News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Tilley

The Golf Channel
« on: February 13, 2006, 03:35:23 AM »
I've recently changed my TV package and now have the Golf Channel. Having never seen it before are there any interesting programs on there? Is there any programs about great golf courses or is it mainly instruction?

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:The Golf Channel
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 07:50:27 AM »
Other than reruns of Shell's WWG  Celebrity Golf with Sam Snead, Golf with Style travel show or The Big 3,  actual programs "about great golf courses" are non existent on TGC. If you can get Fine Living channel, add that to your service. Wandering Golfer and Dream 18 series are good golf shows.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Brad Klein

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 08:21:39 AM »
Big Break 5 - Hawaii is some of the best-written dramas to be found anywhere on TV these days. I can't imagine how you could go two days without seeing it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 12:37:07 PM by Brad Klein »

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 08:30:57 AM »
In two days they probably show the program 50 times  :P  

None of the hosts on any of the shows are any good.  They are stiff and without personality.  I agree with Steve, besides the tournaments, SWWG. and a few of the other classic replays there isn't much of anything worthwhile.  They stick to formulas like the magazines with instruction and reality shows.  Big Break sucks.

Why not hire Ben Crenshaw or Tom Paul to play match play events on classic era and modern classic courses around the world discussing architecture and tournament histories?  When playing modern courses, Crenshaw can play the architect (with handicaps) and they can talk architecture or anything else.  It would be great.  

This would be a lot better than Vince Cellini and his tan ad libbing with a bunch of would-be pros without the real deal games.  Some of the girls aren't bad looking though  ;)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 08:35:20 AM »
and to think that TGC is the possible full-time home of the pga tour   ???

Haven Marceau

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 08:41:25 AM »
"Playing Lessons with the Pros" is a nice program.  Often times the player they're following will discuss what the architect was looking to do, and how they avoid falling into the traps the architect has laid out, etc.

It's about the only program where design creeps in.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 08:52:46 AM »
Most of the programming on there can be numbing at best-definitely reaches the point of diminshing returns.  However, the one thing I particularly like on it, in the weeks leading up to majors, are the "Golf Channel Classics".  Very often do I get  chance to see tournaments I missed or haven't seen for several years.  
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

mike_malone

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 09:27:13 AM »
 Getting the Euro tour early in the year is the best part. The finish in Perth was far superior to the ATT. The Tiger playoff with Ernie and Reteif in the field was also good. I particularly love those Australian courses.
AKA Mayday

redanman

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 09:44:49 AM »
MM beat me to it.  I can't miss a Euro Tour event

-Renton Laidlaw & Co. - Easily the best team on TV
-Interesting travelogs about the tour site & surrounds
-Overall more and better info about the course and a variety. (I was particularily surprized teo see that the Vines was a housing development yet no houses visible on TV.  Surely you could tell it wasn't the USA USA USA)
-Better drama (more likely pathos and humor)
-Wide variety of sets-up for golf

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 11:16:48 AM »
I will be ordering TGC immediately based on Mr. Klein's recommendation!

I do not get TGC at home. It seems that whenever I'm on the road and get to watch, it's mostly paid programming. I do enjoy the European Tour broadcasts, though the times are often inconvenient.

TGC presents many fine programs one will not find anywhere else, but one must survey the schedule, becuase he will rarely turn it on to find something interesting playing in prime time slots.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

David Neveux

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 11:22:36 AM »
Be sure to check out "The Daly Planet,"  John Daly's reality TV show.  It's absolutely priceless, a lot of laughs.  I believe its on Wednesday nights at 10:00 or 10:30.  

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 12:02:51 PM »
I am a big fan of the Euro Tour broadcasts. Living in San Francisco, they are shown here roughly 6-9am. Watching a little golf makes a great way to start the day. GCA's Mike Clayton was on the broadcast team this past weekend for the Johnnie Walker tourney from Perth.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 12:44:10 PM »
I usually play golf in the morning, the earlier the better. In the winter time between the late sunrise and the inevitable frost delays I have a couple hours to kill on Saturday and Sunday mornings before leaving the house. Watching the Euro Tour coverage on the Golf Channel always puts me in the mood to go play (unlike sitting around reading the newpapers which just depresses me).

I especially like events with Ernie Els in the field. A good dose of seeing his swing is just the ticket to help slow down my usual Zorro swish-swish action...

JohnV

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 12:57:20 PM »
TGC advertises that they have the rights to all the episodes of SWWG, but they only ever show the new ones in the evenings.  I'm getting tired of seeing Couples and Campbell, Lefty and Toms etc.  Show us some more of the cool old ones from around the world.

I agree with Haven that Playing Lessons from the Pros is good and I'm someone who hates instructional shows and articles in magazines.

They won't be a real channel until they get rid of the paid programming and the eternal re-runs of the Big Break and all the other shows.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 01:08:29 PM »
Has anyone ever organized any feedback drive for the Golf Channel itself?  If we send some emails en masse seeking out classic SWWG's, maybe they'll put a few more of them out.

It's also nice to have Golf Central available when you'd otherwise have to wade through a lot of other stuff on SportsCenter, and if you're looking for extra coverage on any major, they're always good for that too.

