News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Checkerboards and stripes
« on: February 12, 2006, 03:48:51 PM »
Will the mowing patterns seen at Pebble Beach, as viewed from the blimp, cause green committees to replicate them ?

Michael Hayes

Re:Checkerboards and stripes
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 03:57:07 PM »
they already have!
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 03:57:11 PM »
Nope, only because 80% of all greenkeepers do anyway.

I thought one of the nice things about the 2002 US Open at Bethpage was the up and back mowing pattern. Looks elegant and also brings out more terrain features to the eye.

Kelly Blake Moran

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 05:20:24 PM »
The striping of a course is one of the most displeasing features on a course.

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 11:03:50 AM »
Kyle and Kelly I may need you to testify at a BOD meeting this year. I've been mowing fairways up and back for two years, hope I can stick with it.

David_Elvins

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 11:14:08 AM »
No golf green should look like one of Rodney Dangerfield's Jackets.

Definetly not a fan.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 11:23:49 AM »
I'm OK with it on the greens. To keep the greens as smooth and grain free as possible one must mow in different directions anyway, and this pattern will emerge to some degree naturally.

Mowing for the purpose of creating the pattern, however, particularly in fairways and even more so in the run up areas in front of greens looks preety horrible, I must agree, especially when the resulting pattern clashes with fairway and green patterns.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Steve_Lemmon

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 11:28:47 AM »
So, with heavily seeded rye like August has, do you think a mowing pattern makes a difference in how far the ball will roll?   I can tell you that the marshalls who work the event and who have watched the different mowing think it does.  

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 11:37:26 AM »
Steve:

A few years ago the players complained (so it was reported) because the MAster's committee ordered the fairways mowed toward the tees to create grain into the drives and thus control distance.

Now the players complain that the new tees change the character of the course.

I guess they just want to hit sand wedges into every hole.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 11:45:27 AM »
I sure hope not Pat. PB showed itself really well this week in play but that stripping drives me nuts sort of in the same way those mirrored balls and the strobe lights in discos used to drive me nuts.  ;)

wsmorrison

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 12:36:09 PM »
"PB showed itself really well this week in play but that stripping drives me nuts sort of in the same way those mirrored balls and the strobe lights in discos used to drive me nuts."

That was the cocaine kicking in, Tom "Studio 54" Paul.

peter_p

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 01:49:07 PM »
   Assume the checkboard pattern in the fairways promotes neutral grain. It may be a good year round practice, but could they skip it for television?
   As a suggestion, if the pin is tucked left and the right side of the fairway is the preferred line, for that day the right side of the fairway should be mowed "dark"  with the grain towards the golfer. Move the hole right, reverse the fairway mowing pattern.
   At least they haven't gone as far as the major league ballparks.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back