News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

McCullough's Emerald Golf Links--Not a Dump Anymore!!
« on: February 17, 2006, 04:07:33 PM »
    I was very fortunate to play here today. The wind was steadily 25 mph with gusts upwards of 40 + mph.  I can't recall having a club that I was carrying in my hand being blown around this much.This made the course play like a visit to real linksland.

Each of the holes is intended to be a remake of a specific hole in Scotland or Ireland.Three of the holes were holes in Ireland that I have played.

#1 was intended to model #1 at Royal Portrush. My recollection of the distinguising feature of #1 RPR is the uphill nature of the green complex. Unfortunately this was not the case here.

#12 was to mimic #3 at Royal County Down. #3 RCD is one of my all time favorite holes. It doglegs slightly to the right while this hole went gently left. But the feel of the hole was similar. Instead of the view of the Irish Sea on the tee you saw a retaining pool for some type of treatment facility.It was a good hole though.

#17 was to be like #11 at Waterville. It was the closest replication. Of course the dunes were only tiny mounds but the uphill  tee shot then downhill to the green reminded me of Tranquility.

I preferred the holes that I had not played  overseas because I could not make any comparisons. I will make some observations.

It seemed to be a poor man's NGLA. A friend got me  thinking of this as we played the uphill blind tee shot 300 yard hole. He asked if  it reminded me of #2 at NGLA. Not exactly, but it did get me to think about the place as a less ambitious version of NGLA.

There was a ton of room on this course. This enabled it to feel more like a links than many other linksy type courses I have played in the area. There aren't alot of tall mounds separating holes.This is an annoying feature of linksy type courses around here. We can't resist separating holes.

#2 Biarritz was  a weak imitation of what I understand the hole to  be like. The dip was not the same as I expected.

#3 was to be like #18 Gleneagles (King's). The carry bunkering was a blast and the green sat up quite a bit and fell off dramatically over the back. It was a fine hole.

#7 was the Tillinghast award winning design. The other two guys I was with stood on the tee for a few minutes trying to figure where to go. Everyone decided to take the heroic route. We thought the penalty was not enough to give up all that distance by going right.

#10 --#14 Royal Dornoch .. This made me want to go there for the original. This was a green that sat up a couple of feet off the ground all the way around. This is what I hear about Dornoch.

#11 was the blind uphill tee shot. The look of the tee shot reminded me of #3 at Lahinch.

#15--another Dornoch--#5-- This has been launced to the top of favorite short par fours in the area. The hole was under 300 yards. The fairway went straight out BEYOND the green. The green was twenty yards to the right of the fairway.

#16--Royal Troon #8- I wonder if this original has a kidney shaped green.

We recently talked about whether the average guy cares about GCA. This course is a good test for that question because every hole is designed with architecture in mind.

Twisted Dune is about a mile down the road. I was amazed at how differently the land was used at these two courses. You guys have no idea how boring the terrain in South Jersey is. TD built up  dramatic dunes and created some elevation change as well. EGL used bunkering  much more for strategy,with that all that width being essential.. It also had fifty feet of elevation change used well for tee shots up and down the hills.

Some of the pleasure may be  because we were able to go an hour away from our snow covered area and play golf; some may be because the wind was fantastic. Because of all the space in play we were able to be well off course but still have some sort of shot. Without the wind this would not have been true.

The reason I say it is not a dump anymore is because it was built on a landfill.

You can  go to their website and see the other holes. www.mcculloughsgolf.com
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 02:32:42 PM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

Matt_Ward

Re:McCullough's Emerald Golf Links--Not a Dump Anymore!!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 04:22:06 PM »
Mayday:

McCullough's has had an colorful history even for such a young cours. It seems the surrounding CCFAD's have a major issue with the town usurping their role as golf providers because it is connected to the local political establishment.

In regards to the golf course -- architect Stephen Kay did a fine job given the lack of features the existing land provided.

I salute him in re-creating the famed Lido hole with the 7th at Emerald Links.

The downside of the course -- the two (2) holes across from the main property (#15 & #16) do not fit one iota with what the course is about. They look your basic rendition of Myrtle Beach golf that has been jettisoned to the Jersey Shore.

The finale is also a major letdown -- it's simply bombs away for the big hitteres. I mentioned to Stephen that the water on the right needs to be more in play to keep long hitters from simply sitting back and launching.

Emerald Links also lack in term of overall details with the putting surfaces. No doubt some of that has to rest with the fact that the budget was likely limited on the architectural side of things. Nonetheless, it's an interesting course at times. I especially like the start of the back nine and the "links"-like atmosphere. For those looking for an entertaining winter golf option Emerald Links is indeed a decent option.

Mayday -- what was the shape of the putting surfaces. From my last visit in '05 the surfaces were quite uneven in terms of turf / speed.