Otherwise it does seem to be the Big Break Channel, or another rerun of "The Perfect Club."  How horrible an infomercial is that!  Its closest competitor has to be the Hammer Driver, complete with WWF-style primal screams at impact.

JohnV

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 01:10:14 PM »
Another thing that bothers me about TGC is that some of the clubs they sell through infomercials are not legal.

Chris Moore

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 02:12:41 PM »
Based on some of the posts here it looks like some would rather TGC stop broadcasting altogether.  What would I do at night without TGC?  Sleep more?  Read more?  I can't bear the thought.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 02:22:33 PM »
I'm getting tired of seeing Couples and Campbell,
You mean there are other ones besides the match at Kauri Cliffs? Its a beautiful place and they are fine golfers, but it is amazing how  often that match comes on when I flip on TGC.  Of course, I did win $100 betting some guy that Campbell would hole out for eagle on 10 :)

As to the suggestions on programming--I assume they air what they think is most profitable/viewable by the widest audience.  While many of us assume that most people would be thrilled at the chance to watch Mucci vs Paul at a variety of classic courses, there is a chance that some golfers would prefer Big Break 5.
But in all seriousness, from someone kinda clueless on TV programming, would there not be a moderately sized group of viewers who already watch TGC who would want to watch shows that highlight  the classics?  Why isn't that a feature on TGC?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

George Pazin

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 02:39:55 PM »
Somebody must be watching the Big Break. I haven't seen it yet, thought it would flop miserably, yet they're on the 5th iteration.

They used to show the old SWWG more often, now you're lucky to catch one late at night. There used to be a site where you could buy old videos - I highly recommend the Classic Package, with Hogan v Snead in Houston, Sarazen v Cotton at TOC and Nelson v Littler at PV - but I haven't been able to find the site recently, so maybe it's gone.

As for Playing Lessons with the Pros, the Pavin one is great, it's filmed at Aronimink. The Rose one isn't bad, that Champions Gate course was more compelling on the tube than folks have said on this site. How frustrating was it that the Furyk at Kapalua one wasn't filmed on The Plantation Course?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

john_stiles

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2006, 03:51:46 PM »
The Golf Channel is okay with a remote in your hand.

I enjoy most of the European tournament shows, the old Shell Wonderful World of Golf,  the coverage of the majors, and the 'majors' rebroadcasts.

Don't enjoy much of the rest.  Didn't like the move of Golf Central to 11:30 pm eastern time but then I'm on eastern time and not a night owl.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2006, 04:34:31 PM »
Renton Laidlaw, Warren Humphreys and Ken Brown. It just doesn't get any better than those guys!! Best Telecast in the business. I would rather have the Sky or BBC telecasts of American majors. Did anyone see Renton skiing in Dubai?

Tim MacEachern

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2006, 04:48:42 PM »
I agree the Golf Channel has some wonders and some drek.  I watched "Babe" from there last week (golf Cinema) -- a real tear-jerker.

Some of the Playing Lessons From the Pros are fine, and some of their interviews are good.  Of course, the infomercials are easily ignored.  

The European Tour coverage is easily worth the whole cost, as others have said.  I was extremely disappointed that the Els/Woods playoff last week was so short, but "ya gets what ya get".  Three of the top 5 in the world in that tournament.  And was it Richard Green with the unfortunate finish?  I can identify with that.

I also loved the showdown in December between Els and Goosen.  I though Els had him until the miracle shot on 17.  But the steady play of Els really impressed me -- that's the way to keep the pressure on through the tournament.

I also think they're always looking for good, golf-related ideas.  So I give them a pass on the attempts that don't work.  For instance, the golf fitness show looks impossible to me, but I'd like to see some sort of golf fitness show.  Much more basic though.

Anyway, none of us have enough time to watch all the stuff on there, but judicious use of a DVR will mean you never have to watch "Everybody Loves Raymond" again.  Unless, of course, it intrudes into the ATT :).

Oh, one more:  LPGA action.  SBS Open at Turtle Bay:
Feb 16 6:30-9:00 PM ET TGC
Feb 17 6:30-9:00 PM ET TGC
Feb 18 6:30-9:00 PM ET TGC

'Nuff said.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2006, 06:09:14 PM »
Overall I like the Golf Channel. It's difficult for a single sport or activity network to have programming that is always thoughtful and provocative. My cable system provides the Speed Channel, NFL Network, NBA Channel, an all tennis channel, the Outdoor Life Network, and the Fox Soccer Channel. In addition to activity channels such as food, travel, fine living, etc. For comparison purposes I think the Golf Channel is in the top teir.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 04:56:54 AM »
Another thing that bothers me about TGC is that some of the clubs they sell through infomercials are not legal.

Worse yet, several years ago they ran an ad for some grease (or whatever) you'd spray on the club face.  Yeah, a little illegal... I did send 'em an email asking about that.  Never heard back, but I must not have been the only one who wrote - I never saw the ad again.

Jason

Ed Tilley

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 05:16:45 AM »
Thanks guys. Watched 20 minutes of 'Big Break V - Hawaii' last night. What a profound, thought provoking programme. I was moved to the point of tears when Nikki said 'This was serious, I said to myself like, whoa this is serious'. Serious stuff indeed.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back