News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

TOC+VAT=Gordon Brown loves you
« on: February 15, 2006, 08:45:58 AM »
I note from the Links Trust website that Group Bookings (by tour Operators, Hotels and so on) are now subject to VAT (Value Added Tax) which runs at 17.5% in the UK.

Individual Bookings remain Tax exempt.

So the choice now is: either arrange yourself for £120 or pay the Tour Company £141 (probably PLUS their Handling, etc). My advice - come as singles or don't come at all.

Could they EVER price themselves out of the Market?

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

redanman

Re:TOC+VAT=Gordon Brown loves you
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 10:09:54 AM »
FDB

Most of the time at TOC - say in the afternoon,  singles, maybe twosomes walking up to the starter usually works to get you out in an hour or so, yes or no?

Get my e-mail yet?

BV

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 10:12:46 AM »
Martin:  Pebble Beach is $450 and Americans want to play The Old Course just as much.

ForkaB

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 10:59:14 AM »
My understanding is that art is exempt from VAT (I know that books are).  So, is Gordon saying that The Old Course is not a piece of art?  If so, I hope Hadji MacWood reads this post and reads him the riot act!

DISCLAIMER:  Gordon Brown is my MP, or would be if I chose to be a British "subject."

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 12:40:11 PM »
Maybe if Gordy had spent a bit more time dodging Skool like all the other Kirkcaldy boys and playing golf at Balwearie or Dunnikier...

..he might not have been such a Swotty Simon and turned out a bit better!

Bill - got your message. Will keep you posted.

Tom - I saw the PB Rates when we were there in December. Eye-Wateringly painful!!! I guess Market Rates will prevail.

FBD

PS Would anyone care to guess just what The Links Trust COULD get away with charging for TOC. £300?
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

redanman

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 01:46:06 PM »
Martin ;)

The Links Trust could easily have a program whereby American visitors are charged £350-1000+ per head depending on their ability to pass a test on the history of golf, how large their bag is, how many trophy bag tags they carry, how willing they are to carry or use a trolley, and charge the rest of the world's visitors £30 or so.  There are a lot of people in the USA with more money than sense.

A fool and his money and all that.....

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 02:03:33 PM »
Martin ;)

A fool and his money and all that.....

Bill,

I read somewhere that if one omits Florida, more Brits travel to Las Vegas than any other state.

Bob

David Sneddon

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 02:56:47 PM »
I know they were charging VAT on groups as far back as 2003.  It only applies, as matin pointed out, to tee times made through Travel/Tour companies and Hotels.
You can still organize a group of 8 golfers and apply and arrange for tee times VAT free.

The current greens fee makes me weep, though, since I remember my first greens fee at TOC was 10 shillings (about $1.25US), and the starters shack was really a shack. :-)

Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back