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 04:42:16 PM »
 Matt,
    The green surfaces don't compare well with Scotland Run , Twisted Dune , or Glen Mills. These are three other public courses that I enjoy.

I loved #15 but these two holes did sit among trees so I see your point.

The course reminded me of the experience at Ardglass in N.Ireland. Ardglass is not as ambitious as the nearby great Royal County Down. But it has some great holes and is wide open to the effects of the wind. EGL seems to work as a sister course to  Twisted Dune . I would rather try 18 at the two of them the next time instead of 36 at TD.

AKA Mayday

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 08:16:14 PM »
Mayday:

The most unique aspects of Emerald Links rests with the holes prior to the final four. Kay deserves credit because the land area he had to work with is simply devoid of anything of note.

The 15th, 16th and 18th simply failed to elevate what you experienced prior to that lackluster trio.

One other suggestion -- you may want to travel next time to Tuckerton (exit 58 off GS Pkwy) and play George Fazio's first design -- Ocean County at Atlantis. Has plenty of interesting architectural elements that are quite good given it was his first design.

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 08:21:44 PM »
We will do that.
AKA Mayday

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 11:19:01 AM »
Mayday:

One of the more noted holes at Atlantis in Tuckerton is the par-3 7th. A gorgeous design with the elevated tee exposing all of the challenges that lie ahead.

George Fazio used the existing wash-out area of the bunker to feed into the pond that fronts the putting surface. The rear of the green simply recedes into the pine barrens area that comes with any shot that is hit too hard.

I understand that much of the details have been lost and Ocean County which runs the place now is more interested int he golf mill potential than in restoring all the aspects.

Truth be told -- Atlantis has the possibility in being one of the top 4-5 golf options along the Jersey Shore. Definitely check it out and let me know.

One other thing -- you may need to visit Cape May National at the far end of the GS Pkwy -- the bulk of the course is forgettable -- however the final hole is arguably among the 2-3 best for all public courses in the Garden State.

tomgoutman

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 11:57:29 AM »
Mayday:

Which course do you think is better and/or did you enjoy playing more, EGL or Hidden Creek? Why?

redanman

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 12:09:03 PM »
MEGL

MWard somehow got it right that 16 & 16 don't fit, but as a general comment, EGL is a little bit of a mish-mash, but it is a very fun and interesting course to play.  It has a lot of variety but suffers from a little bit too much variety with the lido hole, the 9th and 18th off where they  are and 15 & 16 (Taken by themselves they are really OK, it's jsut that they had to add a parcel (use gooooogle local to find the aerial and you can see for yourself.))  

The Lido hole is also of such a large scale compared to most of the rest of the course, it does seem slightly akilter and out of place.  MEGL is probably as good of a value as there is at the Jersey Shore, plus it is walkable.  It is unfair to compare its greens to its neighbors because of budget, etc, they are appropriate for the ownership/budget.  A fun place to go.

Hidden Creek

Flatter, better-conditioned and a crowd-pleaser on gca.com.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 12:14:37 PM »
For those of you who have been there, how good a replication of the Lido hole is it, on a 1-100 scale?

I would love to build that hole exactly to the plan someday, but I wouldn't want to do a C version of it, and I've always had the sense that's all anyone would build.

PS to Mayday:  Atlantic City CC is now public-access, so you can include it on your next trip, too.

redanman

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 12:20:59 PM »
So Mucci doesn't get after me I'll defer to Brad Klein who consulted/assisted on the Lido hole.  I never saw the original!  ;)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 04:07:01 PM »
Bill:

Thanks for telling me that "somehow I got it right" / re: the 15 and 16th holes at Emerald Links. Geeze, I appreciate the nod that I could unearth such a difference between the two holes across the street from the rest of the layout.

Gents:

The Lido hole at McCullough's is quite good -- albeit the alternate route is less likely to be used because of the extra distance one needs to cover. The hole clearly provides a conversation item when playing there.

No doubt the addition of ACCC to the public scene is indeed a welcome addition given how tough it was to play when Park Place Entertainment opted only for high rollers.

mike_malone

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2006, 05:12:43 PM »
tomgoutman,

If I were to play both courses in a thirty mph wind I would choose MEGL over HC. In normal wind HC would be the preference. But I can play MEGL whenever I want and can't play HC whenever I want. That counts for something to me.

The HC problem for me is one of expectations. MEGL is not angling for top 100 status.

You should have made your own judgement but you have misplaced priorities.Mr. Ham is placing it in his rota!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 05:17:52 PM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

JeffTodd

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2006, 08:12:20 PM »
The Lido hole is quite enjoyable, and the scale of it needs to be seen to be believed. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to see all the features of the hole while standing on the tee box due to the flat nature of the hole and the lack of elevated tees. This is one hole that could really use an extra six feet of earth under the teeing ground.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 07:07:06 AM »
I concur with Jeff Todd re elevating the tee on the Lido hole. Since the feautres of the hole are to difficult to see the result is the foursome looking at the yardage book debating and deciding which way to go. I don't think there is GPS at Emerald Links.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 07:08:19 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

tomgoutman

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 12:40:51 PM »
Mayday:

I do have to show up to work once in awhile, so I can't go on all of yours and Mr. Ham's expeditions. It sounds like a fun course. How about this afternoon? It's 35 but it feels a lot warmer.

