News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Parker

Aerial of the Week 2
« on: February 05, 2006, 09:28:16 PM »
Well, after a very easy initial offering (it was Oakmont!), I'm back with a course that I think will be substantially more difficult to identify.  I'm only going to post the photo tonight, and I'll add a clue on Tuesday, another on Wednesday, etc.
I won't be too surprised if someone gets it from just the photo, considering all the sharp people that belong to this discussion group.  But it won't be nearly as easy as Oakmont...

Don't forget to IM me with your answer...!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 09:32:56 PM by Chris Parker »
"Undulation is the soul of golf." - H.N. Wethered

Chris Parker

Re:Aerial of the Week 2
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 09:59:09 PM »
This course, designed by Willie Park Jr., opened in 1919.

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 10:04:03 PM »
Is it in either Indiana or Pennsylvania?

C

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 10:08:02 PM »
Carlyle,

It's not Indiana CC in Indiana, PA... which coincidentally is Willie Park, Jr.  ;)

mark chalfant

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 10:11:13 PM »
Chris   is It Mt.   Bruno or  Laval   in Quebec ??

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 10:40:42 PM »
It's obviously not Brickyard Crossing.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 11:03:27 PM »
Interesting looking, but I don't think I've been there.  The clubhouse looks extremely unusual in style.  I bet I could number the holes pretty easily -- first goes to the bottom, clockwise around the bottom half, winds inside itself for 6-7-8-9; the cool par-5 along the top is #12 and the hole with all the bunkers is the 18th.

I'd second the guess of Mount Bruno.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 12:40:49 AM »
It is Mt. Bruno, the bunkers at the clubhouse are Thompson, as is much of the bunkering.....until McBroom recently redid them. I understand the changes were minor, I have the before photos, but haven't gone to se the results.

The golf course used to be completely clear of trees except the loop of three going through the forest. The course sits on a high plateau on Mt. Bruno, looking down into the town nearby. Trees now obscure the view that used to be present on the 10th. The setting is quite something, particularly with the long views it would have once featured. The architecture has moments of brilliance, but does not stand out from the other work in Montreal.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 12:45:19 AM by Ian Andrew »

T_MacWood

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 06:24:02 AM »
At the time of Willie Park's death, a friend wrote that WPII felt Mt. Bruno was his best design in Canada; it was the course he was most fond of as well. It opened in 1919 and hosted the Canadian Open in 1922.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 09:05:26 AM »
Tom,

You realize it looks like Colt reviewed the same property in 1912 for Royal Montreal and encouraged them to stay where they were.

Go see it, it is worth the visit, but I can assure you there are many pedestrian holes in among the really good ones. The trees have diminshed the overall quality of the course by removing the long views.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 09:05:54 AM by Ian Andrew »

James Edwards

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 09:48:26 AM »
Interesting routing - on both nines, the loop hugs the boundary for the first few holes and then works itself in before squeezing for the clubhouse ...
@EDI__ADI

Chris Parker

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 03:48:02 PM »
Guys, thanks for the great information on Mount Bruno!  

Ian,

I'd love to see those photos sometime.  Photos of Mount Bruno are proving to be hard to come by!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 08:55:35 PM »
Bump for Tom Paul

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back