News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Gracely

During today's telecast, they mention a few interesting aspects about 8-10

#10 tee used to be next to #9 green, causing the tee shot to carry over the ocean and back into the slope

#9 fairway used to be mowed down towards the ocean in the area right of the current landing aea

#8 fairway is not mowed to the far right, but that offers the shortest distance for the carry into the green.

Considering all of this, should the Pebble Beach Company consider reinstituting some of these aspects to give the day-to-day amateur more thrill in being close to the ocean?  

A_Clay_Man

Re:Could the ocean holes (8-10) at Pebble be more interesting for amateurs?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 04:23:22 PM »
Brian, I fthey think it would impove pace, they'd do anything. BUT, Most of the testosterone driver males want to play beyond their means, not with in them. What that implies is that it is good to be woman. Their teeing ground on ten is where you'd like it. ;)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 04:41:19 PM »
Brian, I think those are the most scenic,best and most challenging 3 hole strech in championship golf.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 04:56:27 PM »
Brian,

I picked up on those comments too.

The 9th hole looked very narrow.

One would hope that horizontal elasticity would be employed and that after the tournament was over, the fairway widths, as intended by the original designers, would be returned.

Unfortunately, theres a syndrome that golfers possess to a fault.  They want to play the same golf course that the best players in the world play, despite their inability to handle the conditions.

With the wind a significant factor on the ocean, the fairways should be widened.

Of course, it costs more to maintain wide fairways and I don't know if those green fees can support that level of maintainance.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 07:00:14 PM »
Pat, you forgot the ironic smiley faces!!  ;) :D ;D

Jim Nugent

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 12:25:07 AM »
Of course, it costs more to maintain wide fairways and I don't know if those green fees can support that level of maintainance.

That is simply handled. Double the greens fees.  

Mike Benham

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 02:05:16 AM »
#9 fairway used to be mowed down towards the ocean in the area right of the current landing aea

Perhaps it is just playing firm, fast and brown ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 08:22:54 AM »
That's a great pic Mike. Shows the dormant Kikuyu beautifully.

Brian. I'd speculate that it is the awkwardness of the current teeing grounds angle, that adds alot to the teeth of the hole. While teeing off over that tiny cove like cut-out, would be cool, just not as much puckerability. Firstly because way left is then out of the realm of possible. And while the bunkers are a nasty spot, left of the path is death. We're talking completly dead here, not mostly. I never cared for the walk back to the current ten tee. As a principle it's dangerous but, as a practical, it gets people to buy an 8 dollar hot dog. ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back