Brad Klein

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 12:49:33 PM »
Actually, the inspiration for the 7th at McCullough's Emerald Links was the award-winning MacKenzie drawing from 1914 - which was, of course, the basis for the Lido hole. I was standing there with Kay in the middle of this enormous flat open space; it must be about 12-13 acres and well over 120-yards wide. All along he was thinking about British/Irish replica holes for this landfill. I just figured what the heck and suggested it to him. You can blame Kay for its success or failure, but I know he spent a lot of time making sure all of the angles worked and there was enough risk/reward down the left side. There are some obvious weaknesses on the course, but this hole is not among them. And the green has an awful lot of tilt to it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 04:45:30 PM by Brad Klein »

mike_malone

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 02:13:28 PM »
   #7 was the Tillinghast award winning design. The other two guys I was with stood on the tee for a few minutes trying to figure where to go. Everyone decided to take the heroic route. We thought the penalty was not enough to give up all that distance by going right.

Brad,

This  is what I said in my opening post.

This was a small sample of three players--hdcps13-17-19--. I think the carry option needs more intimidation.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 02:34:00 PM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

Jay Flemma

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 03:40:31 PM »
Tom:

I liked the hole alot...lets call it 85 out of 100...lots of great options.

Redman and everyone else, you're right, 15 and 16 kinda dont fit, but I thought the watery 9th and some of the other water holes with that huge lake were the real eyesores...but the price is really competitive...Twisted Dunes is twice to three times as much!

My fave hole is the one with the two towering dunes through which to hit your drive (I think its 11?).  I love blind shots!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 03:50:58 PM by Jay Flemma »

mike_malone

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 03:47:14 PM »
 Jay,

I put their web address on the first post. You can check out a map of the holes there. #11 is a blind tee shot that is very reminiscent of Ireland. I thought of #3 Lahinch. In keeping with the links type nature of the course there is a huge amount of space for the ball to go on the other side of the hill.

In Ireland you might see a white rock at the top of the hill to guide you. Here it was a sign saying "Point at the towers"--cell towers!!
AKA Mayday

Jay Flemma

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 03:49:54 PM »
Mayday:

Yup, I was right first time...number 11 it is...

I'll take "obscure golf holes" for $1,000 please Alex!

mike_malone

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2006, 03:58:46 PM »
 I think the most important question about #15 and #16 is
 " How faithful to the Scottish holes are these holes?"

I loved #15 as a short par four. I would like to know how close to #5 at Dornoch it really is. Is Dornoch's #5 a short four with sharp dogleg at the end and a blind view from the tee?  

How close to the "postage stamp" is #16 ?

I thought the water on #9 and #18 was fine. In each case the closer to the water you went the better approach angle you had. And if you went away from it you could have a blind shot from the right on #9 or be hitting off the side of a hill on #18----both things happened to me. You need to remember it was 30+mph wind that day and avoiding the water was the #1 consideration.
AKA Mayday

Tom_Doak

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2006, 04:35:53 PM »
The fifth at Dornoch is not blind.

And MacKenzie's design for the Country Life contest had lots of elevational markings on it -- some really eye-popping ones at that, which was why I asked about it.  The tee would be elevated for one thing, and there would be 8 feet of fall from back to front on the green.

mike_malone

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2006, 05:02:17 PM »
 Tom,

That is interesting. I wonder how differently we would have perceived the hazards from an elevated tee. But I think they needed to be more imposing to us to choose the right side. The loss of distance was perceived as too much to give up.

Would the approach to the green be easier from the right side ? If so , it might have improved the odds.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 05:06:53 PM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2006, 09:17:40 PM »
One thing that impressed me about MEGL was the playable space beyond the fairways. All the other links type courses I have played in the area have separated the holes through the use of mounds or dunes (I won't even speak of courses calling themselves "links" that separate the holes with trees!). This really enhanced the strategic effect of the bunkering on this course. We talk so much on here about how  fairway bunkers become marginalized by the narrowing of fairways and the addition of trees.You can see here how the space works in harmony with the wind.
AKA Mayday

Matt_Ward

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2006, 09:37:04 AM »
Mayday:

No doubt there are moments at Emerald Links but I agree with Bill V -- they are often fleeting and at times confusing because of the lack of consistency of the design.

Emerald Links is the cheap version of what you see down the street with Twisted Dunes. Kay gives you some glimpses of what may appear to be "links" type golf but too often the course is interjected with a number of inferior holes that make you scratch your forehead and say, "What's this?"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back