News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Shefchik

Pebble Beach #16: How long have those Stupid Trees been there?
« on: February 11, 2006, 04:01:17 PM »
I just noticed the two new trees staked at the end of the 16th fairway at PB. Sorry if they've already been discussed here -- I couldn't find a thread about them. They are obviously designed to pinch the angle of the approach shot, and seem to violate all precepts of thoughtful architecture. I thought they got it at Pebble Beach...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 04:01:53 PM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Mike_Cirba

Re:Pebble Beach #16: How long have those Stupid Trees been there?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »
Yeah, Rick...they're a couple of beauties, huh?    ::) :P :-\

I have a hunch the same folks who brought you the new bunkers on the left of 15, or that dandy on 18, brought those silly shrubs into play on 16.  
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 04:10:31 PM by Mike Cirba »

redanman

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 04:16:37 PM »
and you get 3 points, too.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 06:25:08 PM »
If you get 3 points for the field goal on 16, what do you get for negotiating those atrocious fairway bunkers on 14, especially those three on the left.

Gee...lets see...how about we severely penalize the guy who tries to play safer away from the OB corner on the right?  Why, let's take away any chance that the average player has to hit three safe shots and still be able to reach the green, albeit from an uncomfortable distance.

Rick,

You're assumption was incorrect...obviously, they DON'T get it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 06:25:45 PM by Mike Cirba »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 06:28:42 PM »
Hey, we gotta put all those trees that East Coast courses are removing somewhere. It's a conspiracy I tell you.

I noticed the trees too, and it saddened me. 16 is one of my favorite holes at Pebble, mainly because it doesn't need the ocean to make it so great.

Tom Zeni

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 06:33:05 PM »
Jimmy Nantz did say the trees on the 16th were planted because 2 other trees in that location died.

Actually, I'm still wondering why, after a brilliant 2nd shot on the 18th, Tom Brady's caddy didn't tell him that eagle putt broke so hard toward the ocean it almost required a turn signal!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 11:30:34 AM by Tom Zeni »

Tom Zeni

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 06:37:28 PM »
Kyle,

I still recall, during a playoff at Pebble, Ken Venturi saying there was no way Hale Irwin could reach the 16th green from the fairway bunker. Hale not only reached the green, but birdied the hole for win.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 12:26:31 AM »
Rick, What made you think they get it at PB?
I've been telling people for years about all the freshmen mistakes they make there. And we all should know who they are. ;)

Tom Zeni

One Improvement On The Celeb Front....
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 11:28:29 AM »
...was to conduct the celeb interviews at the far reaches of the course, and far from the maddening crowds, on the Par 3 12th hole. I thought it an exceptionally good move from McCord's couch on the 17th, that stacked up play on the entire back nine.

I also thought the camera shots looking back at the cliff of their signature hole #8, and the triangulation of 6,7,8 were magnificient.

However, looking at Cypress Point's 15th, and 16th from the angle the blimp had, was convoluted at best.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 11:30:07 AM by Tom Zeni »

Craig Sweet

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 11:36:59 AM »
Would anyone watch this tournament if it was held in Scotsdale, or anywhere else in California?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tom Zeni

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 12:02:30 PM »
Craig,

That brings us back to Jimmy Demaret's famous comment about Pebble. "If you moved this course 50 miles inland, no one would have heard of it."

ChipOat

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 08:13:41 PM »
Rick Shefchick:

As the originator of the proper noun, "Stupid Tree(s)" on this very DG, I thank you not only for using my very apt moniker to describe them, but for also being offended by those "bunkers in the sky" in the first place.

As you may recall from several previous threads over the years, it is the greenside Stupid Tree on Pebble's #18 that offends me more than any other Stupid Tree.

The Stupid Trees in the middle of the fairway on that same hole are a close second.

Keep the faith!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back