ranges, Sub-Air fridges, wine cellars, and so on.  Do people buy that and spend $100K on a kitchen?  Sure.  But, the majority of people are buying from Sears and Home Depot.  

That said, there are plenty of people in life who think anything but a Viking is crap, and there are people on this board who think that anything less than a million dollar maintenace budget is crap.  

At the end of the day, people will spend what they want to spend, and logic has nothing to do with it.  As Craig says, it is determined by the desires of the membership.  And, if the membership wants to spend more money, they will spend more money.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2006, 11:17:43 PM »
I do love a Viking gas oven and range ;D

I was in the maintinence shop last week and the super, his assistant, and the equipment guy were making new axles for our leaf vacuem.  They didn't buy a pre made axle...they felt the original axles had some flaws that led to them breaking, so they enginered the new ones, cobbed up some parts they had, bought the parts they didn't have, and made the axles.

This is what I like about not having an infinite supply of money to spend. You figure out how to make things work and sometimes you come up with something better.

LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back